Unlimited access >

Riding schedules at h/j barns?

I think I would have a conversation before I packed my crap and left, personally.

There’s a lot of leeway between “can we not have a bunch of people randomly hacking in the ring during lessons” and “you may never ride your horse except during a lesson.” I think I’d search for that leeway if other things are to your satisfaction.

I rode in my dressage lesson yesterday in our smallish indoor with three other riders, one of whom was having issues with a difficult horse, and a person lunging. I understand how it happened as everyone including trainers were trying to get done and out of there by lunchtime, but I’d be pretty damned unhappy if that were happening all the time.

As it was, we are all friends and all acknowledged that this was an unusual event and an opportunity to get some warmup ring practice in, but none of us had really productive rides.

8 Likes

When I’ve seen or heard of this in the past, it seems to have stemmed from control issues, concerns about liability, or BO wanting people not wanting someone on the property at all hours. I think the best thing you can do is have an open and honest conversations with the BM (do they own the property? are they the trainer?) If they are not the trainer, have your trainer facilitate the conversation. If they are the BM, I would share how important it is to you and give reasons why. I’ve been in programs where I was one of the few clients who hacked or my work hours were such that I rode when clients and/or trainer had already left–how I navigated it was demonstrating I was a competent rider, would follow the rules (no jumping etc.), and made sure to leave everything as neat as it was when I arrived if not cleaner. If they continue to push back, then I would honestly reevaluate staying there, but I’m someone who places a high priority in being able to hack outside of lessons & myself ride as much as possible.

I agree. My barn has a single trainer and all lessons are private which means there’s usually only one horse jumping at a time. Because of this, people are welcome to hack in the ring during lessons with the understanding that the lesson takes precedence—e.g., hack at the other end of the ring if they’re working on something specific or hack during walk breaks if they’re coursing. I’m the only one at the moment with a horse who gets lunged regularly so I just try to time my sessions with him to times when no one else is in the ring. As long as folks are respectful, which they are, no one (trainer included) cares when you want to ride.

3 Likes

It’s just not who she is - she’s a spicy, sensitive jumper. I did successfully walk out around the property once this summer, but I also had a few weeks where it was 50/50 that I would get back up the hill from the arena without a leap and scoot across the lawn. I enjoy her plenty, and didn’t buy her to trail ride, and it isn’t something that a few pro rides is going to change. C’est la vie.

2 Likes

I honestly do not believe that any sane healthy broke horse cannot be ridden outside of an arena with a little work. How will you cope at big venues with lots of open space between arenas? Obviously you start with hand walking and ground work.

11 Likes

Here’s how:

“Hi BM, when are some times that work for the ring/barn schedule that I can come ride Dobbin on non lesson days?”

Ta da.

12 Likes

Ehhh… I get it from their perspective. Some parameters in place make it easier to get everything done and with supervision. People are super litigious these days and even with every release form, I’d still be afraid of the consequences if something happened outside of their watch.
You may not believe that you need it, but fall off at a barn all by yourself with no one around, or with a language barrier where calling 911 would be a problem, and you may reconsider it. You have to respect their need to ensure the safety of everyone and not cater to a select few with unique needs. I’ve ridden at barns that had the alternative… the “just show up and ride”… doesn’t matter if we’re here or if anyone is around approach… and I’ve always wondered what would happen if a freak accident were to occur. Even the best horses are unpredictable and it’s just not my cup of tea to be solo and potentially on the ground alone for hours before someone finds me.
They may have also had a liability issue at some point or had someone that just abused hours (like rode up the 8:59pm if they barn hours were 9am-9pm for example… and then didn’t get out of the barn for another hour). It’s not great for the horses to rest and settle in for the night, and it’s even worse for the people that need to be up at 6am to feed the next day.
As others have mentioned, I’d request that you have the ability to ride 5-6x per week… and that you’d like 2 pro rides, 2 lessons (one can be flat and poles if you feel like horse is being jumped in pro rides and doesn’t need that intensive of a program), and that you’d like to set up times where you can hack the other 2 days where it’s either a flat lesson or downtime where you won’t be in the way. If they can’t accommodate at least 1 hack day, then perhaps you’ve signed on to the wrong program and it might not be a fit for both sides.

1 Like

I appreciate that. Hacking out is something I do plan to work on this summer. We made progress this past summer, but it’s honestly not at the top of my priority list. That said, my horse is sane, healthy and broke for her job. Previous pro who had her for sale was able to hack out just fine with her, and rode outside the arena plenty. But she’s a pro with nerves of steel, and I am an ammy who doesn’t particularly enjoy theatrics outside of the ring… even though I know I have the skill set to handle them.

12 Likes

Yep.

I have a rule with my SO where if I’m going riding and the BO isn’t there, to call me after 30 min. If I don’t answer, call the BO then an EMT.

I’ve thought about using the apple watch fall precaution but have read its overly sensitive.

3 Likes

I use Apple Watch fall protection and don’t find it overly sensitive. Haven’t set it off yet, flatting or jumping. I don’t often ride when others aren’t around, but I also let a friend or family member know when I get on and off.

3 Likes

FWIW, the issue of riding alone wasn’t the main issue of the post. At a busy training barn, usually someone is around if the worst should happen, not to sound grim.

But even riding alone at a barn IMHO has a lower risk than a trail ride in the wilds, alone, because if “God forbid” happens, you’re more likely to be able to get help soon. It sounds like the OP’s issue is more one of too many people around when she’s trying to get some hacking in and being made to feel uncomfortable to flat her horse for, say, 20 minutes. I agree with addressing it with the barn owner, but it sounds like, from her description, there is a chance that “sure, ride around the lesson but defer to the needs of the trainer” may have the subtext of “we’d rather you not.”

For example, if you’re getting “parked” to the center of the ring because the lessons need the space, or told to do your hacking in a 15 meter circle, or only between 2-3pm on weekdays or whatever, that’s still sending a message about the culture of expectations, even if the official policy says something different.

5 Likes

Honestly I feel safer on the trails than in a crowded arena with other horses who are there in part because they arent safe to ride on trails, and tend to throw their riders and cavort. True back country out of cell phone reach is of course a whole other risk level.

3 Likes

Maybe I missed it. Is this a situation where the barn staff tacks up and puts away the horses? If so, maybe they prefer the staff to concentrate on tacking up and putting away horses for the trainers on a set schedule rather than customers who are showing up to ride at random times outside of lessons.

Regardless, a direct question to clear up any confusion seems perfectly reasonable to me. If you’re paying to use the facility, you should get to use the facility. Full stop.

Maybe not at midnight, but certainly within a reasonable time frame.

2 Likes

This is apparently a YMMV situation. Mine is overly sensitive. I’ve set it off doing yard work, whacking a misbehaving horse, and even once or twice moving my arm fast. Yet when I tripped over the corner of a stall mat randomly sticking out of the ground :woman_facepalming:t3: and legitimately fell, landing primarily on the hand wearing the watch… nada.

1 Like

We have 45 horses currently. Full service, regular service, and a small riding school
In order to maintain safe conditions, and my sanity, these are the rules:

Hours are set and in the Posted Barn Rues. Rules are posted in all the aisles and both tack rooms. You cannot arrive after the time posted. If you have to stay to take care of your horse, that’s one thing. But you can’t show up late
Lessons get the right of way. More specifically, lessons for boarders get the first right, then school lessons.
Jumping horses get the right of way
Cantering horses get the right of way
No walking on the rail unless everyone is
Everybody goes the same direction on the flat
No jumping unless you’re in a lesson, even if you are trail riding on our property, you cannot jump
It may sound somewhat restrictive, but things happen. And even though you have to sign releases to both me and the farm, people can try to sue. Hasn’t happened here yet, knock wood, but I know of a few cases where it has.

1 Like

Nope. Have to disagree. Plenty of perfectly normal adults do not just decide to go ride by themselves with no one else around. That’s fine if you want to live your life that way, but honestly, it’s just not safe and after watching more than one person knocked unconscious riding and knowing several with life-changing/life-altering falls, I’d prefer to have someone around to call for help.

4 Likes

If one’s work schedule absolutely demands that they ride without any company, I guess that is one thing, but otherwise this approach sounds ridiculous to a person whose worst falls have involved a gentle horse tripping at the canter (2 bad concussions) as opposed to jumping a 1.20 course, schooling a hot, rearing pony, or any of the scarier things I do. In college I fell off in an outdoor ring riding alone after a horse had tripped and fallen to her knees. I was out cold with no rescue until someone noticed the horse coming back to the barn, or so I’m told. I woke up in a cat scan machine. I will never ride without a partner again. Seriously never.

2 Likes

I would argue that riding a neurological horse that trips and falls that often is much more dangerous than jumping a 1.2m course. And demonstrates worse judgement than riding my own known horse alone sometimes with a scheduled check in time with a responsible adult.

1 Like

Fair enough, though, I will add (edit) that non “neurological” horses can certainly trip and the second horse who I still show, hasn’t done that again (2 years have passed). In any case, I honestly think it is a safety risk and if it can be avoided, should be avoided. Why not? You’re entitled to your own opinion of course!

2 Likes

Sadly I know coaches that this is EXACTLY their program. Jump EVERY.SINGLE.TIME someone is on the horse.