Unlimited access >

Removal of one or two ovaries

That’s interesting. I asked my ob/gyn whether they could tell if it was cancer during the surgery and she said that they could not, that it would have to be sent to a lab. Perhaps you had an open surgery so there was more time?

But yikes, a torsion is one of those things that she warned me about. Must have been very painful. I hope that you are fully recovered!

If your surgeon isn’t able to send tissue to pathology in hospital and get a stat answer, you may want to consider seeing a different surgeon, who is better supported. This is a VERY reasonable expectation.

1 Like

It’s Mass General Hospital. So?

Check in with Brigham and Women’s? They’re the #1 hospital in the country for gynecology:

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gynecology

Mass General is 53rd.

1 Like

The hospitals merged some time ago, it’s now Mass General Brigham.

I get it, but it is not like I am going to some podunk community hospital. And this is not a particularly unique or complicated surgery. It is almost certainly not cancer. It was described as likely a simple cyst or possibly a “borderline epithelial ovarian neoplasm."

1 Like

Hm, that’s curious that they’re still scored separately on US News. It’s always worthwhile to get a few opinions before surgery, perhaps talk to another surgeon or two? I’d seek out at least one who was historically with Brigham and see if you get a different answer.

Thanks, but surgery is scheduled for April 13th. I’m quite comfortable with my doctor and what she is telling me.

1 Like

I had the surgery on Thursday, and after all of the advice that I got here, and reading and considering the NIH article linked above by @Equibrit, I decided to have both ovaries and fallopian tubes removed.

The findings were that one ovary had a simple cyst and no malignant cells were found in cytology. The other ovary was shriveled up, as @Bluey indicated might be the case. The report called it atrophic.

Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

13 Likes

Great all went well and there was no malignancy there, best news of all.
Take good care of yourself now and enjoy a somewhat worry free life forward. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Pleased you are happy with the outcome. I had the whole lot out (14cm ovarian tumor) and was expecting to be bothered by the lack of hormones. Luckily was not. There’s a lot to be said for your state of mind.

3 Likes

14 cm? Wow.

Thanks again.

2 Likes