Unlimited access >

Really?

I guess I’m not really sure what they could do if shoes that were legal were not immediately available. I recognize those shoes are aluminum …. Farriers who hot shoe w steel draw out toe and side clips. This is sort of the opposite.:grinning:. (Not siding with anyone-just following along and thought I’d mention it.). Edited to add if the toe grab were ground down/off, I am fairly certain the finish of that area would look different from that of the rest of the shoe…

2 Likes

The problem is that HISA made a rule that toe grabs had to be a certain height or less but that certain height literally did not exist. You had thousands of horses that needed shod so the only choice was to switch to a different type of shoe or grind down the toe grabs on shoes that did exist to make them compliant.

3 Likes

I’m sure everyone has seen the news that Eric Reed has quit his job as trainer for Rich Strike’s owner.
Not the first time a Derby win has prompted kerfuffles among the connections.
Though I am not sure how much “legacy” there will be for a horse who’s still eligible for NW2, even if he did win the Derby. This isn’t meant as a dig at Richie; he has no say in how the humans behave.

Two movie deals in the works? Rich Strike could have been such a good, heartwarming story if his connections had just stayed quiet and humble on several subjects and let the horse do their talking for them. Even if he never wins again, lots of people would love the idea of a huge long shot who on that one day suddenly had all the stars align.

I hope he gets a new trainer who runs him to conditions and builds his confidence back up, but honestly, if I were a trainer, I would not want to work for these connections.

1 Like

Never underestimate the power of ego in sports, particularly that of some owners with deep pockets and lawyers handy. They can chew on a case like a dog on a bone. Really think their trainers can afford that or want to spend months in court?

2 Likes

Latest news on Richie.

1 Like

aaand he has now been moved to Mott’s barn. honestly, the owner of this horse seems like a prick. but on the other hand; Mott might be a better option for the horse

2 Likes

Mott is an excellent choice. If the horse has it in him still Bill will help him succeed.

6 Likes