Unlimited access >

Rescued-- UPDATE & New Kittens- update 10/30/23

I forgot my place @2DogsFarm . We have been “cat-less” for a while :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

This morning I got two of the outside feral cats banging their little paws imperiously on my front door because I was late with their breakfast. Oh a thousand apologies your highnesses :roll_eyes:

Cats. Honestly. Even the feral ones.

15 Likes

We put some new square bales in the loft where Barn Kitty and Silo reside. I hadn’t seen BK in a few days although the food was being eaten. They have several places they hide between last years remaining bales.

I wanted to use up what I have left, so I started taking from “their stack” and to my horror I found a surprise when I removed one at the end by the wall…

Silo has 4 siblings! Look to be about a week old.

She came at me and I quickly put the bale covering her and the 4 kittens back. I went down to the house and got the cage and a pair of gloves. I was surprised that I could just take hold of her and put her in the cage. Then I added her babies.

Vet said to wait to spay her till they are weaned. I want to socialize them so I can find new homes when the time is ready, so we made a large enclosed wire pen , covered the top in chicken wire and it is a completely " red neck" contraption but my daughter and I used what we had. It is large and open and so far she is still in it!!

1 calico.

2 orange & white ( you can only see 1 in the pics).

1 gray & white.

Not what I had planned for my day and I am a bit overwhelmed , but so happy I caught her :smiley:

23 Likes

Oh no. She has been a busy girl. She def needs to be spayed. Her little babies are sure cute. But no more, Miss Kitty! I am glad you were able to grab her with no incident.

Is Little Silo still around?

5 Likes

That’s a calico/tabby that is called a Calliby.

Hopefully you can contain her until you can get her fixed.

2 Likes

Glad you were able to catch her!! Any chance of mom and babies hanging out in a bathroom for a few weeks? Mama cats tend to keep babies well fed and clean as long as they themselves are in good health. Somewhere temperature regulated and bug free goes a long way towards helping mom out. It also helps kittens adjust to inside sounds, smells, etc.

These kittens will be a snap to socialize and after containing mama cat and getting her spayed, she will likely be quite the social butterfly. I definitely would not let her out again until spayed. If you’re willing to house and provide initial care, a local rescue may be willing to partner and help with some of the vetting to soften the blow. They can be spayed/neutered at 8 weeks. Charging a fee to recoup sterilization surgery and initial vaccines is a nice way to ensure a family is ready for the commitment that is a kitten and ensures that the kittens do not become part of the cycle of our massive overpopulation issue.

6 Likes

So cute!! Glad they were easily caught. Will make socializing much easier.

2 Likes

:clap:Great job!
You have now joined the COTH OhEmGee! Kittens!!! Clique :laughing:
Channel @moonlitoaksranch & be glad your count topped out at 5 (including Silo).
That little caliby is sooooooo key-oot! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Any chance you’re in the Midwest?
My barn has no resident barncat, just drivebys :smirk:

6 Likes

Awesome! Some of ours go home next weekend, so we’ll have less cuteness available. Glad someone is coming in for the next shift! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Great job! Good luck with the babies!

3 Likes

@moonlitoaksranch and @beowulf can testify to the insatiable appetite that COTH has for kitten updates.

8 Likes

I hadn’t seen him all week and was worried. This morning I found him sitting on top of momma’s cage.

He found a way into their pen and now he can’t get out! He sure tried when I first went in . So now I can socialize him ( i hope ) and get him fixed too.

Can’t believe my luck and he is so pretty :star_struck:

24 Likes

Never heard of that color and it is rather striking. Might need to keep it :blush: NOT !!

So far she is in to stay and has settled down. She runs right up to me when I am trying to get into the pen to feed , water and do litter. Hissing, spitting, growling and swatting at me :roll_eyes:

When should I start to handle the kittens? I am totally out of my element here.

3 Likes

I wish but we are crowded as it is with 5 people and 3 dogs in a 1200 sq foot home.

She is in the hay loft where she normally resides ( and where the kittens were born) it is fairly cool and has real good ventilation.

She is caring for them just fine and looks to be in good shape herself. I feed her well.

I will just try to get my hands on them and spend time in there several times a day.

3 Likes

It is 6 with Silo. You can’t see Orange Kitten #2.
Yes-- I am in the Midwest . The Calliby will be ready and waiting for you!!

ETA: You know they would be happier and settle in better if you took 2 :grin:

9 Likes

Enabler! :laughing:
How far are you from NW IN?
asking for a friend… :smirk:

2 Likes

Tell your " friend" I am 6 hours from Burns Harbor, IN.

I just googled what towns were considered NW IN.

:sleepy:Too far for a road trip when there are kittens galore close to home.
But I hope Silo’s stepsibs find homes in pairs :crossed_fingers:

I understand that.

I hope they find new, good homes too.

2 Likes

Cuties, for sure!

You can socialize them starting now, as long as Mama is good with it. Pick them up, love on them, and keep it up.

2 Likes

You may have to use something to separate her from kittens when you want to socialize.

I have friends who do cat rescue and they took two mommies off my property (one with 9 kittens on board and the other with 2 ginormous babies) and while the moms were not happy to be handled (growling, etc) if they used something to keep mom from attacking - a small piece of cardboard or a really yummy treat - they could get the kittens out. And once moms saw that babies were being returned and okay, they settled down.

6 Likes