Unlimited access >

RIO: Would you....

[QUOTE=stanza;8735183]
I would ask, if they knew theoretically, there was a virus that was known to be dangerous to horses in Brazil and there was no vaccine for horses, and the disease could cause birth defects and other neurological conditions and spread to all parts of the globe, would the still choose to go?[/QUOTE]

I have a gelding so guessing he wouldn’t care as long as there were cookies involved.

[QUOTE=stanza;8735183]
I would ask, if they knew theoretically, there was a virus that was known to be dangerous to horses in Brazil and there was no vaccine for horses, and the disease could cause birth defects and other neurological conditions and spread to all parts of the globe, would the still choose to go?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think this question is “theoretical” at all. Brazil is a tropical country with all manner of tropical diseases. I suspect there’s one out there that afflicts horses and does what you suggest. If it were to “flare” would that make a difference? Yes, it might. But then, again, maybe it wouldn’t. A lot would depend on circumstances.

G.

I mean vaccines for other diseases that are in the region. I know there isn’t any current vaccine for Zika.

I didn’t make myself clear. I’m not talking about horses, I’m talking about humans. Having people from all over the globe going to a place where there is a danger of not only contracting but then going back home and spreading the Zika disease, which has no vaccine, is, what I consider the more important question.

[QUOTE=stanza;8735183]

Are you referring to zika theoretically jumping species, or to glanders? The glanders question would be what would have me asking questions before letting the horse go.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/36220/glanders-detected-at-2016-olympic-equestrian-facilities

Merck Manual reports a 1-2 month survival period in the environment. So if the Brazilians truly kept that stable horse-free for several months before the games, the onsite risk should be low. In transit from the airport? I’d be asking questions before deciding.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/generalized_conditions/glanders/overview_of_glanders.html

Zika, I’ve already had it, and done ‘mosquito quarantine’ on my return to the US (returned to VA at the start of 6 months of fall/winter ‘transmitting skeeter free season’), so I myself wouldn’t be as worried about that.

[QUOTE=Guilherme;8735167]
Anyplace can be dangerous, including Chicago and LA. Or even Orlando.

G.[/QUOTE]

As bad as Chicago and LA, or Orlando are, or rather, how targeted they are because of crime and the general breakdown of society in many US cities, that pales by comparision as to what is happening in Brazil. The president has been overthrown by a banking gangsters, massive austerity has been imposed, and there is no security. The police are not being paid, has anyone been paying attention to anything that is going on there?

BTW, George Morris wrote in his biography about buying a horse in South America that had Piroplasmosis, they lost about $100,000 on the horse and had to send him back because of it.

Everyone who knew Cloudy in his salad years said Cloudy should have gone to the 2008 Olympics. I could not afford to have him campaigned for that but would have sent him if I could have had him campaigned. Of Course that would presume he qualified. But assuming he qualified for Rio, no, I’d not send the old dude. First there is the mosquito virus, which could harm horses since it harms humans. Then the pollution, yuck, suppose Cloudy and Hattie went to the beach to have Hattie do a video for the “Mare from Ipanema?” Splashing in the untreated human feces? No way!

Think of the swimmers who will have to swim in human feces! And be bitten by skeeters that can harm you and your foals!

[QUOTE=keysfins;8734633]
Hypothetical scenario: you own a horse that might qualify, or has qualified, to compete at the Olympics in Rio. Would you let the horse compete, or decline and keep horse home? What factors influence your decision. Please discuss.

I’ll go first. The general public is hearing a lot about the Zika virus threat, water quality and personal safety. My trainer reminded me that there are worse things for horses, such as risk of contracting/carrying Piroplasmosis, and other nasty diseases that we (in North America, anyway) don’t necessarily have on our radar. Is the risk of bringing Piroplasmosis, etc., back home worth the prestige of the Olympic competition?

That’s just one factor that I would consider if I had a horse to send. I don’t know the details of how the horses will be managed to prevent any illness or transmission of other novel bugs back to their home countries. How has this been handled in other countries?

ETA: NOT focusing entirely on illness/disease. What other factors would you consider in making your decision?

If you decided NOT to send your Olympic level horse, would you say why? Or would horse have a minor injury/not quite peaking in its training/other reason for not traveling to Rio?[/QUOTE]

Equestrian sports have their own “supreme” competitions–the World Championships or WEG, Grand Prix jumping with important prize money, the big multi-starred Three-Days, the list goes on.

At this point our sports really don’t even need the Olympics.

Given what I’ve been reading about expected conditions in Rio, I would not want to put my PEOPLE in potential harm’s way from probable lack of security, sanitation, safe food supplies and endemic diseases. Ditto for a horse of very considerable monetary, and no doubt, sentimental value who is at the very top of his game. There are many places he can be better used.

It’s a really interesting question and I would love to know how the actual owners of horses slated to go are making their decisions. These horses are not family “pets” and I assume are investment or business ventures so it may be easier to weigh the risk vs. reward without emotional attachments. If an equine insurance policy covers travels to Rio, some might hedge their bets and attend. The issues that give me the most concern are disease, water quality and the fact that you cannot bring your own hay. As a risk averse person there is no way I could justify this trip, particularly when others have mentioned our sport has its own prestigious championships.

[QUOTE=Lady Eboshi;8735820]
Equestrian sports have their own “supreme” competitions–the World Championships or WEG, Grand Prix jumping with important prize money, the big multi-starred Three-Days, the list goes on.

At this point our sports really don’t even need the Olympics.

Given what I’ve been reading about expected conditions in Rio, I would not want to put my PEOPLE in potential harm’s way from probable lack of security, sanitation, safe food supplies and endemic diseases. Ditto for a horse of very considerable monetary, and no doubt, sentimental value who is at the very top of his game. There are many places he can be better used.[/QUOTE]

Nothing replaces the Olympics, sorry. Maybe as a spectator you feel that way but please believe me when I say riders at this level absolutely don’t share your sentiment at all.

[QUOTE=HorsesinHaiti;8735692]
Are you referring to zika theoretically jumping species, or to glanders? The glanders question would be what would have me asking questions before letting the horse go.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/36220/glanders-detected-at-2016-olympic-equestrian-facilities

Merck Manual reports a 1-2 month survival period in the environment. So if the Brazilians truly kept that stable horse-free for several months before the games, the onsite risk should be low. In transit from the airport? I’d be asking questions before deciding.
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/generalized_conditions/glanders/overview_of_glanders.html

Zika, I’ve already had it, and done ‘mosquito quarantine’ on my return to the US (returned to VA at the start of 6 months of fall/winter ‘transmitting skeeter free season’), so I myself wouldn’t be as worried about that.[/QUOTE]

Rodrigo Pessoa was actually interviewed at length re the quarantine/glanders/transport issue, maybe in May?? he explains exactly how the quarantine of the facility and shipping from the airport to the stables works. Because they do it annually for dodas show. Without those measures horses would be unable to easily leave Brazil after the games. Our Brazilian horses had to be sent to Uruguay for quarantine for three months before shipping to Europe specifically because of the glanders issue.

Brazil is certainly not alone in these issues. I am sure most of you recall that piro positive horses who came for 2010 weg in Kentucky were quarantined throughout the show in their own separate facilities.

Eta quarantine of things like piro does not happen at all at fei shows in Europe. I don’t know about at usef shows since the only well known horse I can make who has piro is redwine and I don’t know if he or other positive horses are assigned special stabling when showing.

[QUOTE=FitToBeTied;8734740]
RIO is essentially a third world country and I wouldn’t trust anyone in an official capacity related to the Olympics. Me and my horse would stay home.[/QUOTE]
Rio isn’t a country

At the Atlanta Olympics there was a specific barn set up for horses with “quarantine” issues and it was used by at least one horse. Our former farrier was the “on call” for that barn. He doesn’t do our horses anymore because we were “too easy” and his practice is now very high end horses with problems. And being the only non-DVM adjunct faculty member at the local vet school! :slight_smile:

Tropical countries will ALWAYS have problems with “summer” games. Doing them in the Southern Hemisphere where it’s winter and the problem are lessened is actually a good strategy.

G.

I was on the fence or in favor of going for those that want to (unless they are pregnant or trying)until that lab that has been handing the pre games testing and was to be doing it for the Olympics got shut down a few weeks ago for, basically, sloppy work and incompetence and bet there’s a big dose of corruption and maybe outside influence over results in that mess. Now, not so sure everything they claim they have been doing was done with the water and environment they will compete in.

IIRC, Athens rounded up and disposed of the hoards of stray, starving dogs and cats anybody who has ever been there will recall being amazed at so Olympic guests would not see them (they are back, BTW). Wonder what Rio will do with the hoards of stray, starving children and obvious signs of humans wallowing in wretched poverty just a few blocks from luxury hotels to avoid offending well heeled guests spending thousands to view sporting events? Or curtail totally uncontrolled drug based organized crime looking at a very lucrative opportunity?

Guess I’m getting old and cranky but starting to question the point of what used to be sporting events but is now a corporate marketing bonanza, possibly at the expense of the athletes, that over extends most hosting city’s budgets for a decade. That opinion coming from a conservative too.

Off soapbox.

Agree with findeight! Build up huge complexes that then sit empty for decades. A lot better uses for the $$$ then that.

My concern would be the facilities and footing. Are they using existing or building new?

I lied, it was November, but this should help answer some questions about transport and facilities.

http://www.noellefloyd.com/all-clear-for-rio-2016-rodrigo-pessoa-talks-transport-issues-team-brazils-olympic-strategy-for-success/

China is not a real comparison since the horses were in Hong Kong and the government simply directed all manufacturing around Bejing to shut down for the duration to deal with the absolutely awful air quality, made it plain there would be no disruptions and always operates as a quasi police state controlling who gets in and their actions. Most venues don’t operate under those kind of conditions.

I myself would not go. For humans, I see a disease threat, but also physical harm. For horses I see more of a disease threat. I have traveled to actual third world countries before, high malaraia risk places, and places that were under protests and upheaval, only to find out that things were actually much more calm then media made it seem. However, I was not as particulary concerned about getting physically harmed in those countries as I would be in Brazil. I don’t love huge venues with thousand and thousands of people to begin with (Heck I avoid the mall at CHristmas time because I just hate crowds), so that makes me wary to start, but I also don’t have a ton of faith in what Brazil can do to keep everyone safe.

I am also skeptical about what Brazil can do to keep the horses safe, but I think there are some precautions that owners and grooms can take like water filters, and what not that can definitely reduce the risk for them. For horses, I see it more of a disease risk, then actual physical harm, so I feel ike they could be better off then some of their human owners potnetially. I’d still be on the fence though! It might just not be worth it.

[QUOTE=FitToBeTied;8734740]
RIO is essentially a third world country and I wouldn’t trust anyone in an official capacity related to the Olympics. Me and my horse would stay home.[/QUOTE]

Me too. The older I get, the less I trust things or people…just did a bit of reading online and Brazilian government was supposed to build several new waste water treatment facilities prior to the games. Not done yet and likely would not be. I certainly wouldn’t go or participate if I was a swimmer or in any water sport. I would have no interest personally in attending either, and wouldn’t take my horse. Plenty of other events to compete in.