Unlimited access >

Riders in Ontario, Canada: Riding through the worst of COVID?

Can we ride and should we ride are two different questions. The government is clear that we can - the updated document today still includes the language about owners being permitted to attend, care for, and ride their animals - equally clear that group lessons, camps, clinics, shows, etc are prohibited.

Whether we should depends entirely on each horse’s physical, mental and medical needs, their boarding situation, and the incidence of cases / capacity in hospitals in your area.

In the spring where we knew so little about transmission, the government hadn’t clarified if owners could access boarded horses, and our governing bodies were strongly advising that boarders not be allowed on property unless they were providing essential care, I FIRMLY believed that owners should not be visiting their horses if the barn they boarded at provided adequate care and exercise.

This time around, knowing that nobody is violating any restrictions by visiting or even riding their horses, I think everyone should make their own decision and not get concerned when someone else makes a different one.

And for those who do go to the barn from time to time, I think it’s probably helpful to not only take all precautions while there, but try to avoid interactions with others on the way there and back too - drive thru coffee, just running into the grocery store to grab one item, etc. If we can all eliminate several interactions per day, surely that helps? I don’t know, maybe just wishful thinking.

2 Likes

BC seems to be bending the curve again. Total active COVID 19 cases have been falling since December, and the daily rate of new cases is dropping a bit.

What’s been clear here is that transmission events tend to be socializing including family events and young folks partying. Also workplace transmission and especially seniors homes.

Apparently there is not a lot of transmission from staff to customers in retail or restaurants, in properly managed sports, and surprisingly in schools.

Cases have been low enough all along that the province has been able to do contact tracing and has a pretty good idea of what the transmission chains are. So that will eventually provide good data.

If you are wearing a mask and doing basic social distancing there doesn’t seem to be much transmission risk in take out coffee or grocery shopping.

2 Likes

I am riding regularly again. I was quite ill last Jan/Feb. May have been Covid except I didn’t know about it then. After the illness I had so much body pain, (mainly muscle, quads, ham strings, glutes and lower back, I could barely get on my horse. Fortunately he stands well at the mounting block.

I had to ride in 2 pt as I could not sit back in the saddle. Even once I sat I had to lean forward. I lasted about 20 minutes in excruciating pain. Getting off was another story. I had to hang on to the saddle for a while before I could put my feet on the ground.

I was devastated as I am isolated on my farm. Only one boarder who doesn’t come very often. I was getting depressed and gaining weight as I could no longer go to my exercise classes and was determined to find a way to be able to ride. Had my old trainer back who pretty well said forget it.

Finally bit the bullet and started CBD oi. It worked. Though I still have some discomfort I no longer have the horrible pain. My horse is much happier also. I realized that because of the pain I was clamped on his body rigid giving very abrupt aids.

Through this journey my horse and I have learned a lot. I now appreciate him a lot more and am more patient with him. He is not a workaholic but if I allow him to dictate our slow warm up he lets me know when he is ready to work. Whereas before I always nagged him to move on which put both of us in a bad mood.

As far as fear of ending up in hospital I no longer think about it. I have check in each morning via Facebook to notify that I am still alive. Because of my isolated location it could take days for anyone to notice. My worry is just for the critters, horses, cats and dog.

Sorry for the novel, blame Covid isolation.

2 Likes

We are at week 7 here in Alberta with no lessons allowed. But you can now get a tattoo? I don’t get it. I am allowed to “supervise” though, so once the weather warms up enough that people are back out riding I am going to start supervising rides a few times a week to see what people are struggling with/what bad habits people may be starting to develop so I can create exercise for them to work on. (I have been posting weekly ideas/exercises for them, but it is hard to stay relevant after 6 weeks of not seeing them ride) I am not sure why “supervising” (unpaid) is safer than a lesson (paid).

1 Like

If I had my own rideable horse, I’d probably be riding. As a part-boarder, I don’t feel right being out at the barn (not to mention it’s a HUGE facility with boarders and part-boarders from all over the GTA … some commute into Toronto and back).

I just can’t get over the shared surfaces, and door handles I’d need to touch (and using the pen on the sign in/out sheet) just to get into the arena and into my locker to access my equipment.