Unlimited access >

previcox side effects

My horse has been on Previcox 57mg/daily for about a month for arthritis. No changes in behaviour, eating habits or spookiness. I have read that a side effect of Previcox is excitability. My horse definitely doesn’t need help in that department so I’m lucky!

I had a horse colic on MSM not once but twice in a two week period. Once, had the vet out, horse was pulled off food and then given a slurry, once he was normal and regular food and supps restarted, he coliced again within three days. Pulled the MSM and it hasn’t happened since. Do you know what a PITA it is to find a joint supp without MSM? :lol:

Horses are people too <- my favorite saying. We are all different. I can’t take NSAIDs consistently without issues myself. I’ve gotten ulcers twice from Aleve, after the third dose.

[QUOTE=IPEsq;8754635]
Hi horsevet26,…since this is an older thread I figure I’ll chime in. My horse had the “excitability” reaction to Previcox. We tried it for 3 weeks. Vet had wanted to do 4, but I couldn’t take it anymore. Took him off of it, and he went back to normal. He was extra spooky and jumpy. Like, if a horse in the arena had a hard rub on a jump they were jumping somewhere not that close to us, my horse would start leaping and tearing around. He had zero work ethic (which is why we were trying the Previcox to work on that from a pain angle), and all it did was make him a hot horse with no work ethic :o.[/QUOTE]
Thank you!

Mine went from.being a finicky distracted eater who rarely finished his grain to inhaling everything in his tub. Go figure.

[QUOTE=jennywho;8761316]
Mine went from.being a finicky distracted eater who rarely finished his grain to inhaling everything in his tub. Go figure.[/QUOTE]

Yes actually now that you mention this, same with mine!

We had a horse with the same reaction, but it gave him a new lease on life. Was prescribed previcox long-term, he was severely spooky, but still confident to do his job. He wasn’t hot by any means, but a pole hitting the ground or someone walking outside the ring would set him off. Horse went from retiree to run preliminary for several years. So, we concurred he felt better and worked through it.

Just want to post that my OTTB is extremely spooky and dangerous On Previcox. If he is on true stall rest meaning not even a hand walk, he stays chill and quiet in the STALL so no harm, no foul as long as he is jailed 24/7… But if hand walking and a progression of longer walks including outside is prescribed he is dangerous, unpredictable, sees ghosts ( god forbid the wind kicks up as it did today when I was hand grazing him)… He reared up and into me sent me flying across the field… And then he reared again and again. At one point I was not sure we would make it back to the barn alive. This is a horse that after he grew out of his initial crazy off the track behavior had settled into a solid citizen. He is coming off of Previcox asap… This is the 2nd time Previcox has changed his personality and its drastic. HIs injury was so severe I wanted to give him every chance to not have a bad injury heal. Please be careful if you have never given your horse this drug. IMO it seems about 10-20 percent of horses go wacko on it. My horse had the same reaction to MSM… I am going to try Surpass…

Also, I’ll mention since the thread has come back to life that the therapeutic dose for a horse is 0.1mg per kg. For a 1000 lb horse that works out to About 45 mg. Not the 57mg that is in the tablet. That dosage is said to cover a horse from 800-1200 pounds but if you have an 800 lb light breed with EGUS then you can run into issues quickly as it’s almost a double dose.

My mare did get quite a bit livelier on it-she’d been experiencing low level pain for a long time due to age related arthritic changes. It took the pain away, and she reacted like a much younger, pain free horse. Didn’t make her high, made her healthy.

We reduced the dose, didn’t want her acting like a young filly on old joints, she’s been on it for about 12 years. Twice a week.

My gelding had the spookiness reaction after a week on a low daily dosage. He doesn’t get that med any more

I started my 12 year old mare on it and she basically changed over night. Became aggressive and falling a lot. I’m taking her off it ASAP and hoping to see her go back to her normal self. I have never seen her like this since I have owned her. The behavior changes is definitely real so pay attention to your horses behavior once starting this medicine.