Unlimited access >

Prestige Vs. Arion Vs. Stubben

I have a stubben (well 8+ really) and love them, lots of options, great balance points, and happy horses. Even if you don’t have the most responsive rep, their guy at the office in Virginia communicates well and will do adjustments if you send it in.

My only experience with Arion is a current client who arrived with an Arion, we quickly discovered that the whole saddle was warped (no wonder her horse stopped cantering to the right), with the panels put on crocked. She got them to send a rep out, rep agreed, gave her a loner saddle (that didn’t fit). Her saddle came back, new panels same problem. They are still set on crocked even though they obviously took off the old panels and put on new ones.

2 Likes

I’ve owned 3 Prestige saddles, 2 of them are currently 7 years old and still going strong and look great. Lifetime warranty on the tree, and the quality is great. I am a big fan of Prestige, there are so many options.

I can not comment on Stubben or Arion, only thing I can remember about Stubben is how god awfully hard they used to be back in the day LOL

5 Likes

Three wildly different fits for horses and for riders. I can’t imagine that all three will work for the same horse/rider combo. As a rider, only one of those three brands would suit me - and if that one didn’t fit my horse, it might be none of them.

After some bad experiences ordering custom-made that arrived not fitting, I buy used only. That said, I’ve successfully and fairly easily bought my last 6 saddles used, even with less than common options/sizes - Black Country Vinici, Albion SLK, Custom Saddlery Everest R/Omni (2), and County Epiphany.

2 Likes

@Hawks_Nest, this is so disappointing. Seems to happen with them all, I guess.

It is incredibly disappointing for everyone involved, I can understand a hand made saddle getting messed up in production once, but after sending it back for being crocked it still comes back crocked? You’d think they would check that before sending it back.

@OP you said you were in NY? If you PM me, I can hook you up with the newest stubben new england rep who is based in VT and is a long time horse woman, business owner, and very invested in properly fitting saddles. I know the last few new england reps have been a little difficult (I’ve dealt with three, one really only interested in making the sale, one who ended up moving to aiken, and the third who does still work in the area who really only intended to be a temporary rep while another was in aiken for the winter). The newest rep doesn’t go south and really really cares (I know her personally, she can’t adjust flocking yet but is well versed in using shims and plans to do all the training for flocking adjustments as soon as she can)

1 Like

My policy, too. I only buy a saddle I can ride in.

3 Likes

It is so discouraging hearing about poor customer service and quality control issues from so many high-end brands. I just tried a used Voltaire and one of the panels was attached crooked. Not something I’d expect from a $6k+ saddle.

4 Likes

I have had great service from the Stubben reps in New England - specifically SE Mass. Megan was our rep before she moved to FL. Since then we have used Tracey and she has been fantastic! She was here just past weekend for one client to try different saddles, one first fitting on a purchased saddle (which was almost perfect), one re-check on an older but custom dressage saddle (she recommended sending it to VA for some non-wool tweaks and also cked the fit on a used jump saddle purchased from a tack shop for a young OTTB. All positive experiences w each client!

1 Like

I have an Arion dressage saddle. I have been very happy with it. Beautiful leather that holds up in comparison to other French brands, it is foam, yes, but I like the foam (don’t shoot me!).

Quite balanced and fits most of the warmblood types I have put it on. I do have a correction shim pad if necessary but I haven’t had to use it.

It’s a great secure seat!

However, I wouldn’t recommend it for mutton type withered ponies. I have tried it on my 14hand pony and while it looked like a decent fit, it did slide up the wither in canter.

My fitter mentioned it was actually moderately adjustable?

Good luck!

1 Like