Unlimited access >

Riding without goals?

You could have training goals without showing goals. Especially in dressage :slight_smile:

5 Likes

For eventers, getting outside on varied terrain and at different speeds would be invaluable. Also, time to build fitness and stamina.

I’m disagreeing with this whole “arena riding is boring” sentiment. There are so many ways to challenge yourself and the horse to build skills/strength. Not sure this really helps the OP, unless she’s a technician at heart like me, but I love tricky exercises on the flat – poles, serpentines, spirals, lateral work, dropped stirrups, it’s truly endless. There are even some good books out there with ideas. To me, these exercises are very rewarding when accomplished correctly.

OP, are you taking any lessons on these nice horses you’re riding? Even if they are only flat lessons, I’ll bet it’d be more fun than endlessly puttering in circles. The trainer could challenge you.

5 Likes

I find trail riding “boring” if the horse is calm, or exciting in a bad way if the horse is too nervous! Perhaps some of that is boarding where the trails were mostly winding rocky paths through the woods that greatly limited gait choice. I would trail ride for relaxation on a reasonably calm horse and because I wanted to get them out, but not so much for my enjoyment. While I got my own nervous horse accustomed to trails, I had no desire to do that later in life on other people’s horses when I was horseless.

I had been out of the saddle for over 6 years and was retirement age when my old horse died. My BO from my former riding stable (horse had gone to a retirement farm) offered to let me ride an older TB to get back into riding. It took a while as balance and muscle memory to not return quickly at that age! So at first, I rode with the goal of improving my balance, seat, etc. Once I was fairly competent, my dressage training kicked in and it started to bother me that the horse was strung out and unbalanced. So I happily worked on his balance and strength. It was very rewarding to see his progress and I was not bored.

3 Likes

I have to say, after riding in the Cascade mountains for a number of years, I have seen some amazing views and realized how lucky I am that I am able to experience something that most people will never see in their lifetime.

2 Likes

I haven’t had any showing goals for years :slight_smile: but whenever I get on a horse, my goal is for the horse to understand what I am asking, for me to help him/her get there and for us to be on the same page. That in itself is not always evident lol!
I was “horse-raised” with the concept of “You train the horse every time you ride”. So, I am never bored. I am a cross trainer/eventer at heart, but even if stuck in the arena, I can have fun.

If you need goals / ideas- the books 101 Dressage exercises and 101 jumping exercises are great.
When trail riding, I find challenges too. Go over a ditch. Meander through the woods, over logs, etc. Go by a paddock with frisky horses in it. Trot uphill. Canter downhill. Etc. etc.

2 Likes

Thanks again everyone, for some great things to think about.

I personally love arena riding and training; trails are boring to me, haha. But I get bored in the arena too, without a goal to train for. Taking lessons is an excellent idea if I can find it in the budget! Thanks for that suggestion. :slight_smile:

I don’t disagree that there are plenty of things you can do in an arena but for some of us it is still not our cup of tea no matter what you are doing in there.

Lessons would fit that as well and then add you are paying someone to be bored.

Nothing compares to just getting out and riding but that is just me.

@MsM Thankfully my trail riding includes big fields where we can do much more than walk!

1 Like

Ok. I would ask- is there anything specific to work on? Are you (OP) good enough in dressage if transitions need help (hey- maybe your transitions need work). Endurance fitness rides/trot sets/canter sets etc.

So- try a free RIDEIQ lesson. Some people find them very helpful. and you can look up what you want to work on.

My basic goal is always to keep the horse healthy and sound so we do a lot of fundamentals based on how the horse feels that day. Stiff, work on bending lines and circles to loosen him up. Lazy, work on forward and back getting him to use his hind end. Heavy, work on transitions. If everything feels good after the warm up, then we may actually ride some dressage movements.

I’m not planning any shows anytime soon, but if I can keep him sound and happy, we’ll do a century ride together eventually.

1 Like

I am struggling too. Perhaps from a slightly different angle, I hesitate to make goals because I am not sure what my new horse will be capable of. Apparently not trained as much as led to believe, too icy, too mucky, not quite enough time to haul to an arena, then swollen eye issues.
So its my horse I am riding but I haven’t been able to average one ride a week. Not much progress will be made at this rate. I am finding it is getting difficult to keep pushing.

1 Like

Colorfan, the last year was like that for me. One step forward, two steps back. New horse, injuries and illnesses to both of us. I was ready to hang it up, to be honest.

But we’ve done a reset, started over and things are moving in a positive direction. Don’t give up hope!

2 Likes