Unlimited access >

Seeking PRIVATE, Adult H/J Boarding....(Palm Beach County)

[QUOTE=Losgelassenheit;8304916]
Talk to me after you’ve watched a horse rot in his stall all week with one bag of shavings allotted because the owner “can’t afford it”. Meanwhile they are riding around in a newly purchased vehicle and restaurant hopping every night, broadcasting their spectacular lifestyle all over social media. No time to come out and spend even 30 minutes grooming him off, but all the time in the world to go have a 3 hour spa session and get their hair done. Please.

I fully understand that people have jobs and families. Then pay for full board where we are taking care of your horse and it won’t much matter if you decide not to show up for a week. But don’t dazzle me with how much you “love your horse” while you chinse out on board and think that I’ll just take care of poor Dobbin anyway because I feel bad. Been there, done that. Still haven’t been paid.

But I did have the joy of hearing how I had no right to shovel out the sopping wet manure-laden stall myself a) for the horse’s sake, and b) to maintain a presentable facility. And God forbid I bill accordingly! Somehow these types of people always feel that their bill is up for negotiation.

And that is the precise reason why someone like the OP is a joy, because when someone is that particular about their horse’s care, it’s legit. Actions over words, and all that. I still fail to see what exactly was so inflammatory in the original post anyway. But to each their own.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you should use a smaller brush when painting every horse owner, then.

I do pay quite a bit for full board - specifically because I know that I don’t have the time to do partial self care.

What was inflammatory was telling us that every person who is separated from the day to day care of her horse doesn’t “love” it. I have practically NO involvement in the day to day care of my horse. (I used to do self care, so I certainly know how to do it and what needs to be done.) The OP doesn’t love her horse any more than I do just because she had the time and ability to micro manage his care to that extent.

Do you now understand why what you said was obnoxious?

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;8305275]
Perhaps you should use a smaller brush when painting every horse owner, then.

I do pay quite a bit for full board - specifically because I know that I don’t have the time to do partial self care.

What was inflammatory was telling us that every person who is separated from the day to day care of her horse doesn’t “love” it. I have practically NO involvement in the day to day care of my horse. (I used to do self care, so I certainly know how to do it and what needs to be done.) The OP doesn’t love her horse any more than I do just because she had the time and ability to micro manage his care to that extent.

Do you now understand why what you said was obnoxious?[/QUOTE]

Actually – the post you are objecting to was referring to people who do not care while pretending to care. Re-read it several times and do not find any reason to read it as applying to those who carefully select a facility to provide full care because they are not able because of job, other commitments, or lack of expertise or desire to do it themselves.

Sometimes things are taken too literally or too broadly

[QUOTE=juststartingout;8305289]
Actually – the post you are objecting to was referring to people who do not care while pretending to care. Re-read it several times and do not find any reason to read it as applying to those who carefully select a facility to provide full care because they are not able because of job, other commitments, or lack of expertise or desire to do it themselves.

Sometimes things are taken too literally or too broadly[/QUOTE]

I just re read it.

[QUOTE=Losgelassenheit;8303039]Sending you a PM. You sound like a dream boarder.

I have been at my wit’s end lately with how many people “love” their horses, yet can’t seem to get far enough away from them and their daily care. How refreshing to hear from someone as dedicated (and OCD :smiley: ) as myself.[/QUOTE]

She says that people who aren’t involved in daily care don’t love their horses. I don’t see any mention of “not caring while pretending to care.”

Perhaps you read your interpretation into it? I read it at face value - that people who micro manage care more, which I don’t believe to be true.

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;8305305]
I just re read it.

She says that people who aren’t involved in daily care don’t love their horses. I don’t see any mention of “not caring while pretending to care.”

Perhaps you read your interpretation into it? I read it at face value - that people who micro manage care more, which I don’t believe to be true.[/QUOTE]

The inference I read is in the context. The poster does not say that people who aren’t involved in daily care don’t love their horses. Instead, the post says that is that the poster is tired of “people who “LOVE” their horses, yet can’t seem to get far enough away from them and their daily care” The emphasis in NOT on whether the owner does daily care but on owners who purport to “love” their horses while at the same time getting as far away from them as possible.

We can read it differently – We too have done both self care and had horse full boarded. Quite sure that we have both observed horrible self care and dedicated owners who full board. Also sure we have both observed exemplary self care and totally uncaring and neglectful full boarders.

[QUOTE=juststartingout;8305317]
Quite sure that we have both observed horrible self care and dedicated owners who full board. Also sure we have both observed exemplary self care and totally uncaring and neglectful full boarders.[/QUOTE]

On that we agree 100%!

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;8303346]
That is a truly spectacular way to alienate all of your boarders who have, oh, i dunno - demanding jobs or families or, you know, dumb stuff like that. The stuff that makes up the rest of their lives and earns them enough money to write their board checks.

What an obnoxious thing to say.[/QUOTE]

Actually this match should be quite entertaining. If OP is as prudent about vetting the caretakers of her horse as she is about the actual care, expect a whole nother post to include disclosure of all aliases and past and pending lawsuits.

[QUOTE=Losgelassenheit;8304916]
Talk to me after you’ve watched a horse rot in his stall all week with one bag of shavings allotted because the owner “can’t afford it”. Meanwhile they are riding around in a newly purchased vehicle and restaurant hopping every night, broadcasting their spectacular lifestyle all over social media. No time to come out and spend even 30 minutes grooming him off, but all the time in the world to go have a 3 hour spa session and get their hair done. Please.

I fully understand that people have jobs and families. Then pay for full board where we are taking care of your horse and it won’t much matter if you decide not to show up for a week. But don’t dazzle me with how much you “love your horse” while you chinse out on board and think that I’ll just take care of poor Dobbin anyway because I feel bad. Been there, done that. Still haven’t been paid.

But I did have the joy of hearing how I had no right to shovel out the sopping wet manure-laden stall myself a) for the horse’s sake, and b) to maintain a presentable facility. And God forbid I bill accordingly! Somehow these types of people always feel that their bill is up for negotiation.

And that is the precise reason why someone like the OP is a joy, because when someone is that particular about their horse’s care, it’s legit. Actions over words, and all that. I still fail to see what exactly was so inflammatory in the original post anyway. But to each their own.[/QUOTE]

And THAT^, in a nutshell, is the precise reason most better barns don’t allow “self-care.” First off, most of these “types” don’t know as much as they THINK they do. Second, their “care” tends to be intermittent and erratic, or else they are “campers” who have NO LIFE except for Dobbin and also tend to hang around dishing out unsolicited advice to one’s OTHER boarders.

What it comes down to for BO’s is, if you don’t think I can do a good enough job taking care of your horse (which I do for a full-time living!), well, take it on down the road and good luck with that.

OP really needs to buy a farm of her own, hire her own help, and boss THEM as she pleases. And BTW, pay for it all. :winkgrin:

I pay full board for 2 at a small facility. Before smartpak’s, I packaged my horses supps in plastic containers. The barn appreciated it as it saved time in the am. I saw a border turn her horse out with an impending thunderstorm. By impending, I mean visible lightning. I heard her tell the staff “Now if it rains, bring him in”. There was a black sky and thunder/lightning! She left and hadn’t even hit the end of the driveway when it started to pour. She went home leaving the very nice barn girl to pull her horse in in a monsoon. I had already pulled my 2 in and proceeded to help her pull in the rest.

I don’t see an issue with the OP. She isn’t telling the staff to do this or that. She is doing it herself. My barn appreciates when I clean, turn out or help feed but we are a small barn. Maybe different at a larger, professionally run barn.

To ALL,

Thank you all for commenting on my original post… whether supportive or objective because it has actually helped me reflect on how I sounded in my original post. I read my post again as if I were an outsider reading it for the first time. I suppose I just wrote what I felt at the time, ran spell check and waited anxiously to read the responses in hopes I would get some good leads, find potential barns, receive contact numbers or referrals, etc… I should have actually waited a few minutes, thought about how I came across, and reconsidered my post. I should have put (some) things out there, the basics I suppose, and then developed relationships with you guys more until eventually I would be able to share more information about myself when I earned trust, and connect with a few people who were interested in me as a boarder or could recommend a place…but I thought “let me just put EVERYTHING out there right away so there isn’t anything held back, just be totally honest, share the ways that I like to be a part of with my horses care, and see who is out there willing to work with me…” but OOPS !

Yes, I can see now looking back where I do come across sounding pompous, snowflake like, etc., yikes! Anyone first reading my post could very well take offense to some of the things I said, for many reasons, and I really wish I could go back in time and say the same thing, yet in a much different way. The last thing I expected was to cause any negative banter.

So, staying POSITIVE here people >>> UPDATE >>> I have made contact with a few barn owners and managers in private who are willing to work with me. I am very excited to have this kind of hope and I can’t wait to be back “HOME” in south FL again !

And hey, if there are any negative/rude/ill willed comments after this post, I will still have a huge smile on my face :slight_smile:

Thanks again to ALL… now play nice! :smiley:

[QUOTE=Guardian;8290977]

My “ideal” barn owner/manager would allow me to maintain my own stall every day (clean his stall, replace shavings, scrub water buckets and refill, hang hay bag, clean feed tub, etc)…

…I am with my horse 7 days a week (other than the occasional brief trip or errand days when I need a break)[/QUOTE]

So, the ideal manager would also have a copy of your varying schedule to see that staff filled in for you, meeting your standards, when you travel, run errands or “need a break”? No doubt carefully inspecting their work on your return to be sure it’s to your standards?

You don’t get a break if you want to really care for your own horse to the extent you are communicating here. Does not help how you are perceived.

Although the post came across a bit micro-managey, I think OP is smart in outlining what she does as a horse owner so that she doesn’t end up at a barn that won’t allow her to do those things. I worked for a woman who didn’t work and had no kids, and as a result, spent a lot of her time doing the kinds of tasks OP describes because it made her happy and she knew her horses were well-cared for. Heck, I pick my own horse’s stall each night, scrub/refill buckets, throw her a flake of hay I buy… not because the barn isn’t good enough, but I like to.

It’s different to outline a bunch of demands and expect it to happen, but if she’s willing to do the work - well, good on her for saying it up front before she angers some BO/BM who wants her to get out of the way.

OP, I hope you find a great place for you and your horse.

HTo ALL,

Staying positive here, I just wanted to clarify that my barn takes care of the morning chores, I show up later in the day and plan my time with my horse around their evening chores. I am right there with them at the exact same time, I do not disrupt their schedule as one of you coined the phrase, I do NOT make them go by my schedule, and looking back at my original post, I don’t know why some of you would assume I have demanded that, but I can see how it may be assumed or perceived that way so I understand.

The people who have said mean or negative things or assumed things I didn’t mention (I certainly couldn’t fit in every single last thing to prevent misunderstandings ) never once said that they even remotely think it’s great that I have such concern or thoughts of good intentions towards being a part of my horses care, so in return in those cases, I am very happy NOT to be one of your boarders :). I mean seriously, you assumed as well as not ask me first.

So this has all become so very tedious and ridiculous, it is tiring and disheartening to have one word and an honest sentence from my original post turn into ugly debates, I really have to move on from this forum post and find positive and encouraging people out there

I greatly thank those of you who could relate to me in some way and at least were respectful…I am going to take the high road now and not feed in to the negativity any further, as it would just progress like a disease and influence others to then act the same, I don’t want that, so with that said I am going to continue my search in private. I am confident that I will find the best overall situation for me and my horse by the time I am ready to move…I will be fine, and my horse will be fine :slight_smile:

I know of a situation similar to this but it is in Southwest Ranches. They are actually exactly what you are looking for and the drive to Wellington isn’t bad, maybe 40 minutes IIRC.

[QUOTE=Guardian;8306096]
HTo ALL,

Staying positive here, I just wanted to clarify that my barn takes care of the morning chores, I show up later in the day and plan my time with my horse around their evening chores. I am right there with them at the exact same time, I do not disrupt their schedule as one of you coined the phrase, I do NOT make them go by my schedule, and looking back at my original post, I don’t know why some of you would assume I have demanded that, but I can see how it may be assumed or perceived that way so I understand.

The people who have said mean or negative things or assumed things I didn’t mention (I certainly couldn’t fit in every single last thing to prevent misunderstandings ) never once said that they even remotely think it’s great that I have such concern or thoughts of good intentions towards being a part of my horses care, so in return in those cases, I am very happy NOT to be one of your boarders :). I mean seriously, you assumed as well as not ask me first.

So this has all become so very tedious and ridiculous, it is tiring and disheartening to have one word and an honest sentence from my original post turn into ugly debates, I really have to move on from this forum post and find positive and encouraging people out there

I greatly thank those of you who could relate to me in some way and at least were respectful…I am going to take the high road now and not feed in to the negativity any further, as it would just progress like a disease and influence others to then act the same, I don’t want that, so with that said I am going to continue my search in private. I am confident that I will find the best overall situation for me and my horse by the time I am ready to move…I will be fine, and my horse will be fine :)[/QUOTE]

Congrats at finding a place and being introspective on how you may have sounded. :slight_smile: I’m glad you have found an arrangement that will work for you. I certainly appreciate being able to move “back home”, wherever that may be.

Good luck. Now if you become a regular poster, we expect pictures!!!