Unlimited access >

Popped Splint in 12 YO Horse - Update w/ X-rays - Post 29

[QUOTE=Sansena;8036306]
I might ask the vet for some Ace tabs if she starts getting snarky after a few weeks on stall rest. Having said that, I doubt extended stall rest is in your future. But many horses I’ve known tolerate daily ace tabs in breakfast… horses who’ve been in for literally months recovering from fractures/ DDF resection, etc.

You can ask your vet about Reserpine if she really gets wonky, but be sure to ask about negative side effects as well.

Of course, be smart, use a slow feeder net for her hay and cut her grain wa-a-a-y back.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should have clarified what I meant. She is very quiet and well behaved on the ground and under saddle, I don’t think I would ever need reserpine for her.

Her only issue is that she stall walks when she anticipates going out. I don’t want to do more harm than good by keeping her in. We plan to ask the vet if she can go in the indoor arena with a quiet buddy. If not she will be tied at turnout time, or possibly ace if it’s necessary.

She has a hay chix slow feed net in her stall, so that’s covered already.

[QUOTE=Stitch In Time;8035686]
Another question from a worried horse mom.

If her splint bone is fractured wouldn’t you expect more pain/swelling/lameness?
Ugh… I’m going to go nuts waiting for Thursday to get here.[/QUOTE]

My gelding at 13 was kicked and ended up with a broken splint bone. He was lame so off for an ex-ray we went. I will not repeat what I said when the ex-ray showed up on the screen. 4 months later he was still lame and I was making plans for surgery. Unluckily surgery was about 500 more than I expected with cost going up because of his age so it was put off till spring. Spring came and he was back to being his totally sound self. It was 8 months to heal.

I would not put the cart before the horse (re: stall rest/anxiety/etc).

You don’t know yet if this is going to happen (unless I missed where this is for sure the plan?)

My guy popped one at 12, one at 15, both took exactly 5 months to heal. I 100% followed the vets orders, different vets, and that’s just how long it took unfortunately. Hopefully your guy follows the more typical 4-6 week timeline!

[QUOTE=SuckerForHorses;8037720]
I would not put the cart before the horse (re: stall rest/anxiety/etc).

You don’t know yet if this is going to happen (unless I missed where this is for sure the plan?)[/QUOTE]

She’s on 2 weeks stall rest no matter what, it will be extended if the x-ray shows a fracture.

Keep us posted!

Well, I received some new information last night.

Apparently one of the other boarders (OB) brought a friend to the barn on Saturday and decided to show her around the property. The OB and her friend walked up to the mare field and the mares came to the gate. She told me they were running around, and that one of them may have kicked out at my horse.

My guess is that OB was feeding treats and caused a ruckus because the mares are always perfectly behaved at the gate when we bring them in.

Can’t say for sure that this is the cause of her injury, but it does frustrate me because the OB owns a gelding and had no business being near the mare field.

Vet comes tomorrow, I should have x-ray results by Friday.

So sorry to hear that. Looks and sounds just like my geldings broken splint. I will be surprised if it not broken.

Vet says no fracture, just deep bone bruising.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125205613@N05/16527258207/in/set-72157651082282472

The plan is 2 weeks of walking either in-hand or under saddle, followed by 2 weeks walk/trot. If she stays sound I will be able to add canter in week 4, ground poles working up to jumping starting week 6. No turnout until she is cantering soundly, so at least 4 weeks.

I’m glad its not a fracture. I was hoping to shorten the amount of time with no turnout, but I’d rather take my time and make sure I end up with a sound horse!