Unlimited access >

Rubs on side of horse

Hey, no one is saying you’re not doing what you can. It sounds like you’re trying very hard to keep him comfortable.

But sometimes, you’ve done all you can do.

1 Like

That is quite frustrating. It does sound like you’re doing it awful lot to keep this guy comfortable. I wish I had had the financial ability to do what you’re doing for my horse that I had to put down. He was also quite young at 12 when the injury occurred And it took him until he was 14 to degenerate enough for me to be okay with letting him go.

I’m really sorry you’re going through this. It really sucks and it’s really hard.

2 Likes

My 17 hand gelding can and will lay down sternum in a 12x12. He needs a 15x20 to lay flat out evidently. Something to consider

1 Like

I know every horse is different, but my 16.3 mare lays flat out in her 11x11. The poo-kisses on her cheeks and shavings all through her mane give it away.

Some can probably handle it, others can’t.

Thank you for your understanding

1 Like

Sure! I just mentioned it since OP’s horse is a bigger guy and is evidently having some kind of issue if he’s getting rubs.

1 Like

My horse is 16.2ish, lightly built, and has a very fine coat that marks if you breathe wrong on it.

At our previous barn, there was a non-functional automatic waterer on one wall and at least two water buckets hung on another wall in his well-bedded, matted 12 x 12 stall.

He was constantly covered in dings and missing patches of fur, and I finally worked out that it was from hitting one or more of these getting up and down, or avoiding them and scraping himself on the concrete wall. We moved him to a bigger, 16 x 12 stall, and things did improve.

At our new barn, he is in a 12 x 12, there is an auto waterer tucked in one corner, on a pillar rather than just sticking out the wall, but that’s it, no extra buckets, nothing. So far, no missing chunks of fur and skin, and it doesn’t sound like there’s an earthquake going on when he gets up and down. I think he was trying to avoid all the dangly, sticky-outy things, and trod all over himself instead…

So, you might also look at whether there are any unnecessary obstructions in his way!

My recent retiree is 17.3 with a damaged stifle that we have done everything we can for. You have my sympathies.

3 Likes