Unlimited access >

Racing Teams… 🙄

Because it reminded me of cities who used to have just Minor League ball teams and then started wanting to keep up with the Joneses and have a Major League team of their own. And all that involved.
Cities wanting to get in on the Olympics by fighting to host one discipline even if it meant having to drive an hour or more just to watch.

The flip side is a city building a track and then having to shut it down. When was the Flamingo last run, at Hialeah?

What happens when horses start dying at teams ’ tracks?

Well that’s history repeating itself, with a variation. Like when NBC used to show the Derby and Preakness and ABC showed the Belmont.
So now i know why CBS Sports has been posting so much racing news.

NO CITIES ARE BUILDING TRACKS!!!

How many times do I need to say that?!!

5 existing tracks are hosting racing league events. That is it!

You really need to read the articles.

1 Like

You have no idea what cities might start wanting to do once they see other cities jumping onto this bandwagon. IF it turns out to be a money maker. Maybe no cities are building tracks now. But they might in the future.
When i was growing up my city had 1, Minor League, team and no stadium. Now it has half a dozen.

And we have no idea whether or not an intergalactic war will break out and destroy all the cities tomorrow.

Pretty much every major city has a racetrack. There are over 100 active racetracks in North America. I am sure they can work it out if other cities want to get on board.

3 Likes

America’s Day At The Races is livestreamed daily, free, on Youtube, I think NYRA sponsors but don’t take my word for it.
Granted, they don’t show every race at every track, but I very often have it on in the background and flip over to it to catch horses whose names/connections I recognize. It’s a nice way to get a Thoroughbred racing fix.

1 Like

I touted an idea years ago that was sort of similar but instead of the horses being the “team” the handicappers were. So basically there would be different teams of handicappers and they would make their picks and with one swoop you could bet all their picks for the day. They would be competing against the other teams of handicappers and there would be a big prize for whatever team won the year but obviously if you chose the team that handicapped the best you could win money all along the way. The idea was to basically dumb it down for people who didn’t know how to handicap themselves while giving them a rooting interest as well.

5 Likes