Unlimited access >

Restoring old Barn

Hi. I am currently rebuilding my 120 year old Barn. I’m now at the Electrical stage and the inspector came and advised me that I cannot use the 12 fans, entrance Chandler
, light switches ,plug receivers and all wiring etc. I have everything bought and paid for. They tell me that all livestock Barns are now a category 1( water risk) 2 (Vapor). One plug receiver that cost $3 is now $200 each and the wiring is also so expensive.
Has anyone any experience in this apparent new code? I can see the full time barns with Pigs Cows etc inside 24/7 in the winter and the muck, vapor, water etc maybe corroding the electrical , but not a show barn that’s cleaned ever day and 25 ft ceilings.
I’ve been told that an equestrian barn that is not a breeding facility is except, but I can’t find anything on the net saying so.
Any advice would be very appreciated.
George

What state are you in? Agricultural buildings have different codes, but are state specific.

4 Likes

Your electrical inspector is correct. I have been visiting a bunch of electrical forums, reading pertinent parts of the National Electrical Code, and talking with my master electrician about barn wiring. This is related to an upgrade I am planning for my own barn.

The latest NEC defined manure presence as creating a corrosive vapor environment. The Code is absolute; it does not differentiate between a barn with a groom with shovel on site performing immediate mucking and a barn that is mucked out once a week. Noncompliance with the NEC brings up barn insurance issues as well.

You have opened a can of worms, as there are likely dozens of opinions on this just among master electricians. On forums many disagree with parts of the NEC. Discussions on Code issues can go on for weeks and months. Your electrical inspector seems a strict Code guy, to your financial detriment.

1 Like

Read about the case of Ron Samsel in Pennsylvania
https://www.eastcoastequestrian.net/news2012/march/Ron-Samsel-Won-the-Battle-But-is-Losing-His-Dream.php

Ron Samsel emerged from a Philadelphia courtroom victorious. He had fought the good fight. He had won. And in his victory, he had helped establish a precedent for horse farm owners across Pennsylvania.

Samsel had built a horse farm on the 46-acre tract he had purchased. The Township Supervisors said that the horse farm did not qualify as an agricultural enterprise and that Samsel should have sought building permits before erecting the barn and other structures on the property. Samsel and his attorney, Larry Miller, argued that the farm qualified for Pennsylvania’s exemption for agricultural construction, which meant building permits were not required.

After losing his case at the county’s Unified Construction Code Board of Appeals, Samsel appealed to Berks County Court and won. The Township didn’t back down, but filed the case again in the same jurisdiction. They lost again. In October 2010 Jefferson Township took their case against Samsel to Commonwealth Court, which ultimately ruled in Samsel’s favor.

And the Millers

https://www.law.com/thelegalintelligencer/almID/1202636010031/

And the case in Newlin Township

1 Like

That is an interesting case. But it looks as though the OP has already obtained a building permit, or there would not be a visit from an electrical inspector.

I wonder if it is possible to simply ask that the permit be voided, and renovate the barn any way he wants?

1 Like

Depends on what state you are in, but our electrician advised us to install vapor tight/water tight everything so we could power wash safely and clean due to any health hazards and disease control.

It’s not needed until it’s needed.

2 Likes

FYI. The National Electrical Code is revised every three years. The latest version is September, 2023.

The code book is 948 pages in length and cost is $153.00.

You can jump through some very minor hoops and be able to read the Code for free at the National Fire Protection Association web site (nfpa.org). You can only read; functions such as copy and print are disabled.

2 Likes

well this question was asked here twenty years ago and the answer then is much like that of today

Barn Wiring and Lighting Advice

1 Like

we have enclosed boxes and conduit covered wiring in our renovated barn. Also, have a dedicated 220 box JUST for the barn. I plug-in some things…like water tank heater in the winter. The Big Ass fans are conduit wired in. Though i will probably roll a big plug in barrel fan into the breezeway this summer.

Check that the roll-out fan has a sealed motor. I have had three roll-out fans, NONE had sealed motors! Similar to those sold at TSC. Once I learned about the need for sealed motors in barn situations, I quit using the roll-out models. Selling them off now.

Dust and dirt get into the holes of unsealed motors. Dust is flammable, motors get hot, to possibly cause fires. Farm-Tec sells a variety of sealed motor fans for use in various applications, farm, nursery, where conditions are harsh.

Just saying this in case you have not yet already gotten the roll-out fan.

3 Likes