Unlimited access >

Safest trailer type/design for hauling alone?

Check out the Equi-Trek trailers. A friend of mine just bought the basic Trail-Treka model specifically because it is so easy for her to load / unload by herself, and because she can safely tow it with her SUV.

I ordered a new all aluminum Featherlite three horse gooseneck Warmblood size slant load in 2018. Got a stud divider for the first/second slots. The horse compartment is insulated. Added a back ramp. It’s huge. Taller, wider and longer inside stalls than previous Warmblood size straight load. Think the stalls are around 42”+ wide and 11’+ long. 7’5” tall inside due to insulation. Outside width is 7’6”. Easily accommodates three big Warmbloods.

1 Like

I am petite and only own medium/large ponies.
I had a stock trailer for 20 years and every horse that was trailered alone in that trailer always stood sideways/slant… or backwards if left loose…which sure makes me think that most horses balance much better when standing on a slant.
When I went to replace that trailer this spring I only considered slants. And step-ups.
We just bought a young large pony and he was shipped to us (5+ hours) loose in a stock and he walked up into our new trailer just fine last week.

1 Like

I really like the options available with a stock trailer. I am using a feather lite stock trailer, it has a divider that i can change how large the sides are. I usually only trailer one horse, so i have it set to about 2/3 so my mare can move around and position herself however she feels comfortable, but not move around to the point where it would be extra hard on the truck.

I do not tie my mare. A few years ago, she had a mishap in a trailer, and would panic in when trailering and lose her balance and fall. It did not matter if it was a straight load or a slant. In a straight she would brace her feet out wide and would end up shaving off the outside of her hooves. In a slant she would bash her hips on the dividers. But lose in a stock trailer she can stand however she feels comfortable, and has never had an issue. She prefers to stand at an angle with butt at the drivers side top corner, and head at the passenger side bottom corner.

Being that the trailer has a secondary divider, i can load her, turn her around while still connected to the lead rope, close the divider, open the door in the divider, then walk in and unclip the lead. Then close the door in the divider, then walk to the back and close the trailer.

I like nothing about a trailer with a ramp. A stock type would give you more room and more length for the horse and eliminate the ramp altogether.

You can get them in various lengths and with a tack room or dressing room. Very versatile and I have never had a horse that didn’t haul well in mine. More open and airy so they aren’t as claustrophobic if that is an issue.

1 Like