Unlimited access >

Riding after cataract surgery

I’m so sorry to hear of your complications following your cataract surgery. Both scary and frustrating. I’m glad the follow up laser surgery was able to significantly fix the problem in your left eye. Wishing you much success with your right eye as well.

I, expecting to wear reading glasses after the left eye is done. I’ll just keep pairs everywhere, including the barn!

I did not have general anesthesia for my surgery. They said they wanted me to be awake. But I didn’t feel a thing, thank goodness. Husband brought me there and home . I’m surprised you didn’t get any post op instructions regarding lifting, strenuous exercise , etc. I thought that was pretty standard.

KBC. Yes, got lots of drops the day of surgery! Glad you got your eyes done before COVID. That would have been a long wait! Yes, I am sure it must be fabulous to not have to worry about glasses steaming up anymore! So you didn’t get any IV or local anesthesia ( like numbing eye drops). Wow!

I am going to wear wrap around sunglasses to the barn when I go this week. I have the same concerns about dust and dirt. And take it easy riding too. Of course as soon as it’s absolutely safe to ride again, I’ll be ready for my second cataract surgery. But at least I’ll start 2022 with new eyes!

1 Like

That must have been so hard to handle the eye drops without the use of your right hand. Kudos to you! And your poor mom! Not sure what kind of reading glasses I’ll get after both surges are done. But thank you for all the great information about Medicare and costs.

Oh yes, got numbing eye drops, administered by the surgeon, not that backwards!

1 Like

I didn’t have to use any drops. They put some in before the procedure and to dilate the pupil in the follow up visit. That was it. I had an IV because I wanted a sedative. I’ve had a paradoxical response to some medications (e.g. wide awake with Ambien). My one complaint was about the organization. It took several conversations with several tech staff who didn’t know about meds. I finally talked to an RN a couple of days before the procedure. I wanted Versed (midazolam, a benzodiazepine) because I had it years ago without problems. That is what they commonly use.

I have the impression that this type of surgery resembles an assembly-line. Everyone looks the same. The surgeon was very good. Several of the techs who work directly with patients didn’t pick up on details in my history. That make me different from you and both of us from everybody else. I kept after them until I got answers.

I forgot about my feet. Apparently I am always moving, which was confirmed by a riding instructor. I’m not aware of it. Just before they were ready to start the first eye someone said my feet were moving and they had to immobilize them. That’s news to me. I felt them put a cushion under my feet. I learned later that they tied them down by wrapping a sheet around them and under the table.