Unlimited access >

Please Help Me Decide! Proximal Suspensory Desmitis Update- Treatment Day! Post 22

Yes!
It will be in combination with ESWT, and I have an acquaintance who has already offered her red light machine when she heard about the situation, so maybe things could be looking up?:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

6 Likes

Update;
So today was the appointment for the ultrasound and PRP therapy, depending how bad the lesion or desmitis was.
Well, there was very minimal desmitis, because it was actually an avulsion fracture with 2 little fragments of bone and no disruption of the suspensory fibres or hole to fill in.
So, good news, I guess…? I’m just waiting for a referral to yet another vet who has the shockwave machine to proceed with that therapy, and hopefully he’ll be a good boy for the rehab.

8 Likes

Interesting! I don’t know which condition would be worse, but crossing my fingers that your horse is a good patient.

1 Like

Thank you!

Well, all his professionals were much happier it was a bone-related issue and not soft-tissue as originally suspected.
He’s a relatively good patient. He doesn’t mind his stall, but he doesn’t like when his”brain” (mare across the aisle) also rehabbing leaves (major understatement!). We’ve created a coping mechanism, and will have alternative remedies if and when needed. I’ve been told that I should be able to think about a return to full work, possibly in a shorter time period than if it was the soft tissue injury first suspected :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Don’t you feel better knowing what you are dealing with? Sounds like a good plan in place. Jingles for an excellent recovery. I was thinking I would rather have a bony issue vs suspensory desmitis too :grinning:

3 Likes

YES!! So much relief (in an ironic way)

1 Like

I’d really rather deal with a minor fracture than soft tissue injuries, at this point. And I’m seeing a lot of barns with arena footing that just isn’t good, horses that only ever get worked on footing, etc.

1 Like

:laughing: He’s a retired eventer, so has been worked on every footing imaginable all his life, and the footing in our ring is very good.
Yes, it’s a very minor break; just 2 tiny fragments, really, off the main cannon bone
Oh, and it’s all outdoors, not an indoor (one day :crossed_fingers:)

4 Likes

That is good to hear. What I see in barns with “bad” indoor footing (too deep and/or balls up in the hooves) is a lot of soft tissue injuries. At my older mare’s previous barn, the BO took out the $$$ footing that had only been in place for 4 or 5 years after 1 of her horses, and several boarders’ horses, who were ridden almost exclusively in the indoor, got soft tissue injuries. The BO’s horse had to be retired, and another went from upperish level dressage to being a school horse for kids. The footing was replaced with something much better, but $$$. It just seems like there are a lot of “wrong” footing materials out there that people are buying.

7 Likes

@quietann, What type of footing did the BO remove?

1 Like

I don’t know exactly, unfortunately. It was on the old barn website, but obviously the name got changed when the footing got changed. It was some kind of sticky sandlike matter with textile mixed in. It tended to form deep spots, ripples and waves. The new footing had similar materials but for some reason stayed level, and there were rarely holes. Both required dragging every day.

I mostly trail rode, in season. The vet liked that I did it - said navigating rough terrain makes a horse very aware of where its hooves are. We have a lot of rocks and roots on our trails.

1 Like

Thank you.