Unlimited access >

Sedivet use in reining horses

Thanks for the insight!

That what was commented to me when I asked someone that was very in support on the reiners owners groups. Their wording was it was better than loping them down for that number of hours and that was their justification for the support of Sedivet and that it wouldnā€™t mask lameness. I just found it so bizarre and that there were others that agreed/liked/supported that comment.

I do agree that thereā€™s a large group of people against this, but clearly those people arenā€™t on the BOD that voted and found this acceptable. I do hope the majority continue writing letters and hopefully get this overturned.

2 Likes

What is the rationale behind wanting to tire out a cutting horse so much? I would have thought they would need some energy and undulled agility in order to do what they do.

5 Likes

I thought it was a draft rule that was released, not a release saying the rule had been instituted?

Was it ever revealed what drug it was that caused the pony Humble to drop dead at the end of a needle at Devon? Was it Dex?

1 Like

Dex is not going to cause anything to suddenly drop dead nor is it given close to competition time, even when being used improperly.

1 Like

Well it was one of the medsā€¦

So they would be mentally ready to work. I agree that it seemed excessive. I have a cowhorse that needs about 30 minutes of warm up 45 in the colder months. I do not understand it in all honesty. My friend was telling me that her legs were screaming by the time she went in to show. She is coming back to cowhorse.

2 Likes

It is bizarre! I honestly do not know one Reiner that lopes that long.

i thought it was magnesium but could be wrong

5 Likes

Quite possible. It was a long time ago, but I still think of that poor pony and those poor kids.

2 Likes

Sure, but those are all USEF legal medications that are unlikely to cause a fatal issue. Or were at the time. The Depo is illegal now because the newer version caused issues, but at the time there were no reports or rumors of problems. Whatever caused that ponyā€™s death is not likely to be something on that list.

3 Likes

I suspect you are right about that, though it is possible that it was an anaphylactic reaction to one of those.

1 Like

No. It was Magnesium administered IV. If you do too much, too fast, you can screw up the heart (Stop it? Cause an arrythmia? I donā€™t know that bit of it). Lots of horses in Hunter World were (are?) given magnesium, purportedly to correct a deficiency. I kind of have my doubts about that, in part because the dosages chosen are pretty high.

3 Likes

FWIW, back in the early days of anesthesia, magnesium sulfate was used.

In an animal that is not in extremis from magnesium deficiencyā€“as in ā€œgrass staggersā€ or transport tetany, there is no clinical reason to administer magnesium other than orally.

6 Likes

Donā€™t want to detail the thread, but that seems like a lot of banamine and robaxin for a weekly med chart. Is this how some people deal with their horses? Why does a horse need banamine every other day?

1 Like

They donā€™t.

7 Likes

Thatā€™s a show med sheet for what is probably the years most important show. The horses donā€™t ā€œneedā€ it, but when youā€™re talking about horses living on the road in small stalls with no turnout, jumping a bunch of days in a row, and lunging and walking on not always perfect footing and add on top of that a very important show, most people are going to cover all their bases with the use of legal medication. Thereā€™s enough of a chance that itā€™s going to make a difference in the performance.
And then yes of course you are going to have some people giving something illegal or controversial trying to make even more of a difference in performance or bandaid an issue.

4 Likes

I suppose. I was just a bit shocked at the dosages. Itā€™s on par with what weā€™re giving the young mare who slipped and fell into a tree in her paddock, whacked her face so hard her eye swelled shut, and she about bit her tongue off. Iā€™m only used to seeing those drugs brought out in trauma/crisis situations, not for show prep.

Iā€™m all for making a horse comfortable in its work. They shouldnā€™t have to perform with pain. But, sedation is something different. My farrier is a reining judge. Apparently he saw the horse that won the big las Vegas show a few months ago, and it looked off and sour. And then it comes back and wins bigā€¦and it turns out itā€™s on sedivet. How does a sedative do that? Iā€™ve tack walked horses with a little ace, and reserpine, but out of necessity, not to fix performance.

2 Likes

It was a ponyā€™s med sheetā€¦ :frowning_face:

3 Likes