Unlimited access >

Proud Flesh

We spent a year getting a horse to heal after prior owner cut off proud flesh. We tried all kinds of things, what worked best, and is what our vet uses on almost wounds is saline water…we would make up a batch in tupperware and keep wound pads in the container, after cleaning we would apply a new saline pad and wrap. What we learned the hard way was most of the proud flesh treatments are too harsh and prevent healthy tissue from growing.

Once we get past the proud flesh stage we used a product called steel aide - I was impressed with how well the wound started healing with that. You can find steel aide on facebook -

PF Wonder Salve is now our go-to. Our vet recommended it when my OTTB tried to de-glove her leg.

It makes a difference which product you are using. Copper sulfate will damage the healthy skin around the injured part. I’ve been using Equaide which doesn’t have the copper sulfate. It prevents proud flesh but doesn’t damage the good skin. My horse came in one day with a nasty gash on his face. It was small. I painted the wound with the little brush they include. You can see where the wound was but no proud flesh.

Exuberant granulation tissue is uncommon on head injuries in general.

2 Likes

The wound is looking really good, havent seen proud flesh return. On the side of the wound that is not effected it has swelled up some. Kind of looks like a little ball. Not sure if thats normal?