Unlimited access >

Regumate and stud colts

Thanks, I tried to explain in the first post that he was just a normal colt, leading , trailer loading , tying, but a few weeks ago he turned into a monster.
I found out today that he had savaged the other colt he gets turned out with.They had been best friends always together, now the other colt is afraid of him.
However the good news is he got his first dose of Regumate on Tuesday and already today there is a big difference in him,so it looks like it might be working.
They put him in a paddock by himself and he didn’t charge at anyone ( people or horse), so hopefully he will be ok until he is gelded!

Yes, this is what my two did as well. Well behaved one minute and then raging hormones the next. Due to him being at a public boarding stable, I would just go ahead and geld rather than wait. Not fair to the colt and everything else around him.

3 Likes

this is one of those incredibly maddening posts from someone who appeared to be sincerely requesting advice and information, and then listened to NONE OF IT. NOT ONE PERSON thought that dosing this colt was a good idea. I do realize that the original poster is not actually the owner, but the update indicates nothing to show that any suggestions were heeded.

6 Likes

Agreed! :wink:

2 Likes

I get the Quarter Horse Journal. It had an article on stallions. I watch all the shows at a very high level from cutting, reining, and working cow. They all ride stallions. They can do this because of Regumate. The vet said some stallions are so hard to train that they come to him for gelding or Regumate. Some stallions don’t need it. My mare had two stud colts by different fathers. Rocky is a 5 year old stud and is in cutting training. He does not need it. His brother by a very famous stallion is a yearling and is going to get gelded. He is really bad. Some just can’t handle all that testosterone. I can see why they would use Regumate instead of gelding. These show stallions are worth a lot more as studs for future breeding.

You really want your first post on COTH to be bumping a 6 year old thread to make the claim that everyone who competes a QH stallion can only do so because they are drugging them?

6 Likes

You know for a fact that all those stallions are on Regumate?

And they’re ALL stallions? No geldings at all? No mares?

2 Likes