Unlimited access >

Saying Goodbye to Rescue Kitty - Mammary tumors

I adopted a kitty last February - I told the shelter I’d take the kitty in most need, and she turned out to be a cute little tabby furball with 4 upper teeth, a belly that sagged almost to the floor after many litters of kittens and a very sad feral history. When they caught her she had earmites, worms, heartworm, fleas and an autoimmune disorder. But she thrived here, and “Daisy” has been such a little ray of sunshine in our home. In early August, I felt a lump on her belly, and it turned out to be mammary cancer. We considered surgery but with her autoimmune disease, her prognosis was not good to survive such a tough surgery. So I’ve taken the care and comfort route and she has done well. Looking at her, you’d never know she is so ill, but the tumors have grown rapidly and we’re on the precipice of a huge decline in her quality of life and, I fear, the onset of real pain. I’ve been taking her into the vet’s office every few weeks to track the progression and help myself determine when it’s time to say goodbye, and I think when I take her in for her check tomorrow morning, it will be is the day I’ve dreaded since August.
Isn’t it amazing how deeply we can love our pets, and while we are so fortunate to be able to help them avoid a prolonged and painful death, it is heart wrenching to make the decision, and awful to have to say goodbye. Godspeed little Daisy and thank you for bringing such joy into our home.

10 Likes

Bless you for loving Daisy ~ she is lucky to have you as her “mom”

3 Likes

Godspeed Daisy. She sounds like a lovely girl who got the short end until you came along.

I’m sorry it’s time. It doesn’t matter how prepared we think we are or that we’ve known it’s coming, it’s hard to lose our little friends.

Thank you for you choosing Ms. Daisy and making her days loved and cared for. So you have any pictures you could post of her?

Jingles for a peaceful passing for Daisy and and peace and comfort for you.

4 Likes

Godspeed Daisy and best wishes for your mum for seeing you through your journey.

3 Likes

I am so sorry about Daisy. Im sure she knows how much she is loved.

4 Likes

Thank for making her last years the best ones ever. Thank you for loving her and for giving her the peaceful end she deserves.

3 Likes

Hugs to you and Daisy. :heart: I hope you might get a little more time together. Thank you for adopting her and taking care of her. You gave her the gifts of love and a home the last several months and it’s wonderful that she finally got to be loved.

3 Likes

Thank you to all of you for such kind words. I didn’t want to go to sleep last night because I didn’t want today to come. Saying goodbye to that dear little girl was very, very hard. She trusted me and while I know there was no hope, and my decision spared her from the pain that was coming within the next two weeks, it about killed me to take that drive to the vet with her this morning. The late mr. chai and I took in so many animals on our farm and we were firm believers in better a day too soon than an hour too late. Rationally, I know this was the kindest decision for a terminally ill kitty, but it still hurts. I miss that dear little one.
I’ll be on the search for a new kitty because it is too empty without her. Thank you to all of you for really understanding, and for such kind words at a tough time.

8 Likes

((hugs)) OP - RIP Daisy girl

1 Like

I’m so sorry. It’s so hard and painful to lose them. Please take in another one when you’re ready. There are plenty out there that need you. Wishing you peace and comfort.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry she’s gone. Hugs and jingles for you!

I hope when it’s the right time, your search leads to a wonderful new kitty to love.

2 Likes

Thank you for giving such a wonderful several months.

{HUGS}
BTDT & it is never easy for us, but best for them. :broken_heart:
Know that you gave Daisy the Best Life, even though shorter than you’d want.
I’m glad to hear another rescue will carry on Daisy’s part in your life. :heart:

1 Like

RIP Daisy. You gave her a wonderful last few months so well done. I know how hard this is, especially this week losing my Dice cat. I know you’ll find the perfect cat when it’s time.