Unlimited access >

Rescued-- UPDATE & New Kittens- update 10/30/23

Start now. Go to you tube and search “kitten lady feral moms” for tips on how to handle and socialize babies with a feral mama.

A long handled big wooden spoon or spatula is a useful tool. When the babies are little you can just scoop one up on the big spoon and bring it towards you while maintaining a safe distance from mamas claws. When I had feral mom + 4 babies last year I also got some thick elbow length leather gloves which came in handy. Mom might mellow out as she starts to associate you with food. I had them in my garage in a huge dog crate. Feral momma got used to me feeding and cleaning and taking her babies into the house for playtime and socializing. I think she even enjoyed the break when her kiddos got older and more rowdy. She never warmed up to me or wanted to be a pet, but the growls and jump scares stopped.

Congrats on joining the kitten care-taker team :smiley_cat::smiley_cat::smiley_cat:

9 Likes

Yes! Go for it. But make it 2. :crossed_fingers: :grin:

1 Like

@Alex_and_Bodie_s_Mom , @shiloh , @BatCoach

Thank you for the advice . I will start handling them now!!

There is a PEP ( protect every pet) low cost spay/ neuter clinic in the next town over from me! I had no idea. I am going to talk to them about how early the kittens could be safely spayed/ neutered.

I would gladly keep them until they were old enough to ensure they were fixed before going to new homes. I can do the basic kitty shots myself if I have to. I am working on a limited budget here!!

Feeding all these cats will be expensive if they eat like Silo and Barn Kitty!

6 Likes

A lot of rescues and humane societies will spay/neuter at 8 weeks. My vet prefers to wait until they are 5lbs. I personally think it’s a lot for them to go through at such a young age, but a friend fostered for the local HS, and she had kittens done at 8 weeks, and they seemed to be just fine . . . my guess is that’s what they’ll tell you, anyway! :slight_smile:

Maybe the clinic will do the shots as well?

3 Likes

There was another kitten post where one kitten had quite a reaction to anaesthesia but was ok in the end.

3 Likes

The price of gasoline can make long trips untenable right now. As @2DogsFarm said, that’s a road trip.

Hopefully someone local will take them. Having them already spayed/neutered should help to find them responsible homes. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see them as they grow and learn to scurry around and play. BK is a good mommy but enough is enough.

Little Silo is quite handsome.

1 Like

I will update with weekly pictures because my mom has demanded them :heart_eyes:

Yes, I agree we have had enough kittens!

@Alex_and_Bodie_s_Mom the clinic does shots too I believe but I will have to see if it is cheaper for me to do so.

Funny thing happened. On Sunday morning I reached in to get a kitten and BK hunkered down but didn’t hiss or swat or growl. I calmly and quietly handled everyone and she just looked at me with huge eyes.

I reached out and stroked her and she didn’t seem to be bothered. I crawled over to do the litter ( enclosure isn’t tall enough for me to stand up easily) and here she comes and I figured she would attack me.

She started rubbing on me!! I stroked her and she purred, drooled and rubbed her face all over my hand and just gazed into my eyes. To say I was floored is putting it mildly.

Silo watched the whole thing and it was the same this morning. She was someones kitten for sure. She is the smallest cat I have ever seen and I figure she must have been on her own at a very early age.

Anyways this makes things easier. I got Silo a toy on a stick so I can entice him by play. I could just grab him but I want him to be calm and happy about it.

19 Likes

Great news. Hopefully she will stay friendly.

1 Like

That’s excellent news! There’s no better feeling than the moment a stray feral decides you’re okay. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

How wonderful! I’m glad she has decided you are not so bad after all! They certainly landed in the right place.

4 Likes

She will still claw and bite me unless I pet her non stop. She seems to dislike the litter scoop and water bucket I bring in to the pen and it gets her dander up and then she wants to go after me. I need 3 hands!

2 Likes

I week updated kitten pictures !

Their eyes opened on Tuesday and they are getting more active. Little Calliby was actually outside the cage but managed to crawl back in yesterday.

Silo has an appt to be neutered on July 5th.

23 Likes

They look like nice fat healthy little ones. I love the liitle pink feet!

4 Likes

Squee!!! Tiny cuteness! :two_hearts:

1 Like

They are huge! What is the mom cat producing? Miracle Grow?

So cute, love the tiny toes!

3 Likes

They are ?? Barn Kitty is so small, I guess due to her feral cat status before finding me I was worried they were small!

She eats good( kitten food) and has gobs of milk for her babies. I feel lucky!

@shiloh their little bellies are full to bursting every time I pick them up :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

And I bet their little tummies smell good, too. Nothing like new baby kitten smell unless it’s baby horse smell.

4 Likes

:rofl:

2 Likes

Awww … precious babies! Thank you for sharing them with us.

1 Like