Unlimited access >

QH x WB Cross

JB, my thought for a while would be roper bred for jumpers.

I agree that the stock horse breeds are not homogenous in phenotype. That would also apply to the Australian types, some of whom have made very nice event horses.

I guess the first question really is “Can the Mare do anything herself?” If, despite her own conformation flaws, she’s talented and performs, then breeding her for her specialty would not be unreasonable. :slight_smile:

Of course, a deep pedigree examination to determine the amount of TB (all QHs have TB ancestors or the same ancestors as TBs) would be the first place to start.

aside from my post about not using stock horses to cross, there are a few exceptions. I have seen a few bloodlines of “cow” horses (reiners/cutters) that are very athletic and cross over well to hunters too. But…this is limited to a small pool. At that point you have to “know your bloodlines”. As to the current halter types in stock horse…gack no.

Quarter Horses can make great jumpers and fabulous sport horses, but that doesn’t necessarily translate to a reliable genetic mix with warmbloods, even when the animals appear similar phenotypically.

Pictured are two full brothers, sired by Meisterwind, a Trakehner and out of a Paint mare from old foundation bloodlines. She was not the bulldog type, but rather a nice riding horse type. These geldings both have nice gaits, big jumps and sweet, easy to get along with dispositions.

markerjumpsmall.jpg

marksmall.jpg

mosmall.jpg

I’ve shared these two a million times on COTH, but it’s hard not to give a thumbs up to the successful stock horse crosses. Here are two foals out of my Appaloosa mare:

By a Thoroughbred (2009- pictured at 2 y/o):
Picture 01
Picture 02
Picture 03

By a Hanoverian (2011- pictured as a foal -> yearling):
Picture 01
Picture 02
Picture 03

This is the mare. She was small (15.1 on a tall day), but also elegant. She crossed beautifully with both stallions. Both foals were hunter/jumper in type.

[QUOTE=Cataluna;6894332]
I’ve shared these two a million times on COTH, but it’s hard not to give a thumbs up to the successful stock horse crosses. Here are two foals out of my Appaloosa mare:

By a Thoroughbred (2009- pictured at 2 y/o):
Picture 01
Picture 02
Picture 03

By a Hanoverian (2011- pictured as a foal -> yearling):
Picture 01
Picture 02
Picture 03

This is the mare. She was small (15.1 on a tall day), but also elegant. She crossed beautifully with both stallions. Both foals were hunter/jumper in type.[/QUOTE]

Those are NICE horses!! I’d kill :lol: for your mare in our program!

I wouldn’t pick a downhill, halter type QH, but as already mentioned, there are plenty of nice, sport-type QHs, Appies, and Paints. All these breeds come from TB breeding stock originally. There are plenty of them out there in the Hunter, Eventing, and Dressage world - often shown as PHR so you don’t even know what they are.

As for the cross to WB - Old/ISR and RPSI both approve the mares and register the offspring as long as the stallion is approved for breeding with them. Several breeders have been doing these crosses, some are multi-generational at this point with good success.

I know someone who went I-1 on a Swedish/QH cross, and someone else who has bred a couple of Appy/Hanoverian crosses that have done well - one was just bought by an A circuit jumper rider. I bred to a Paint mare to Cadence and got a really nice moving mare who has just started jumping and has done well at her first show. And she had a great brain! Silverwood use to have a stallion who was part Paint, and was a nice hunter stallion.

Again, I wouldn’t pick the halter type stock horse - why fight that conformation? But there are so many nicely built, TB types, and they often have great brains, better then the TB.

If you want a foal from her I would encourage the TB suggestions as posted above… Good luck

There’s a QH stallion in our neck of the woods named CNB Dun who is only 16 hands himself, however he is throwing MONSTER sized babies (like 16.3+ out of even smallish (mid-15s) QH mares. I don’t mean one freak, I mean consistently! His babies are also fairly young but they seem to be nice type for the English disciplines.

I would not pick him to produce a top upper level sport competitor, but if I wanted to breed a registerable full QH who would be a nice all-rounder, capable of doing training level eventing, maybe 1st or 2nd dressage, fox hunting, and trail riding, he’d be on the top of my list.

There are also SO many nice TB stallions out there and available. If I was starting with a QH mare, I’d either pick an athletic stock horse breed (AQHA, APHA or APHc) stallion so I could register the foal, or a TB for an appendix - and I LOVE a good appendix.

I’ve seen some very nice QH/Warmblood crosses. A few years ago I saw a lovely gelding - big and correct, and a full sister who was downhill and built by committee. The breeder couldn’t sell her for any kind of decent! I think they sold her for about 1/3 of the actual stud fee when she was four or five!

I have a QH/ Trak cross. It’s a long story, I’m an incidental owner regarding a rescue of mother and foal. Anyway, she’s pretty, correct, athletic, only 15.2 or 3, walk the lines etc. Her temperament- she likes to work and jump. I can send you pics if you like.

There are absolutely some really, really nice QH x WBs out there :slight_smile: Monique Matson/Safyre Sporthorses, who owned Champs Guthrie, bred him to a TB mare and got Safyre. She bred her to Sir Gregory and got Sachi .

A friend of mine bred her nice APHA mare to Prelude by Mozart and got the lovely Pashmina, who was subsequently exported to Germany for a breeding program. This filly just had a foal (sire I cannot remember) and is being bred to Fantastic for a 2014 foal.

[QUOTE=poltroon;6893471]
Quarter Horses can make great jumpers and fabulous sport horses, but that doesn’t necessarily translate to a reliable genetic mix with warmbloods, even when the animals appear similar phenotypically.[/QUOTE]

^ This. Our registered QH mares - never bred to another QH - have thrown an ARRAY of babies. Some looking nothing like what we expected - some good, some bad. The best in the mix up in a true mutt - out of a 14.2hh P234 QH Mare by a WelshxTBxConnemara 13.1hh medium. The result: a 15 3/4 hh uphill mare, that moves WOW with a fancy jump & tons of step; easy & uncomplicated with the best brain ever. Wish her back end wasn’t as straight up & down as it is :frowning: We were breeding for a large pony. Oh well.

About 13 years ago or so, someone in this area did the QH x WB putting a WB stallion to a variety of QH mares. Almost ALL of those babies (regardless of mare) were short, thick and heavy. They needed more neck and the good mover was the rare exception. They were good 15.2 hh husband horses for the most part but definitely not marketable as much more than that…and those were the ones with a good brain and mileage.

As with breeding anything, you have to look at pedigree to see what mix is back there. QH’s who are well over 50% TB, and not just because their sire was a TB and dam was 1/64th TB way back, but more like sire TB and dam 25% TB or more, are probably going to be a bit more reliable in the offspring department, than a QH mare who is a mish-mash of reining, cutting, halter, and HUS breeding.

WB breeders shouldn’t be breeding the nice mare without having some idea of what her pedigree also looked like, since she may be the anomaly. QH MO’s shouldn’t be doing it either :slight_smile:

I am not clever enough to do links so I uploaded my QH x Trak with a mud who leased her this summer to my profile pic.

I think it depends on the stallion and the mare, and what one is intending for the foal. Below are pictures of offspring of QH mares and Ironman. Quite frankly I was tentative at first but have had good results,
NM

eye2.jpg

Eliresize.jpg

lexi + hadley.jpg

cricket2.jpg

India.jpg

I have a WB x QH gelding, I bought him as a two year old he is now 8 coming 9 this summer and is my Prelim horse. He came from a back yard breeder who was breeding for her forever horse and then life got in the way, worked out well for me. He also turned out tons better than both his sire and dam as for as looks, conformation and movement. However he didn’t get either of their ammy friendly personalities, he’s sensitive, forward and very spooky.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.251473270266.141605.248539915266&type=3

I’m not sure my filly really counts she’s 1/4 QH, her dam was an Appendix and sire is a WB. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151161088645267.449475.248539915266&type=3

[QUOTE=Rozlyn14;6899154]

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.251473270266.141605.248539915266&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151161088645267.449475.248539915266&type=3[/QUOTE]

I love both your horses :yes:

• but must admit I’m total sucker for n.i.c.e. photos!

[QUOTE=Rambler;6891780]
Alright I know I can trust you guys to be brutally honest so here goes…
What do you think of the idea of breeding a QH to a WB? Is it even done? Would I get laughed at even inquiring? I have a lovely QH mare, she has good conformation, nice movement and nice manners and was very easy to train. She is however, short, stocky and built downhill. I am looking to keep the foal for myself to do low level eventing at some point. I am not tall and 16hh is fine with me! Opinions?[/QUOTE]

Photos & Video???
also include pedigree, & then I suspect you might get some more “useful” input (e.g., stallion names)
:slight_smile:

A lady near me has an Oldenburg/QH cross. She has no idea what to do with it, she has been training him for barrels, but says he doesn’t “like” them and would probably be better as a jumper, but she doesn’t jump. Now she’s trying to sell him and no one has even responded. He’s a lovely boy with a good personality, but I think people are just confused. Really, I think she’d be better off selling him as an unknown or as a “grade” than mentioning the cross. I think he’d do well as a low level pony club horse, or as a trail horse.
Anyway, unless you know that you are keeping him forever and you have a plan for him if he doesn’t take to “Western”-type disciplines, you may want to look for a different cross.

My first “real” horse was a Han/QH (Han stallion/ QH mare) that I bought at 6 months old. He is hands down the best, most useful horse I’ve ever had and he is my heart horse (my screen name is his nickname). He is also the reason I got into Hanoverians.

I competed him through PSG, evented him through training level, my friend borrowed him and took her “B” pony club test on him, I barrel raced him, trail rode EVERYWHERE, drove him hooked to sleighs, sleds and sulkeys; and I can even canter him around bareback, backwards in a halter and lead rope :slight_smile:

He is coming 25 this year and is perfectly sound and simultaneously being my friend’s lower level dressage horse and another friend’s grandkid’s horse. I now have much fancier horses but none are as special or useful as my wonderful Tico…