Unlimited access >

Prascend vs pergolide

Yes, I have weaned off, given her a rest then titrated up to therapeutic dose again. APF is not readily available here- I would have to import from US and pay shipping and import fees, as well as dealing with the difference between US and CA dollars. I have spoken to my vet, and she didn’t think it would make much difference. I’m not willing to spend around $500 on a chance. Mare is doing well except for her reduced appetite for grain, her weight and energy levels are good. She has always been suspicious of meds and supplements, so her refusal to eat the Prascend isn’t a surprise.

1 Like

I’m going to weigh in on your comment that syringing is a problem. I had a 20 year old boarder horse that was a nightmare to syringe, apparently had been her whole life. I started giving her treats by putting them in the side of her mouth where I’d put the syringe. After doing that for a couple weeks, I’d give her the treats, then stick my finger in like it was a syringe. I did that for a couple weeks and then just started randomly putting my finger in the side of her mouth without any treats first, holding her head as if I was going to syringe her. She’d get the treats in the side of her mouth after. Then I switched to putting a syringe in her mouth with just a tiny bit of water. I did that regularly for about a month, always giving a treat after. Now she can be dewormed out in the field without a halter. Her owner was amazed. It took me some time but it was totally worth it in the long run.

1 Like

I feel your $$$ pain. My 29 year old in on 2 Prascend a day. $160/month from Valley Vet. Fortunately my vet will write scripts for me. I just opened the packet and dropped it on top of her feet and she eats it.

I wish! Not my mare. Ah well, we’ve adjusted, and our system is working OK so I’m not rocking the boat

I’ve used compounded pergolide powder for 10-15 years under the direction of my original vet, and now under the direction of the new vet who replaced her after she retired. I’ve always ordered through the vets. Recently switched to Prascend tiny pills, because the compounded pergolide supplier had shipping delays. Definite sticker shock on the Prascend, but it’s temporary, as we’ll change back to powder eventually.
My mare hasn’t had any problem eating either one -pergolide powder or Prascend pills - in her equine senior. I break the pills in half, and mix it in with no complaints.