Unlimited access >

Pony Club Rally Coming Up - What should I know?

Yes, we did get asked about the rulebook and they flipped through it. Everyone had to show our wash only bucket and body sponge, grooming utensils, checked our saddles and boots for cleanliness, our white board, checked our feed room to make sure feed was stored correctly and neatly, everything labeled, etc. etc. Every so often someone would walk through and make sure water buckets were filled, stalls not trashed, and stall cards had appropriate information.

They didn’t check things like whether the mane and tail were clean but did pick up feet, didn’t check inside ears but did check elbows, whether we were wearing a belt, if our boots were shiny and soles cleaned.

Our stable manager was awesome and it was her first time doing it. She pitched in and cleaned stalls, held horses for tacking, kept us on track updating the whiteboard, swept the aisleway, Just did a great job and went above and beyond.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen a schooling jump allowed after elimination at a Pony Club show jumping rally or SJ championships. Remember, it’s Show Jumping, not H/J. This made for a pretty sad rally for my 9 year old and his 5 year old small pony (eliminated at one of the first few jumps in each round) but he bounced back and made it to championships for games, SJ and Eventing several times (and the pony went on to do champs for games, and SJ with a different kid).

1 Like

Laugh. I laugh because this seems to happen at every freaking rally. So very annoying.
I am clearly more pushy than you are. I will get loud, saying loud enough for the speaker to hear - I can not hear the speaker with all the random chatting, can you please talk louder?
That seems to do the trick, the person presenting speaks louder and those not paying attention but gabbing seem to quiet down.

No.
Once you are excused you are excused.

At SJ rally here, people who refuse out, if they want to are typically allowed to move down a division for their other rounds in hopes of being more successful.

Unfortunately, I have been blessed with a voice that doesn’t carry and no one can hear me unless I shout. I was talking loudly but no one paid me any mind.

I bear an undying grudge towards Pony Club because there were no riding school chapters here when I was a kid. :joy: You had to have your own horse to participate. I was 34 when I bought my first horse. Ergo, I never got to do it.

For our local you needed a pony and access to a truck and trailer.

Mom said no.

So I got a very good hunt seat equitation education instead, and eventually a horse, and then we did get a truck and trailer eventually and now my mom uses it to haul furniture to craft shows.

But I never got my Pony Club rating so I will never be Stevie from the Saddle Club, not really. Woe to dreams unachieved.

:wink:

Congrats, OP- sounds like fun and taking home 3rd is a huge accomplishment!

4 Likes

Oh…but they allow adults now so you can do it now.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that was the case with ours, too.

@trubandloki Noooo! The Grudge shall live forever! Lol.

@Spudsmyguy way to go!! Sounds like it went well!

1 Like

I promise it’s fun, although type A personalities do really shine in PC. I’m far from type A but look back on my PC days really fondly. It set me up well for my horse future and I think it’s one of the best things you can do for your kids because it teaches independence, responsibility, and good work ethic.

If you are organized it’s very easy. If you are disorganized it’s not. It is all about structure (and the structure is clearly written somewhere too) so people who love making and following lists thrive in this environment. After I aged out of PC (before they allowed adults) I still taught lessons and helped organize mounted meetings. A lot of the kids I knew that had anxiety did well because they could just reference a check off list for each segment.

I always enjoyed the competitiveness of the horse management portion - keeping your tack and pony clean was a way to show you took pride and respect to the horse in your work. Kind of like braiding. I still turn my horse out to the nines to this day even if it’s just a schooling show — it’s so overboard but I love doing it.

2 Likes

Everything you describe is right up my alley. I can always tell when someone used my stuff because I put it back just so, and if it’s different someone had to have used it. I can grab tack or training aids off the hooks on the wall without looking. Same with brushes out of the brush box.

But… my hoof pick is not spotless. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think the best part was working as part of a team to put our very best foot forward. In fact, that was our mantra “How are we doing? We’re doing our best!” One of the horses on the junior team came up lame the first day and never made it to the ring. She was understandably upset at first but bucked up and supported her team in a non-riding capacity. That’s a lesson in team work and not giving up when the chips are down.

5 Likes

That happened to my daughter once, too. I was proud of her reaction that weekend. On the other hand, as the person who wrote the checks for the entry fees, I personally was pissed!!

2 Likes

That would happen at any horse show, right?

I don’t know a lot about the H/J world but if you had a note from the vet regarding the lameness, would you be able to receive any of your entry fees back?

I dunno, I didn’t ask. The money went to the show organizers, we need more of those, not fewer, so I let it ride.

1 Like