Unlimited access >

Riding the young horse and rider fitness

Not everyone is meant to train babies. Unless you have a “feel” for it and alot of experience schooling different horses it probably isn’t a great idea - particularly if you lack confidence. Confidence can be a fleeting thing for all of us in horses - so even those of us who have vast
experience with babies can lose it from a fall or bad experience. The babies REALLY need a confident rider who has patience and can feel their response. It is also important to understand each one and where they are and how much they can do and stay within those parameters. Less is more as they progress it can increase. Most riders inexperienced with babies don’t understand how to keep it short and simple and get into problems asking for too much. Some people get joy from those tiny steps forward and the light bulb going on for a relatively simple task - others are bored with it. Figure out who you are and what you can do in a positive way.

7 Likes

I found that balance and “feel” was more beneficial then strength when riding the young ones.

4 Likes

I’ve got a 4yo I broke in myself in March, and I’ve been finding the biggest key to keeping her balanced is focusing on me, and my riding over her. I’m terrible with my outside rein, something my old mare has always let me get away with. Fix the outside rein and suddenly the baby is substantially less wobbly. I had one ride where I got so frustrated with myself because I felt all over the place, then realised that was because I’d forgotten to actually pay attention to me. Next ride all I focused on was nailing my aids…the difference in the horse was amazing.

I keep the rides pretty short and try not to overdrill anything…ie we’ll do a little bit of working towards a leg yield, she takes one or two steps sideways and great, that’s that done for the day. I don’t trot her round and round in circles, I try to use the whole arena, vary the patterns ie a 20m circle, change across the diagonal, serpentine, a whole lap on the outside etc. Most of our rides are probably 20mins max once we’re warmed up.

Of course said baby has since stomped on and broken my foot…