Return to riding post-concussion?

Old thread that was bumped, but I guess I can update with what I recall:

I think I waited 2 weeks before getting on a horse at all, and it was just flatting on a school pony. Returned to jumping slowly on schoolies. I only had one collegiate show left for the year, and chose not to jump at it. There was no following of the EC “Return to Play” protocol by the OCEA, which isn’t surprising to me - they’re not the most safety-conscious organization. I mostly followed Dr’s orders for recovery, although I had to return to class sooner than he recommended.

Cabaret SK, please PM me with details, so I can follow with OCEA. Thank you.

Will also add 2 things:
If you have a concussion see a sports med provider. They are the ones that really know about getting “return to play” after concussions. I suppose neurology would also be a good choice :wink:
Never think of a concussion as “mild.” I had several concussions and thought that the only one that was severe was the one when I was knocked out. Most of the other ones involved amnesia and I totally under-estimated the severity of those. I always went for eval after and the idea of return to play and post-concussion care was very different back then. I’m paying for it now, all these years later with epilepsy.

1 Like