Unlimited access >

Proposed Dress rule changes!

I’m no judge, but I do scribe a fair bit and I can promise you that most judges couldn’t care less if your clothes or tack are fashionable or following this year’s trend. They do very much care if they are distracting though, so I’ll let that be my guide if I stray from my standard white breeches and black coat

14 Likes

Agree! It’s one of the few disciplines where (at the lower levels) you see literally all ages and all breeds competing together in the same divisions, and they all have an equal change of doing well. At the last show I scribed there was a full Clyde, 3 full Percherons, a Newfoundland Pony cross, several OTTBs, various draft crosses and tons of nice warmbloods. The Clyde and one of the Percherons received some of the highest marks of the day. Everybody was delighted to see them perform so well - none of the other competitors cared that they aren’t 6-figure warmbloods, or were checking out what saddle brand they wore. I find most dressage people really focus on their own tests and don’t spend a lot of time watching or worrying about what other competitors ride, do, or wear.

20 Likes

I’m of that generation but they just weren’t for me. They’re still quite popular in this area for field hunters.

1 Like

Then what “club” are you referring to? Maybe you should get some actual experience in the actual world of dressage before making sweeping judgements. It’s a pretty fun place.

28 Likes

Yup! And I’ve found the vast majority of trainers to be lovely. Even upper level ones. I’ve ridden with two clinicians where my first reaction to my trainer suggesting I participate was, “Ohhhh, no. I think that person is way above my paygrade.” Both were absolutely wonderful; empathetic to AA nerves, met me & the horse where we were, & gave me actional feedback for improving.

8 Likes

What about dressage attire is exclusive, though? I think it less restrictive at lower levels than, say, hunters. You can ride in a regular english saddle, wearing clothes that many people already have in their closet. And as much as I hate to open this can o worms – the shows are CHEAP compared to hunters. Mostly due to set ride times & not having to take a coach along

8 Likes

This 100%. I’ve scribed quite a bit as well, including for judges who have been on the panel for WEG, World Cup, and Olympic games. They are all fine with whatever in clothing or tack, but will sometimes mention if something is very distracting.

10 Likes

I was volunteering as a ring steward at a show with a Fjord warming up, and pretty much every single person was ooohing and aaahing over it. I believe there was a full Clyde, or at least very Clyde-y cross, at that same show, and it was so fun to watch it go, they put in a lovely test. At the lower levels especially, there is a lot of variety in the participants, and everyone that I’ve encountered has been quite welcoming of that.

A little more variety in attire, to perhaps better suit a horse with a green jacket say, or more rider-flattering grey breeches, is nice. I hope people don’t take this and go so wild with bedazzled pink breeches that they crack back down and we’re stuck in black and white again. Because I’d prefer to not show in whites, because I do everything myself, so keeping whites white on show day is pretty much impossible.

9 Likes

Oh thank god! As a fluffier rider, nothing starts off the show season “right” than having to pull on my whites and trying to decide if I look more like a tube of cottage cheese or a marshmallow.

27 Likes

I was really hoping they’d say coats were optional except for specific championship classes/shows. They pretty much waive coats all summer anyway…

I’m assuming when coats are waived, we can show in sunshirts with the different color for the mesh under the arms? For example, the blue Kastel with white mesh.

5 Likes

I rode in a dressage schooling show a few years ago, wore rust breeches and a windowpane plain jacket w a velvet collar, and brown gloves with crochet. It felt great!! Just to be a bit different.

1 Like

Where would the fun in that be?

I think the poster who is a slave to her personal aesthetic is having a lot of fun annoying the rest of us with her (pre) judgey comments, and should be regarded accordingly.

Some people mistake stirring the pot and creating controversy for actual discussion or information sharing.

25 Likes

Did they just say…they don’t like dressage people but don’t have actual experience with them? I’ve got to be reading this wrong.

15 Likes

FWIW this was from 2011 or so did get more attention than it would now. It’s a charcoal jacket with a purple pinstripe to match the collar, and dove grey breeches. I had a friend scribing and the judge was apparently going on about how great we looked until we went down the centerline and then it was down to business with zero impact on our scores.

28 Likes

I detest wearing a shadbelly as it highlights my white breeches jelly belly. I’d happily wear a short coat in the FEI tests but the horse’s owner would have a fit.
I will be very happy to wear my dark colored breeches with my shadbelly. I can’t imagine a more wonderful rule change!

8 Likes

Love it all! What helmet manufacturer is that ?

@soloudinhere Looks like vests are permitted under coats.

Twinsies! :rofl:

3 Likes

Honestly I’d like to see that be standard show attire in the national level classes except at championships. Dressage is a sport and I have no objection to riders dressing like athletes.

9 Likes

I’ve been eyeing this jacket in Hunter Green - https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/piper-softshell-show-coat-ii-by-smartpak-16409. At least in the pictures it looks a little bright and I was going to get it and show it to a Judge for their opinion on it.

In truth, I’m not looking for a bright green coat but an affordable green jacket with 4 buttons to switch up with my black one and have a backup. At that price it’s hard to turn that coat down if it fits AND it’s allowed in the ring.

LetItBe

4 Likes