Unlimited access >

Roached Mane

If i had a fancy warmblood I guess I’d be offended but I love being an ambassador for athletic draft crosses…
I am terrified to use clippers. I did get a nice pair of scissors meant for cutting hair - they aren’t very big but they are quite sharp and that helps a lot.
My eventing coach absolutely hates the mohawk but my dressage coach I think secretly likes the bad ass look he sports, and I’ve gotten nothing but compliments at dressage shows on how he looks…in any case, pulling it is so much work and braiding it such a source of stress that I really don’t care. I’m not going back… :smile:

1 Like

I only like roached manes on a horse with a well developed neck. I think a roached mane will either add or take away from a horse… I’ve seen a couple horses with skinny necks and roached manes and found it rather unappealing… just my opinion.

1 Like

Well, I think braids look dumb since it’s not a beauty pageant for 5 yr old kids, so I think we neatly cancel each other out, lol. :wink:

1 Like

I want to roach my horse’s mane SO BADLY. We only do dressage, and I’m afraid to do it, but his neck is glorious, and his mane is SO THICK that braiding is brutal, and I rarely show anyways… The photo above is making me even more tempting. The horse looks glorious.

2 Likes

@islgrl just do it. Give it a try.

Like has been said here, if it does not end up being what you wanted it to be you just have to wait a bit and it will be all grown out. The horse will not care that it looks weird for a bit while the growing out happens.

I am betting it will be just as amazing as you hoped it would be and you will be glad that you did it!

1 Like

Maybe in the fall. I have a really important clinic in June and I’m not brave enough to have a roached mane for it. Worst case in the fall if I hate it he has all winter to grow it out. Does it grow back thicker or anything? That would be the literal WORST if it makes it thicker.

I think your plan to do it in the fall is perfect! You will have to report back with an update of how amazing it is once you do it.

People say this, but it has not been the case in my experience.

1 Like

I used to pay someone to deal with my girl’s mane but that someone is no longer interested so I need to deal with it myself. My girl is scared of clippers so scissors it is. She will look cute with a sticky uppy mane.

1 Like

Here are some pics of my guy clipped close (today) vs. trimmed with scissors (last spring) vs. pulled (when I bought him), if anyone is interested. I prefer it trimmed but I think he’s pretty sexy regardless of hairdo. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Not really. Braids look bad on a skinny, undeveloped next as well. But at least you can take them out at the end of the show.

It saved me so much time and I honestly love the way it looks :heart_eyes:

2 Likes