Unlimited access >

Poll: Purpose of the flash

So with this drop, you would use a longer bit than you normally would so the leather strap holds down the bit’s bars and lets the ring slide? Also, would this incline the loose ring to pinch skin more easily? I don’t use loose rings, so maybe this is just hearsay anyway (that loose rings pinch…dunno)

Ok…so, how do you signal ‘little’ things to the horse’s mouth when the bit is always engaged … little releases one side or the other or both.

Does the drop noseband work better with a mullen mouth, i can kinda see how it would work ok with a mullen…or maybe a double snaffle. But do you also use it with a single snaffle bit?

This is incorrectly adjusted. NO noseband should sit on the ends of the bit. NO noseband should sit on the rings of the bit.

The dropped noseband should sit below the bit.

A cavesson should sit well above the bit to avoid pinching the corners of the mouth between bit and noseband.

The cavesson part of a flash noseband is fitted as a regular cavesson. The flash part of a flash noseband runs below the bit and behind the lower chin, above the fleshy area - exactly like a dropped noseband. The advantages of a flash over a dropped are that the pressure on the nose is higher up eliminating any possibility of the noseband sitting on the more sensitive cartilege, and also being high enough up that any interference with the nostrils is also eliminated.

Please grab some good dressage books and make a study of bridle fitting.

8 Likes

Perfectly said.

Yes, the problem is people who crank the flash down tightly to disguise the horse’s resistance and lack of acceptance of the bit.

I use a flash with a dressage bridle and loose ring snaffle; in that instance, the flash does stabilize the bit and keep it from moving TOO much.

That said, I think it’s useful and diagnostic to ride without a cavesson at all, and observe what happens with the horse’s mouth and jaw.

1 Like

This is not my picture, this is from a google image search of ‘drop noseband’ just as you did. It’s in your link as well.

1 Like

I guess the question is why on earth would you choose an image from google that shows an incorrectly adjusted dropped noseband when there are plenty of correct ones?

3 Likes

I don’t love the fit on this either, but it’s worth considering that when the rider picks up the reins, the “smile” the bit makes will bring it behind the noseband.

3 Likes

Well, here is my image (my bridle, my horse).

I consider this a correctly adjusted dropped noseband, and it is on the bone, NOT on the soft cartilage.

3 Likes

True, but then that bit will be held up there by the noseband which is not the function of the noseband. Additionally, the cheekpieces will sag/gap which is sloppy and incorrect. And, if you have a mouthy horse that likes to play with the bit, the bit will quite possibly keep going under the strap and then popping back out. Counterproductive at the least and possibly uncomfortable and irritating to the horse.

The fit is just plain wrong. A dropped noseband should not be that high on the nose. If the horse needs the front of the noseband that high on the nose, then a flash or figure 8 (Grackle) would be a better choice.

4 Likes

You guys look super. :smiley:

in the olden days a ‘plain snaffle’ was all we had. Gosh I feel old.
(and I have to say that just because I don’t see how her setup is supposed to work does not mean it does not - at all!)
The drop does not really alter the use of the snaffle. Nothing really changes except the horse can’t gape the mouth in evasion, or ‘cross the jaw’
or limit the options of sticking tongues out or pulling them over the bit.
The bit preference for the horse is still the same (I would think) giving anatomic preferences etc. SO a horse will not magically prefer a Mullenmouth over a ‘normal’ snaffle. Or love the losenge after hating it prior…

2 Likes

What is the purpose of the flash? Is a different question for, "How is the flash used?

What is the purpose? — To stabilize the bit…it is a bastardized drop noseband.

How is the flash used? — To strap the horse’s mouth shut.

And for full disclosure, I took lessons from an old cavalry colonel who required the plain noseband be “2-fingers” loose…as a minimum…and that I currently use NO noseband.

7 Likes

Yes, this is why I worded it the way I did.