Unlimited access >

PSSM in Quarter horse.

[QUOTE=Katy Watts;7651634]

Why do you believe that ‘conventional wisdom’ needs questioning? [/QUOTE]

After listening to several local vets including the fellow with many special letters & impressive CV …
corn oil :confused: really! still!!

• though at least he’s conversant with various metabolic diseases.

Kellon also has published peer reviewed papers :wink:

I usually also link the UMN site for posters, but the quarter horse and fat metabolism research I looked at was via Kellon (yes, the actual scientific study sort).

BUt I’m still interested in the specifics of candico’s vet’s opinion :yes:

Got any of the references handy?
I’d be interested in reading them.

Sorry I rarely bookmark, I stumbled over them after starting with something rather different - & a couple years ago … so maybe I’m fantasizing - certainly google is just bogged down with all the commercial stuff so no help there; it’s like looking for some of those flax papers from when I did my months of “research” a few years ago, I give up sifting long before google gives up :sigh:

If you find them, let me know.
Thanks!

Here’s a list of scientific search engines.
http://www.emergingedtech.com/2013/12/top-11-trusted-and-free-search-engines-for-scientific-and-academic-research/

I’m not having any luck searching for author ‘E. Kellon’ for fat metabolism or PSSM. Can you remember any of the words in the title of the paper?

Hah if i could I’d find it too - I was thinking how can this be difficult, but then did a quick look myself … & quickly decided to give up :o

Hate to speak for my vets, but from what I recall, I think it was because she was extrapolating from a study using rats as well as a study where IR was induced using a high fat diet in Thoroughbreds. No proper study was done on actual EPSM horses treated with ALCar. Most of the testimonials from Kellon’s group are from owners who never had their horses tested/biopsied at all. I know Valentine is not a believer in the ALCar protocol, but not sure where Valberg stands. My one vet personally owned an EPSM horse as her show hunter so she was personally vested in keeping up with the latest research. She had good results following Valberg’s protocol, where I was not getting the normal bloodwork till I switched to Valentine’s protocol of 20% fat.

If Kellon did a proper study with proven/biopsied EPSM horses with before and after bloodwork, degree of symptoms displayed, etc. compared to horses treated with high fat and even a group who just reduced NSC and implemented an exercise program, I think she’d gain more respect. So far, it seems mainly based on testimonials which could be improvements gained by less NSC in the diet and a consistent exercise program alone. Yes, IR is a concern, but mine has a predisposition for it due to his sire, yet his dam is who carried the EPSM. If he becomes IR, I think it would be more my fault for not exercising him enough and his genetics before I blame the high fat diet. Can’t remember if the study where a high fat diet induced IR was done on working horses or not. I can see that a high fat diet for a horse not really working could be unhealthy.