Unlimited access >

Rats?

Simkie, I never knew there was non-toxic bait either. Great idea!

NancyM, I loved your post! It’s not something I would do, but I couldn’t stop laughing.

We got a 2-year old Australian Shepherd last fall. So far, he’s caught two; one at the barn, and one by a flower bed. So far he’s caught 1 groundhog, 2 rats and 1 chipmunk, plus I think I’m missing a few. A friend has a terrier and I want to try that!

1 Like

Wow Simkie! If the stock market ever goes back up and decides to give me some of my money back, I need to build a garage, renovate the kitchen, etc. I also want to build a barn if the county will allow it and my money doesn’t run out. What do you have for stall floors under the mats? Right now we have double-walled stall, which are terrible for the rats. We’ve closed the openings, but the rats are still wandering around and hiding in the hay. I have a picture of our Aussie on top of hay bales looking for the rates. Thanks for all the info.

I have recycled asphalt under my mats, which I absolutely do not recommend. Screenings are the way to go. Or concrete.

When we moved in, the people we bought from didn’t handle the rats. I was SO surprised, because I’ve sure never had rats in the barn before. They were tunneling under the mats and between the stalls. The stall base was a mess (they used play sand??? :roll_eyes:) so I picked up the mats first thing and had horses on the base until we could rip it all out and redo it.

Stall walls are 2x8s, so no getting inside them. When we did the stall floors, we added on to the stall walls, too, bringing them down into the floor more. So it’s a lot harder for rats to tunnel under the stall walls.

Rats were tunneling under the concrete foundation of the barn from outside. I collapsed those tunnels, kept the grass pulled back from those areas, and keep bait boxes out there.

They were also going under the run in from the outside, with tunnels under the mats in the run in. Lifted those, redid the base with screenings. Still had a bit of action, so added an apron of hardware mesh on the outside wall to prevent any incursion. Bait boxes here too.

The most recent issue I’ve seen was a couple years ago with the flax. Tried trapping, baiting etc but when there’s a safe food source, there’s no incentive for the rats to take a risk. Grinding adds a step in the feed room, but eliminates the food source for the rats.

I feel like it’s a pretty simple equation: what are the rats eating? Eliminate that access. Where are they living? Eliminate that access. It might not be easy :joy: but there’s no real magic to it, ykwim? As long as you’re feeding and housing them, though, they’ll be more than happy to move in!

2 Likes

Opportunists are opportunists! Today in my lesson, a horse pooped and before it could be picked, a crow grabbed a poop ball and flew off. I have never seen anything like that before!

2 Likes

I was just out mowing and a rat ran in front of me through the lawn and I thought of you Simkie. I stomped down my tunnels and stopped the flax. I poured a big glass of wine and thinking we need an Australian Shepherd or a Terrier.

2 Likes

My dog will not go near the barn he is terrified of the elect fence. My one outdoor cat stays by the house too even feeding him in the barn he runs right back to the house. Not to mention will kill birds…and field mice…and squirrels…but not the dang barn rats!!!

1 Like

You haven’t met the fella a few miles down the road from us. He deserves the rats… his personality and actions begs for them actually. When you earn rats through your behaviour, rats should be provided.

I actually don’t like to see the rats killed. They are a PITA for us, for sure. But it’s not their fault that they are rats, no one has responsibility for the species they are born into, a rat can’t help being a rat, needing to eat, and wanting to raise it’s family. They are an animal in nature, doing what an animal does. Does it deserve to die for that? IMO, relocating them is both humane for the rat, and “right” for someone who so richly deserves rats. So it ticks both boxes for me.

4 Likes

This is an interesting thread. In our barn, we only have one cat. Obviously he can’t catch them all. He’s also well fed. I have wondered about putting down bait in my area. But I don’t want to make the cat sick. What are the odds he’d try to eat something that was poisoned?
It’s getting ridiculous, the amount of rodents…

2 Likes

Relocating wildlife generally leads to death by starvation or predation. Removing them from the area they know into another where they have no idea where to find food, water, or safety is not at all humane, which is one reason why it’s illegal. It also causes the spread of disease.

Risk of secondary poisoning with a cholecalciferol bait like Terad3 is incredibly slim, with zero cases described in the literature and in research. Be sure to use locked bait boxes, as primary poisoning of non target species is still a risk with loose bait.

Secondary poisoning risk with the anticoagulant baits is high. Don’t use those.

1 Like

My previous barn had gravel/screenings if some sort under the mats, and the rats loved it.

My current barn has concrete under the mats, and that definitely helped. But there were still rats in the hollow walls between the stalls,

When I got a couple of barn cats, they killed a lot of baby rats. I do not think they killed any adult rats, but the adults decided to relocate.

The rats have never come back.

Ugh. I found evidence of rats tunneling yesterday. Currently have stone dust with mats over it which the rats and groundhogs seem to love. I have yet to see them but I know they are there.

I already have two big black snakes and a couple of barn cats that came with the property.

@Simkie would the bait boxes with Terad be ok with my cats and rat snakes prowling around?

Not in this case. Water nearby.

I think you are missing the point that relocating wild animals is typically illegal and there is a reason for that.

The nearby water is likely in the territory of an existing colony so the newly deposited animal has to figure out how to navigate to the water source without getting itself killed by the existing occupants who consider it theirs.

4 Likes

Yep. But also look hard at what food sources they’re there for and remove them. If rats can still eat whatever they’re into now, there’s no incentive to risk the bait boxes, and they’ll happily continue their ratty little lives without taking the bait. By removing all other food sources, you’re pressuring them to leave (yay!) or eat what you’re serving.

Also, I always handle bait boxes with gloves, and disturb them as little as possible. Rats are so wary!

@NancyM I assume you’re being facetious…?

1 Like

I have the best barn cat ever! He pretty much eliminated the mice. Killed at least one rat that I know of. I have not seen any rats or mice the last couple of months.

Unfortunately our resident owls relocated because of the dwindling food supply.

1 Like

I really want a shirt that says “Barn Rats Are Dumb Throw Rocks At Them” right now…:rofl::rofl::innocent::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Erinmeri, that’s another great story! I haven’t heard of that one.

NancyM, I agree with Simkie. I used to think that relocating was a win-win situation. I read a few articles and found out that it’s cruel to the animal, whether, rat, possum or raccoon, etc. They’re in a new environment, don’t know where food or water is, and generally die from starvation of the resident animals attacking them. I hope you find a new way to have fun with your neighbor. Please let me know and I’m sure it’ll be hilarious.

luvmyhacknew, I’m jealous of the snakes!

carman_liz, I want one of those t-shirts too! Once I found a baby rat in a stall. This little guy couldn’t do anything - including climb the wall to get away from me. I just took him to the long grass by the creek about 50 feet away and left him there. We have hawks, owls, raccoons, possums, and snakes, so I gave someone a free meal. Hope they enjoyed it.

For those serious D-con users: I put my bait stations with d-con out about a week ago. Today I checked two (out of curiosity) and nothing had been eaten. I think the package said I could leave the plastic on the bait, which I did. Do you take yours off? P.S. I always used gloves or paper towels when handling a bait station and throw some old hay or dust laying on the floor on the station when I finished. Do you have any other ideas that might be helpful? TIA

2 Likes

What other food sources do you have available? Rats are wary! If they can score a meal without risk, they’re going to take the easy route.

I would remove the plastic, so it’s easier for them to smell the bait, though.

3 Likes