Unlimited access >

Purchasing/transporting a horse from Canada

Well it won’t be next week, her PPE is next week and then she’s off to inspection. Timing isn’t awesome but breeder didn’t want to chance me not sticking by my statement to take her to inspection next year (I have another horse who will be going, from my point of view an easy way to take both but as a breeder/seller, I totally get her point view).

So hopefully the nice weather holds out another two or three weeks. I’m using wire transfer, which I thought would be faster but it definitely is not overnight :frowning: I went Friday for the deposit to be wired and was told it won’t be at her bank until Thursday.

Also, I was pretty sure I was okay but I checked and yep, M+S and the mountain/snowflake symbol! I bought my truck about two months after he put new tires on, and it was an attractive thing for me as the buyer that it had brand new expensive ass tires :laughing: Probably not a bad idea to get some socks or chains tho, just in case. I don’t want to mess with RCMPs regardless!

5 Likes

As long ad you have the m&s tires you’re good RCMP won’t do anything except say “drive careful “ if they’re checking ! Glad you have them :grin:

1 Like

OOH, congratulations!!! The colours (yes, you’ll be in Canada!) will be amazing for your trip!

(Ahem, photo tax?! :rofl:)

2 Likes

Ohhhh sure, photo tax doesn’t tempt the gods does it?? :grimacing: I’ll just do the one pic.

She’s an Irish Draught. I’m excited and the seller seems genuine. I had noticed the filly’s baby bumps already on her jaw in another pics a week ago, but the seller sent me a concerned text yesterday that she had just noticed and wanted to be sure I saw and to ask the PPE vet etc etc. She sent a couple pics and a video to show them. I replied with a video of my filly’s current baby bumps and told her I had already seen them and NBD :grin: Filly does have a blemish on one leg but as long as it’s not an issue with the PPE vet or my vet, who is also viewing the xrays and vet report from Canadian vet, then that is also NBD (to me, I know it’s ick to others).

17 Likes

WOW!! I think you need to make a detour to Vancouver Island! :laughing:

1 Like

pretty sure that can be anywhere in the US also, in Texas If you impede traffic flow by continuing to drive straight in the left lane, you could be pulled over, ticketed, and fined up to $200 for lingering in the left passing lane for too long .

1 Like

:laughing: heeeeck no, I’m all scared of snow, mounties, and polar bears, so I’ll be crossing the border asap :laughing::laughing::laughing:

3 Likes

My eyeballs skipped right over this part. Yes, same here, “remain right except to pass.” Fine is less than Texas though (everything really is bigger in Texas :laughing: ) and it’s $136 or $139 now. I’ve gotten lazy remembering traffic fines since we went electronic plus I don’t do a lot of traffic anymore.

well some of the tollways around Austin here have speed limits of 85mph and most of Interstate 10 in west Texas is 80 mph (521 miles of interstate10)

as for crossing the Canadian border with horses we had greater difficulty crossing into Canada than out, the Canadian border guards went sort of berserk because we had the regular stuff to set up a show tackroom in the trailer …chairs and stuff.

You Are Not Moving to Canada ARE YOU?

5 Likes

Hahahahaha

2 Likes

She’s gorgeous! Look at those big feet and how much substance she has !!! :crossed_fingers: best wishes for the PPE and the trip to go get your horse.

5 Likes

:laughing: Well, you’re in luck then- no polar bears anywhere to be seen here on the Island (mounties and snow, well, depends on the month :wink: )!

2 Likes

PPE was not amazing so I have some choices to make, partially hinging on if seller is willing to cut the price fairly significantly.

Booooo.

2 Likes

Awwwww booooooo. Sorry :disappointed:. It ain’t over til it’s over and if it doesn’t work out you will find another.
Bone chip?

1 Like

No, I mean not really. Shot pic of old splint to see how it resolved only to find a new one. Good news, she was sound and completely nonreactive; bad news, under the knee on the medial side will interfere with suspensory at some point. How much and when? Who knows. So bummed.

Awwwwww I’m sorry. Truly.

1 Like

Ah, rats, what a bummer. :slightly_frowning_face:

But, then again, with proper care, (or benign neglect) the new splint (and the old, come to that) may resolve itself and completely disappear without being a problem at all (actually my experience).
Although on the other, other :wink: hand, if this is a youngster not worked- what kind of conformation defect is present that is causing these splints to appear? Or, she just needs a proficient farrier…

I agree, seller would have to discount substantially. BUT, given it’s coming into winter AND it wasn’t a great hay year, having 1 less mouth on the feed bill might sway her(/him[the seller])… [Yeah, I know, total optimist]. Maybe point that out?

2 Likes

She already has a substaintial deposit, I’m sorta hoping the thought of giving it back goes in my favor. Yeah not sure what happened to cause these, the first one the seller thinks she got kicked in the paddock but she didnt even know about the second. So she is processing this as well.

I mean her value as a broodmare would still be significant, assuming she catches and carries.

Just booo.

I started negotiations on another mare several months ago, older, broke, and a 2-for-1 package and the seller backed out - it’s a small herd and mares are valuable.

Another thought- how do her blemishes affect her being presented to the inspectors? I would assume (and with all those inherent risks) that having splints on her legs would, if not prevent her from being accepted, at the very least mark her way down to perhaps such a low score it might affect all her future values or status… (At least that’s been my experience with inspections of other breeds- any blemish and the horse stayed home).

Now that she’s had the PPE, can you tell us about her bloodlines? I know a lady who can probably tell you all about her bloodlines back to about the 10th generation :rofl: - she did with my ISH gelding (see the Should I buy my old horse? thread) - it’s one of the reasons I’m so interested in your girl - I wonder if she and my guy are related? :laughing:

It shouldn’t, no, I know she concerned about her for the inspection and bring off. Itis less on looks and if you have a doctor note at least here, you can present a slightly unsound horse (I believe). The inspectors are from Ireland and horse care is bit less fussy than here :smile:

I’ll msg you!

1 Like