Unlimited access >

Saddle pad sizing gripe!

Schockemoehle. Plenty long, I also ride in a 17.5 saddle.

I have 7 saddles…all but one are 17.5 one is 18.5 and they all fit, just very curious about OPs saddle haha

From the replies here I’m thinking that everyone’s idea of “fit” is a little different. Half pad should be fully ON the underpad. Underpad should have space behind the saddle - then the piping - then the edge . In my world anyways lol.
I’ll see if I can snap some pics and figure out how to post here !

2 Likes

I have the opposite problem… many dressage pads are too big! I ride my OTTB in a 17” with short panels.

The half pads too big drive me crazy. And too short dressage girths but that’s a whole other discussion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Depends on the saddle panel–some of the gusseted panels stick out a long way from the back of the seat, which can theoretically help with weight distribution on a horse with the appropriate length of back, but can make saddle pads and half pads a challenge, as you have discovered.

I’ve just changed from a huge horse with a long back to a small horse with a short back. I had to change saddle style to one with a less prominent panel to accommodate new horse’s conformation, and all the saddle pads that have been frustrating me for years now fit. (Of course, they are all the wrong colors for my new horse…)

Me too!! All the dressage pads were too long for my 13.1 pony. Only the S/M Le Mieux fit in both the length and the drop for my old Passier dressage saddle. I’d buy one or two more but can’t find the smaller pads anywhere. But it’s a good thing because I like having just one (but would love an Ice Blue pad for my brown and white paint pony).

I was under the impression that the sheepskin pad goes directly on the horse’s back, as the sheepskin is natural and better for the horse. And if you have a saddle fitted to your horse, why use extra padding (unless your saddle is too wide)?

Being limited to only one kind of pad is good for an aspiring minimalist.

I’d always felt the same way about saddle fit and padding. That’s what I was taught growing up. But now I’m on my second horse who actually prefers his saddle a little wider with some extra padding under it, go figure… According to my 2 saddle fitter buddies, it’s not that unusual, and if that what makes them happy, so be it–we fit it to the pad. (And some horses are really hard to fit without some extra help, too.)

Are you looking for a dressage pad? There are several Dover brand ones with a 26” spine which works nicely with our 18” saddles.

I have an 18” saddle with wide panels for my mare and have the same problem. I use a Dover dressage pad at home, which barely fits but is at least longer than a regular pad. When I hunt I put a sheepskin half pad with a shaped white pad over it. The sheepskin could be longer! And I’m not going to pay $300 for a dang saddle pad! Please! Manufacturers, hear our plight! Make longer pads!

1 Like