Unlimited access >

Putting an 11 year old horse down.

You might consider donating him to a therapuetic riding program and paying for his shoeing yourself. You could retain control over his shoeing, and I am sure that the program would be happy to have someone else pay the expense.

Shoeing is the least of the monthly expense of keeping a horse (although beware, here in NorCal I pay $175 for shoes – although others at my barn pay between 125-150 for basic shoeing).

Actually, they were able to get Buster sound, and he is now living outside of Los Angeles, in Moorpark! Elizabeth had him flown here on Thursday, and my trainer picked him up from the airport. I haven’t gotten to meet either of them yet…I’ll at least get to meet Buster tomorrow when I bring my horse home from the show!

If he is in a lot of pain, I would donate him to the University. I’m sorry if you have to, and make sure you give him a hug and a kiss from me !

~Megan Black~

When sound what is he capable of? If properly maintained, can he have a “job”? If so, have you thought of giving him away to a good home?

There is a point at which our horses are no longer of active service to us – but have earned, with heart and honesty, a retirement.

In prior threads elizabeth you have stated that you are the youngest partner in a law firm - I will assume, then, that you can afford to keep the horse.

If the current board is too high, move him to a less expensive barn. There are many, many people in our barn who have retired their horses to less expensive barns where they are loved and their health assured. Some of these women have had to assume second jobs to do so.

If you are reluctant to pay his $150 monthly shoeing bill, I do worry that whomever may take him will be even more reluctant to do so – after all, they will not have had the emotional history with Buster that you do and will more readily dismiss his needs.

I’ll concede, though, that the decision is a personal one and you are the best equipped to determine what’s best for Buster.

Texas A&M has a special equine foot program, and a friend of mine just donated her horse when his feet were more than she could care for. I can give you her email address, if you’d like to talk to her about your options.

And there is an equine vet/podiatrist in Lexington or Louisville who is THE expert on horse feet. He has appeared at Equitana and does long distance consulting via foot x-rays. I forget his name again, but someone on the board knows. He has a web site, for some reason, I didn’t bookmark it. It may be that he can suggest some miracles for Buster, that might or might not involve some of the things that Louise mentioned.

Is it not possible that you could donate to Cornell with a proviso that if he is well enough to be sold, you would have first refusal?

NOt really the same situation, but I had to make the decision to have me dam of my two current horses put down. At 27 and not doing well I simply couldn’t justify shipping her from southern Ca to michigan. She was CA born and raised and I didn;t think she could handle the change, if she made it out in the first place. The lady in CA had tried to find a place to retire her too, and such, but had no luck, so I felt it was the irght decision. I felt it unfair after a life of providing beautiful foals to send her someplace where she might not have the best care. HEr age and the fact that she was not doing great ( loosing weight, etc) made the dicision easier. But I still feel badly that i didn’t try to do more. Though I am focussing on maintaining the two I have, which is very hard on a day care teachers salary!!! But I am committed to it.
I think everyone has made some good suggestions… I would seriously look into the theraputic riding program… if he can be kept sound… then some programs might be able to maintain his shoeing. Often times such programs get donated services as well, or highly discounted services. remember your $150 shoe job is not because of the shoes… it is the cost of the farrier’s time and efforts. So if the riding program has a farrier whois willing and knowledgeable enough to do the shoe job it may not be as expensive to maintain the horse.
Also i would be wary about so much Bute. Bute can be vary harsh on the stomache. Obviously if dosne’t upset him too much now, but in the long run it could get ugly. You may want to try some less intense medication… my mare was supposedly diangnosed with ringbone and she is fine for dressage, but as she is 15 I have her on next level, and the B-L solution ( aka Buteless). WE tried a low does of bute, but she refuses it so I found an alternative. I have had great results. And she is happy. Of course she is not navicular, though i have a hard time understanding your horse has navicular if the x-rays are clean?? I would suspect the ringbone more, especailly if he is running.
Lastly, I had to donate a horse to someone, as he was chronically lame. I had inherited my curretn two horses, and simply couldn’t afford three horses, I have trouble affording two!!! but I was lucky enough to find someone whoe I knew only wanted a lawn ornament possibly to do some trail rides. i know he is happy at his new home. I was shocked to find out he gives their kids bareback leadline rides in the yard, but obviously he is at peice at his new home. I knew I made the right decision when he immediately bonded with the husband. He had always hated and feared men due to an abusive trainer, and to see him loving on a man made my decision easier. I knew they would take care of him. And they agreed that if they couldn’t take care of him they would send him back to me…so I could find a new home if need be. So you can find a good home, it does take time though… it took me almost a year to find the right place for him. So don;t give up.