Unlimited access >

Picture of the "Man eating" Rich Strike snoozing with grooom in June 1 2022 Bloodhorse site today - Can't Copy and post

This is a really cute picture. His groom adores him and I think he really looks to his groom for security and direction. At of the day, I think he is a goofy 3 yr old still learning…

7 Likes

There’s a video of RS having a cute little roll, too, when he gets in his stall.

6 Likes

The video of Ritchie in his stall and Jerry (groom) sitting there and loving on him is a heart warmer. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Thanks for posting this on the site. It really is for all the “experts,” of the world/site that were ready to muzzle him , geld him, and everything else in between just because he acted like a “goofy,” “excited,” “worked up,” horse that most likely was "reacting to the all the surrounding energy from people yelling, and screaming. He also thought that he still he had a “race to run.” and could not get why they were stopping him.

I am glad they have found him a buddy pony ( e.g. Stormy) and outrider for the Belmont and have been schooling him on a daily basis. I but you we see a very polite and well behaved colt at the Belmont. I am glad his team understands him…

3 Likes

I don’t believe that anyone here referred to the horse as “man eating”. :roll_eyes:

It is clear from your posts that you have never handled entire 3 year old TB colts, nor have you handled stallions, and that you are minimizing the seriousness of Rich Strike’s behavior when he was biting the outrider and his horse. I’m also certain that you have never been bitten hard by a horse.

Your defense of Rich Strike’s behavior is strange to me. Do you have any concern for the terrified pony or the outrider that he attacked?

Rich Strike’s connections say that he is difficult to ride in the mornings and that he doesn’t like horses near him when he’s on the track. You bet they are working on those issues, because if he repeats his KD behavior his connections will have serious problems.

Some entire colts have very aggressive temperaments and controlling their aggressive behavior requires much more expertise than just “understanding him”, John Henry was an example (and he was a cranky horse even after he was gelded.) Hopefully Rich Strike will will come around, but there is no guarantee. We’ll see.

7 Likes

The term “man-eating” was used in jest… you may revisit the site that discussed his lousy behavior. I know more than I would like to about horses and poor behavior, and it is not only TBs!!! I had a friend with a young 3 yr old Andalusian colt, and prior to the gelding, his idea of fun was to through kicks at your head as you lunged in circles!!! Was it malice… no/ I think a very young horse, out of control, not respecting the handler and just acting like a very rude horse!!.

He carried this poor behavior to his work under the saddle. He reverted to " airs above the ground when he didn’t want to do something or had a temper tantrum. And he was very good at it.!!! I was terrified when he would leap off the ground and kick out. Please DO NOT TELL ME WHAT I KNOW ABOUT ILL BEHAVING YOUNG HORSES!!! The breed doesn’t matter; it should not be tolerated in any of them. I do not support Rich Strike’s behavior when it comes to salvaging that poor pony and rider. You may wish to reread what I posted because I NEVER said it was okay or acceptable for him to act so poorly. And I believe the rider’s actions were perfectly appropriate to protect himself and his horse.

It is individuals like yourself, however, who alleged that Rich Strike was a “nasty beast.” What I have noted is that in general Rich Strike seems to be an enjoyable, sweet horse; people-oriented horse if somewhat goofy and learning. There are plenty of videos of him all over the Internet, for the most part, he seems like a “good guy,” You may wish to look at his video on Bloodhorse of his workout at Churchill Downs. Yes, the halter comes off, and he does a few “life is good” jumps, not unusually for many a young TB or another young horse. Have you ever worked with young horses or been around them? They are the equivalent of pre-school or kindergarten kids all energy. They want to run and play and that is their nature. remember he is STILL a young horse. . He rears up once because he wants to get started, then settles down and does some fantastic gallop work. . His rider has a FANTASTIC seat!!! He goes from his gallop work to his breeze work and back to a gallop out the minute his riders ask him to and is tranquil and responsive to his rider. His rider hardly moves, and the transitions would get an 8 on any dressage test. His behavior is far from what I would consider “difficult to ride” for a three-year-old young colt. To me, acting just like a young horse, still green and learning. If my 12 TB starts o each ride with a few “life is good” and a or two … that would be a different story

Ultimately, his serious problem is being a HORSE and “acting like a horse” in an unnatural highly charged environment. When humans are involved, we take our horses and ask them to " NOT to act like a horse" when humans are involved. Rightfully, so, if we don’t, then someone human will get hurt or killed. In his case, he forgot his manners, and his trainers and followed through with his equine instinct and behavior.

I have yet to have seen him act so aggressive since then. In reality, I have seen HUMAN athletes, acting as out of control as he did at the Kentucky Derby. I am sure you have seen the videos of football players, hockey players, and baseball players going crazy in the “heat of battle,” brawls developing in the middle of the competition. Sometimes these guys “empty the sidelines.” Competition seems to do that to male athletes. I can understand where his behavior came from, trust I want not have to have been the outrider. But I can understand the reason for it and sharing the video is that he seems to be a nice guy at heart. I would take him. But then, I am used to the goofy young horses and their antics… some of which are just not an option. Hopefully, you better understand what I am saying. Take care.

You know all about ill behaving young horses because your friend had one that you’ve seen act out and it “terrified” you, and you’ve seen videos on the internet?

Yes, I have raised and trained four of my own horses from weanlings and have been paid to gentle and start babies for my employers back in the day.

Have you ever ridden a 3 year old? From your postings I doubt it very much. Your internet observations just don’t line up with reality. Since you have demanded my CV, I would like to hear yours as far as training young horses is concerned.

It would behoove you to educate yourself in the real world of young horses by training a few, before you lecture people who have actually been there and done that. By the way, horses don’t “salvage”, at least I’ve never had one that did.

ETA Rich Strike’s’s rider is the one that said that he is a difficult ride. Interesting that you disagree with him. :thinking:

This is you , right?; Maximum Sercurity and Stage 1 Lamness in ALL 4 limbs, feltlocks, hocks, gaskins -- Why is this okay with racing industry

1 Like

To correct myself; I have started three, not four, of my own horses from weanlings. The fourth I had as an broke 2 year old.

I can’t count the other babies I’ve started, not because there have been so many, but because they weren’t mine, they were my employer’s, and my memory is not what it used to be. I’m guessing around six or seven.

You opine that Rich Strike is far from, what you consider, “difficult to ride”. His rider disagrees with you. What experience do you have, riding any young horse, that makes you feel confident in contradicting this horse’s rider?

I can’t believe you are serious when you say that this horse would “get an 8 on any dressage test” for his “transitions” when he “goes from his gallop work to his breeze work and back to a gallop”. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Yes, I HAVE ridden the three-year-old babies, many of them!!! Over 20+ years working with horses. MY favorite type of horse to ride is young and goofy ones because it is fun to see when they get something right!!! My young babies have ranged from the young TBs to cute goofy ones of mixed breeds; the dumbs, and the crazy the Andalusian. (My Grand Prix Dressage trainer found him too dangerous to ride. He scared his owner to death and now he is a pasture pet). Sorry for the typo in my post. Since you could not figure out what I meant, I meant SalVAGE. Does that help you? Would you like me to define the word too?

Perhaps Rich Strike’s rider considers him a challenging ride, BUT he does a fantastic job ridding him. The video shows a very sensible, responsive, and pleasant. Horse. I suggest you WATCH IT instead of just criticizing people. Who knows what is going on between horse and rider and what communication is occurring between the two. The video doesn’t show that. What you see is a lovely team. Both experienced and beginners would appreciate what it shows. It is a nice picture of teamwork. And maybe the rider is WORKING very hard to present that picture, but that is WHAT good horsemanship is all about. When horse and rider work so well together that the outcome appears effortless, you know that they are “working together,” and something is going right. Did you know that? At least in my world, that is a reality. I want my aids to be so soft, gentle, and directive that it looks like the horse is just reading my mind. You should not see what I am asking the horse to do, and yes, IT IS A LOT OF WORK to do and hard work on the part of the rider because your seat has to be near perfect! Many people here will tell you that a good ride with their hor see is not an “easy ride,” You don’t just throw yourself on the animal’s back and ask him to cart yourself around.

PIayful moments, the little tantrums, the “happy moment bucks,” are part of riding a young green horse and yes it is HARD WORK because whatever you put in their mind is going to stay there and you mentally mess up a young horse. In riding Rick Strike I would think you are riding him you are working on his relation, and responsiveness as well as speed because he has to have both when racing. You don’t want to fight with him but at the same time, you are teaching him to be responsive to his rider. And it has to be a good experience THAT IS WORK and NOT AN EASY THING TO DO…

I am not sure you mean by "paid to gentle and start babies. " you are talking about socializing young, breaking to saddle and bridle, or getting into the saddle and teaching them something. If you have done any of the above, you would know that they are brilliant, and other days their attention is not there. If you have worked with young horses, that is a given; I’m not sure your point. If you have never experienced moments when the three-year-old brain seems to have taken a vacation, please tell the rest of us what your secret is; Those of us working with a young horse would like to know.

Clueless as to what you talking about when it comes to Maximum Security, No, that is not me. Please share with all here how a horse lame in all four legs is able to stand. Enjoy your weekend. I have to go work with my three-year-old Paso Fino -TB cross . He is really cute and a nice mover…

1 Like

We are not talking “trot -extended trot-walk- halt,” here. Have you ever scribed for a dressage judge. In addition to moment they are looking for responsiveness, balance, gait whether two beat, three, four beat, relaxation, etc. . Granted he is wearing a running martingale, but when asked up up the pace from gallop to breeze he willingly moves forward, staying relaxed, no head tossing, when asked to go from breeze to gallop, he comes back to the rider, stays balanced, no head tossing, when to come down from gallop to trot he does so easily keeping balanced, moving forward and a nice three beat gait. I take it you did not look at the video before making your comments., if so you would have understood what I was referring to. clearly due to the excellent riding and HARD work of his rider.

1 Like

[quote=“penelopeandthecats, post:10, topic:773132”]
In addition to “moment” should re “movement.” SORY for the typo. That you for your understanding.

Whatever…Richie does not need defending on this board, he just acted like a horse can and will act in certain circumstances. Particularly young ones faced with situations they’ve never experienced before. Testosterone and adrenaline added to this situation. His people are dealing with it not repeating. Pretty sure nobody expected his reaction and don’t think anybody did anything “wrong” that needs “defending”.

7 Likes

No, It doesn’t.

SaLvage – as in ‘saving or rescuing a ship or its cargo.’

Savage – to attack as ’ If an animal savages someone, it attacks the violently and causes serious injuries.’

Maybe your laptop, computer, phone, etc. is automatically adding the “L.”

2 Likes

I apologize for losing patience with you @penelopeandthecats. I have never known anyone who has experience with entire young colts, or with stallions, that would call savaging “being goofy”. It’s not “being goofy”, it’s a serious issue.

I have said nothing about the credentials of his jockey, or his groom, or his trainer who are the people that say he is a difficult ride, that he doesn’t like other horses around him, and that they are working on his issues.
I don’t understand your need to defend them when no one here has disparaged their professionalism.

5 Likes

That video is adorable. It doesn’t diminish Ritchie’s naughty behavior after the Derby though. He was dangerous. Attacking another horse and the person riding it is not okay, I don’t care how often he allows his groom to snuggle with him in the stall.

It sounds like he has a good team of professionals handling the situation and doing the right thing by schooling him on this. It certainly wasn’t their fault that the colt acted so rank after the race. It’s just one of those things. We have to remember that they didn’t even think he was going to get to run in that race, much less win it! So, I doubt they’d been prepping him for being ponied immediately after the race was run for jockey interviews and all the fanfare. Now that he’s the center of attention, they’re making sure he’s more prepared for it.

I hope he wins. He’s a gutsy, talented horse.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting the link.

I hope he does well in the Belmont. It would be nice to see his connections rewarded for showing good horsemanship.

1 Like

Richie’s whole story can serve as an example of how handling and training affects horses. There was all that speed and talent being passed around from hand to hand for $30, without anyone taking the time to professionally manage his issues. I have read it on this board more than once something to the effect of: The hardest horses to work with will give you the most rewards. Richie seems to be the horse that proves the words.