Unlimited access >

Saddle to Help With Human Back Pain?

Ooh. I like that Devoucoux. I just have to sell a Prestige first.

Good luck on the saddle search. I can give a thumbs up for the Acavallo seat savers. Mine has the coccyx cutout and works wonderfully for my issues.

Susan

1 Like

The Biomex seat is a game changer. I had one Stubben with, one without–otherwise same size and style (even tree). I always wanted to ride the Biomex saddle. Additionally, many of the saddles have the option of velcro thigh blocks, so you can position them wherever it is comfortable. I am Stubben for life!

I have no help on saddle brands, but I’ve had back problems forever. I have spinal stenosis, which resulted in a laminectomy on 4 lumbar vertebrae, then years later I was told I might need a Foraminotomy and I would probably require fusions at that point. I was considering the whole nerve killing thing, but it’s not an issue now. Last time I was in PT I got evaluated for multifidus dysfunction and once we addressed that, everything got so much better. All the other PT that help a little suddenly helped a lot!

3 Likes

No help on saddles from me as I dabble in dressage and managed to find a CWD that fit both me and my horse quickly. I do find it much more comfortable for long rides than my other saddles and use it for trail riding because of that.

I did want to offer a dissenting opinion on the thinline. Despite having 3 “questionable” discs, the thinline did not help and if anything made the ride worse (not my pain though that was the same). It seemed to dull all feeling through my seat which I hated. Instead I have an Invictus half pad which is life saving for me. Someone here recommended it and I have used it every ride for years, only having pain if I over did it after being off or following a ride with an acrobatic horse.

Not sure if they are USDF legal or not but my FreeJumps also make a marked difference. I find composite stirrups help too, the FreeJumps are just a step above in quality and feel (they are slightly weighted, offer a safety feature that I appreciate, and are slightly offset to alleviate strain on the knees).

It may be worth playing with the “accessories” as well as the saddle to see what, if anything helps.

3 Likes

Hi

I’m a Grade V para dressage rider. I have Retrolisthesis of the L5/S1. I ride in a WOW saddle and swear by it. I can’t ride in anything else.

If a WOW doesn’t suit you, perhaps converting your saddle to Flair could be an option.

Oh, I also swear by pilates, and codeine.

Good luck, and happy riding, xx

2 Likes

PT originally made it much, much worse, but to be fair my insurance made me do it before I was diagnosed with my torn discs. They haven’t mentioned it since.

I am getting ready to schedule my next rhizotomies because they are beginning to wear off. It won’t even be a year, but at least it will start the clock over, I hope. I may see if PT is an option again; in the meantime the mentioned yoga which was fabulous until I fell off my other gelding at a halt (oops, totally my fault!) two weeks ago and separated my AC joint. Now I am waiting for it to heal so I can start again.

I really want to ride in the biomex, that sounds cool! Maybe they will have them at Landrover (if they have vendors and are open to the public).

I ended up sending the seat saver back as I didn’t like how it sat (I know that people didn’t mean it originally :joy:), but I don’t know if I have felt a difference with the thinline on him, as I’ve ridden in a bunch of different pads with him since he is very princess and the pea. Thankfully because of that I have like 30 options to choose from at the barn. But because of that, I also don’t have much choice on my end; I will really have to use what he likes that day, not the other way around. I will have to find what I like as far as seat to remain constant so he can have the flux he needs in pad. I don’t know why he changes so much, he just does :joy:

I will look in to the free jumps; I love my MDC ultimates because they turn and keep strain off my knees and ankles, but I’m willing to look into others at this point. :blush:

Thanks so much, I appreciate it. :blush:

I’ve heard good things about the WOW saddle! Is there a particular model you like?

I wish I was a candidate for better meds; it would sure be easier! They are holding off. I was on a muscle relaxer but they found I had a heart block so now I can’t have that either :weary:

It really is a case of finding what YOU like - there are so many options to choose from. Best thing is to find the panels that your horse likes, and then see what seat and flaps you like ie deep seat, shallow seat, flat seat; then the flaps ie fixed or moveable block, different sized blocks, etc.

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have to find what works for you. For me the acavello seat saver makes me feel tipped forward and out of balance. I do use a thin line or ogilvy gel half pad under the saddle, both to protect my back from concussion and to protect my horse from me. Saddle wise the most important thing to me aside from being well balanced is to have a really narrow twist. It’s the only way I feel like my thighs can lie flat. Wider twists irritate my hip flexors and lead to horrible SI pain for me.

In terms of physio / rehab, etc., yoga and tai chi are great if you can do them correctly and not injure yourself. For me the best thing ever is working one on one with an instructor on the Pilates reformer. It is really helping with my back and SI issues and I hope it will help improve my riding too

2 Likes

Oh wow, really inspired by hearing all the stories of riders persevering through some very scary sounding back problems.

I was going to suggest the “Activate Your Seat” program, I do it a few times a week and I like it a lot. It’s not back specific, but if you’re looking for a lower impact exercise that is tailored for riders it could be worth a look.

I do this program as well. I had a bad SI sprain with nerve damage, and unhealthy compensation patterns developed in some muscle areas. This program is helping get me straighter and therefore helps my back by developing correct functional posture.

1 Like

I 10/10 recommend the Invictus pad for anyone with back pain, it is the only pad that has given me any relief and I’ve tried everything.

I am just coming over to the dark side, but I absolutely love my Prestige XD1. The X tree combined with the Invictus, has made my back very happy and I am able to ride without pain for the first time in a lot of years.

1 Like