Unlimited access >

Poor little hen

Chickens are awful creatures honestly, and willing cannibals.

If there is ANY skin showing - or worse, a speck of blood - they will pick at it. I’ve witnessed them open up another hens abdomen and eat her alive from the inside out.
So if she goes back with the others she needs to be FULLY healed first.

Also chickens sense any other chicken that is… a few cents short of a dollar if you know what I mean. One that’s not as quick to react. Or one without the vicious instinct. If she’s a really tame, sweet type… just don’t put her back with them. They WILL kill her.

4 Likes

We had a sweet chicken years ago that lived the rest of her life with our retired old gelding after she healed from vicious attacks. She lived out her life in peace.

Bird flu is really what has made it more difficult to have chickens. We have a large grain bin that I made into a bird proof chicken coop. Twelve chickens have plenty of room in there, but it’s not the same as a yard. I’ve always had chicken yards but I couldn’t with this group because bird flu hit us hard. They’ve been locked up since we brought them home. I think this year I might be able to build a day yard for them outside. The numbers were much lower last year, so here’s hoping that continues this year. .

5 Likes

She seems to be adapting well.

16 Likes

She looks very at home.

And that is one hairy pony!!! :wink:

2 Likes

You might want to put some Scarlet Oil on her head. That’ll help protect it, and keep it supple instead of just being crusty scabs.

2 Likes

I can’t find it here, but I have a clear medicine made for chickens. Forgot what it’s called.

The little monsters detached part of her comb!

Yup, Monsters :japanese_ogre:
You can try putting Blu-Kote on her head, it covers the Yum-to-Peck raw flesh.
The comb may grow back, on part or weirdly, but she won’t miss it as long as she can keep cool.in Summer.

2 Likes

Ooh, boy, that hen traded up! Not only in friends but that looks like a lovely stall/barn!

3 Likes

Buy Lilly a pair of these! My hen,Cotton feels very formidable in them :joy:

11 Likes

We had that happen to a hen last summer. I put her in a pen with some grow out pullets, and it worked really well. She healed without incident and became fast friends with the new bunch. I don’t plan on ever having her rejoin the other flock, as I think the same thing might happen again.

4 Likes

There is a saying.

Nothing so vicious as chickens.

2 Likes

I just watched the film about the making of Facebook. The guy who put up the money was crucified because as an initiation he had to look after a chicken and always have it with him.

He was out at a restaurant and hadn’t fed it yet so he fed it there and gave it some chicken. I think he was charged as well. For animal cruelty or something for making the chicken be a cannibal.

2 Likes

Chickens gladly eat their own kind.
When I buy a rotisserie chicken, the carcass goes to my chickens.
The next day there’s nothing left :dizzy_face:

2 Likes

I had a little chick. I turned around hearing things hitting the ceiling and walls. Left over chicken bones. The chick was picking up the bones and trying to get the bit of meat off and with the flicking of it’s head the bones left at great speed.

2 Likes

Yeah, we laughed at that.

Years ago, a hawk swooped down and snatched our rooster. He was a good rooster and the girls liked him. The hawk was chowing down in a tree above the chicken yard. The hens were hiding in the coop, but when the hawk dropped one of rooster’s feet, the little heathens chased each other fighting over it. They KNEW him! They LIKED him!

4 Likes

Chickens are little Tyranasaurus Rexes. (spelling ain’t my strong point). They will eat anything without a care in the world. The cat caught a mouse in the garage the other day, he leaves it by the door, whole. I added it to the chicken bucket that is kitchen leftovers, and tossed the lot of it to the flock. The mouse was snatched up right away, and someone did what dinosaurs do to meat.

2 Likes

:rofl:
Waste not, Want not :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Once I saw a tiny little hatchling sparrow fall from the nest down to where some hens were. Poor little thing didn’t last a minute.

1 Like

:cry: Poor little sparrow!

Lily roosted on the edge of Maggie’s water bucket. Nope. Can’t have that. So, I hung a second bucket up filled with shavings. It looks like she slept there instead.

15 Likes