Unlimited access >

ReLyne vs. GutX vs. something else?

Did you try their site?

https://www.resolvet.com/site/relyne-new-formulation#studies

2 Likes

My EPM horseā€”after ulcer treatment (2x) and 2 colicsā€”has not had any issues after starting Relyne GI May of ā€˜23. With pastures going dormant last fall, I added Triple Crown Balancer, which is full of pre/pro. Lifecare Digestive Health is my affordable go-to for summer pre/pro, I get it on Chewy.

Dosing: I did the 2x/day (30cc total) for the first month, then 10cc 2x/day until the boarding mgmt had to switch to 1x/day. I bought some syringes on eBay and pre-fill them every week, they squirt it on top of his feed in the morning (ahhh, the attempts to solve boarding issues). So for maintenance itā€™s been 15cc/day but I bump up to 20cc in times of stress. Iā€™m sure Hagyard would think my dosing is too low, but heā€™s had no issues :blush:I started the new formulation a few weeks ago.

I hope this helps, and good wishes for good health! Our horses are all so different, and I can say it feels like ā€œthrowing darts in the darkā€ many days!

1 Like

I am trying Daily Gold - 3 scoops, and for whatever reason, my wb gelding seems to be feeling and acting better/more calmly

3 Likes

A little late but wanted to chime in as my horse just had 2 impactions while on GutX (double amount) and SmartGI Ultra. Weā€™re taking away both and sheā€™s going on Assure Guard. She had surgery to remove the impactions. Weā€™ll start the Assure Guard next week s we have to introduce anything very, very slowly.
Sheā€™s also had ulcers while on Smart GI and GutX.

Equine Medical Center of Ocala (widely respected vet hospital) put by gelding on Assure Guard Gold (the version with psyllium in it as well) for longterm use after finding that he has a very sensitive GI system and cannot tolerate certain types of hay. I swear by the Assure Guard Gold. After a couple years, I backed down to just the Assure Guard version and added my own pelleted psyllium to save some money, but I swear by their products. They arenā€™t cheap though!

1 Like

The Assure Guard is cheaper than the SmartGI Ultra I was using so Iā€™m happy about that. Our emergency hospital said the Assure Guard (not Gold) for my mare. Sheā€™s very, very sensitive so I think itā€™ll be good. Iā€™m hoping itā€™ll help with ulcers and FWS, too. The reviews mentioned that it helps all three. Fingers crossed!
It does have some psyllium and you can supplement their Assure Plus one a month, similar to Sand Clear. Iā€™ll probably do that a couple of times a year. We donā€™t have sand at the place I board and it wasnā€™t a sand colic but itā€™s still good to do every so often.

Our regular vet used to work in Colorado and recommends the Gold. She said they have a ton of horses who colic out there.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m guessing they did the Guard only version to give her GI tract more of a rest that the AGG would provide with all the psyllium it has in it.

1 Like

When I switched to Assure Guard from the AGG version, I researched psyllium supplements to try to find one that is processed similarly to the AGG version (pelleted with a certain processā€“cant remember exactly). The one I went with was Su-per Psyllium in the pellet form.

Thank you. I was going to research to see what else was out there that is a good quality but not quite so expensive. Iā€™ll check out the Su-per Psyllium.

Valley Vet is the cheapest I have found. They have sales often as well.

1 Like

I havenā€™t had an issue with colic with this girl. Fingers crossed I never do. She finished up on the omeprozole this weekend so is just on the Relyne and outlast now.

Iā€™ve had several horses with ulcers, pyloric and otherwise thanks to living in southern california with limited group turnout options.

Iā€™ve tried Relyne, Assure Guard Gold, SmartPak GI Ultra, Platinum Performance GI, aloe vera, Alimend. The best product Iā€™ve used is Protek-GI. The vet who created is one of the more well-respected ulcer vets, Dr. Ben Sykes.

It is expensive. But it genuinely has helped several horses including a mare I turned out for a year with no work her ulcers were so bad. I now have all my horses on it and my vet has seen other cases where it had a large benefit. It has the beta glucans and pectin that seem to work together synergistically to coat the stomach. It also has pre-post biotics.

2 Likes