Unlimited access >

Random trailer buying questions from a newbie

I was surprised you said this since you had a Turnbow–don’t they all have fiberglass roofs?

Exactly. I took a nap in my Brenderup on a 90+ degree day and it was cool in there. My Shadow with a 7’6" fiberglass roof is definitely cooler than the steel stock trailer (allegedly 7’ tall) that preceded it.

So I knew I wanted to have a fiberglass roof always, but the stock trailer was a friend’s who was selling when I found out my mare would NOT learn to self load in the B’up. But due to my first horse’s injury that would not have let him load in a step up, I knew I always wanted to have a ramp option. So after a while of owning 2 trailers, I ordered the Shadow with the best of both worlds, just in time to get one with a fiberglass roof.

If this interests the OP, the trailers I know of being made with fiberglass roofs are Hawk, Turnbow, Double D, Equispirit, Balanced Ride, Gore.

2 Likes

Re Slant loads: I had for a bunch of years a Brenderup. Loved it. Got a new WB mare and she did not love it. Scrambled on turns, even at like 2 mph, managed to bend the divider, etc. Tried her in a friend’s slant and she was fine so I bought one (step up). My problem was that given her size (16’2" and length) she did not fit in the bigger stall so I had to jury-rig the divider. Didn’t matter as I only haul one horse. But worth keeping in mind depending…
Fast forward different horse, more compact. I left the stall set up, all was well. He liked to turn and go out front, very good, would stop at edge, look and do a little hop to ground. One day he shook the trailer doing this, and scared himself, and I began to have trouble getting him off! Finally went and had a ramp added, all is well again.
In my perfect world I’m a straight load w/ ramp fan.
I will admit that the newer trailer has probably 3x the storage space for tack and other stuff. That part is nice but I still deep down inside, miss the Brenderup.
Lots to think about!!

1 Like

Could be that nothing feels good when the heat index is over 100 with 90% humidity.

I’ve found that the horses came off sweatier from the Turnbow as opposed to my steel Titan. BUT I think it has everything to do with better air flow.

1 Like

I have to agree. I think it is more of an airflow thing than a materials thing.
My trailer is white and fiberglass construction and it is plenty toasty in there on hot days. I do not think it is any cooler than my friend’s all steel trailer.

1 Like

Questions on width - I am thinking of getting a new trailer and looking at slants. How wide does the trailer need to be for your horse to turn around to get off? My mare is 16.2H. I’ve got a Brup now which is too small for her (she exceeds the height recommended for my particular trailer).

A 16.2 hand horse is most likely going to be very tight in a slant unless you plane on removing a divider and using 2 slant stalls for her.

1 Like

My horse is 16.3+. My Logan 3h slant is extra wide and there is no rear tack. He has no problems turning around in order to walk out of the trailer. (That said, he is a very cooperative horse and is not bothered by being asked to turn in enclosed spaces.)

1 Like

@lintesia, what’s the width on that “extra wide”? Is it 8’ (96")?

@cutter99 - thanks for that observation! Yes, she’s the only horse I have, so that would not be a problem. I hate rear tacks, so I would not have one of those. I’m used to my Brup Solo and have no plans to ever trailer two horses together.

It’s 7’3" – Logan now offers a 8’ wide trailer but back in 2007 when I ordered it, it was considered extra-wide. It’s also “extra tall” 7’6". I love it and the horses I’ve transported in it seem comfortable and happy. I’m mostly just hauling my own horse these days and so I open up the two back stalls for him. But when he’s traveling with a buddy and has to be in the middle stall, he’s fine.

Not sure if you are looking for a gooseneck or bumper pull, but the trailer I cannot live without is our 16’ gooseneck stock trailer. It is 7’ wide with a cut gate in the middle that divides it into 2 7’ X 8’ box stalls. While ours has a calf gate, that lets you store things in the neck with the calf gate protecting them, the trailer would be absolutely perfect if it had a small dressing room. You can turn the horse very easily to get it off.

Ours is a step up, and I have even been able to load a feral horse on it without getting us or the horse panicked or hurt. He rode very well in the trailer too.

I just sold my Brenderup and bought a Bockmann - a German trailer that is a marvel of engineering. It weighs just over 2000 lbs and is a 2 horse. Engineered to be used with much smaller tow vehicles - which matters when gas prices are high. It can carry a max of 3300 lbs of horse so is way more capacity than I need for my 14.2 Morgan. It has an aluminum floor sealed with a rubber mat, stacked aluminum walls and a fiberglass roof and front. The company is in Texas and delivers to California frequently. Rather than try to describe it, here is a website. Bockmann trailers

2 Likes

Stonewall, how would you compare the Bockmann vs the Brenderup? I love my 2010 Bup, but confess that I look alittle enviously at the Bockmanns, which of course continue to innovate and update.

one thing about European trailers, the maximum allowable towing speed in Europe is well below US expectations. Germany it is 80KM …that is 50 MPH… around here you would get run over

1 Like

As I’ve said before on the forum, my 16.1 long bodied mare can turn around in my Shadow 6’4" wide slant. She wears an 81" Amigo blanket. It’s tight, but she does it every time.

Wow, when did they build a US plant? I had to look to see if they moved into the old Brenderup facility = nope. So wild that they both chose Texas…maybe not so much if they checked into the taxes…

I think the Brenderup was a wonderful trailer to tow. I took it from the Canadian Rockies to Florida to Arizona etc. What finally got to me was thinking about the plywood floor. Eventually that was going to soften up. The thought of a leg going through - well that is just too awful. Mine was also a 2010 and when I sold it the floor was fine but reading about others having the replace the floor got to me.
The Bockmann has an aluminum floor with sealed with a rubber matt. It was a lot more $$$ but not worrying about floor integrity is worth quite a bit. Downsides: It is heavier and since I never intend to own a second horse seems like the second stall is wasted space.

I had my B’up floor replaced with Rumber ~2012. Then had to change trailers since Ms. Mare refused to self load.

I’m just going to say it and prepare to get hammered. I don’t like your tow vehicle. If you have a lightweight trailer and 1 horse , maybe. The rear end of your truck (most likely) has shocks and a duel axle for a nice ride and handling. You drop something with a heavy tongue weight, you’ll notice it. It says that the F150 hybrid weights 4600 pounds, give or take. The weight of the tow vehicle should not be less than 75% of what you are towing. Example: 4600 pounds is 75% of 6300. 6300 pounds is the max you should be towing animals with. Go ahead and max out the towing weight at 14,000 pounds and hit the brakes at 65 MPH and see how it goes. I just don’t like the truck you have chosen. A 3/4 ton has a solid rear axle and leaf springs, the way God intended. You are not going to be running around in electric mode towing 6000 pounds so not really a very efficient tow vehicle. Can you use an F150? Yes but they make a more heavy duty model that would work better.

Now as for a trailer, I like an over sized straight load with a ramp for my big boys. I like a walk out door on both sides and nice big hay feeders in front of each horse.

1 Like

What about the Sooner trailers? Have you heard anything about them?