Unlimited access >

Rearing on the ground

[QUOTE=hszentim;8668281]
Thank you! My horse was born and broke at the farm where I bought him, he is experiencing a major change right now coming from one farm to another. Where he was when the worked with him it was all business but when he was in the field that was his space to be a horse and the never entered his space without intention to do work. Now I must accept some of the responsibility for his behaviour, I have a 17 year old thoroughbred gelding who is a complete dream. I have had him for 11 years and his paddock is our ‘chill and be silent together’ space. Clearly the new horse is not used to this kind of atmosphere and now that I am wanting to share that space he is acting like a horse wanting to play with another horse. Admittedly I have a lot to learn, but I am accepting a huge portion of the blame here as I need to understand that he is not a pet he is a horse. With help from a trainer I hope to teach him a thing or two and learn a lot myself.[/QUOTE]

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Horses are pretty much “pets” unless you are raising them to send to market for a profit, and I don’t think you are. He’s a companion animal, and he should be companionable. It is completely unacceptable for him to show aggressive (even playfully aggressive) behavior towards you, I don’t care where you are. It’s YOUR field, not his. You own it, and you own HIM. He needs to learn that YOU are allowing HIM to hang out in YOUR field. Right now he’s got the opposite idea, and he’s about convinced you of it too. No! You’re the human, he’s the critter, he comes second.

Now, all of that said, was he turned out alone or in company at the previous farm? And would you be willing to consider turning him out with your other gelding? I think this sounds like a horse that lacks social skills, and the best way to learn them is from another horse. Of course, only if it won’t pose a danger to either of them.

My horses know there is nowhere on this planet that I cannot walk into, push them around, and lay all over them. And I expect them to be polite and submissive. A horse that cannot handle this will not keep this address long. Ain’t nobody got time for that! :slight_smile:

Good luck! Be careful!

By any chance, was this horse an orphan?

And I’m sorry but I’m not buying the major change because he change barns as an excuse. If he can’t handle changes such as what you’ve described, maybe not the best horse for you…

I agree with WMW. Sounds like an orphan or at the very least a very alpha horse.

Don’t use Parellii!! Parelli is like Julia Child - long, long, complicated explanations that take years to master. That’s what “the long road to the airport” means. Clinton Anderson is like Martha Stewart - short and fast and easy recipes that anyone can do. He says, Do This, then that and then that. Very direct, easy to use. He tells you what to do if your horse does this, or that (trouble shooting.) Very easy – and it works!! Just get the book Respect and Control. It’s less than $20. Changed my life. Then I completely retrained my horse using his method and I had a nice calm trail horse and I never needed anyone’s help again. Honest!!

How do you halter him?