Selevit Injectable

That sounds like somebody my mother might have encountered when she went to Cornell.

But she ignored him, and she is one of the first women in those class pictures hanging in the hallway of the vet school.

21 Likes

I donā€™t care if he is the vet for the King of England, his treatment resulted in the death of Chromatic BF and that is a heartbreaking tragedy!

8 Likes

Taking the thread further afield.

My mom was advised not to apply to med school circa 1950 because she ā€œwouldnā€™t want to take a place away from a young man, possibly a veteran who had served in WWII.ā€ The advisor suggested that she wait a few years and apply then if she still wanted to. Meanwhile, she became a hospital lab tech, met my dad when he brought a sample to the lab, and the rest is history. I suppose that one can argue both ways in her caseā€“it worked out OK for her not going to med school, but weā€™ll never know what she could/would have done had she gone.

When I started grad school my class was half women, which roughly doubled the number of women grad students in the department. Someone had talked to someone who advised that isolated women would have less success than a cohort of women. Iā€™m still in contact with a number of these women, even years later.

9 Likes

And why arenā€™t heads rolling at USEF??

3 Likes

Did your mother ever regret not pursuing a medical career? I feel so sorry for her. That attitude about taking jobs away from men was common in the 1960s when I was growing up. I remember there was a recession at one time and my mother saying she would be happy to give up her job if only she could be sure it would go to a man who is supporting a family. Since my father was able to support us my mother felt as though she was keeping someone else from caring for his family. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes and no. I think she was mostly satisfied with her life, but wondered what could have been. She was a voracious organizer of thingsā€“PTA, girl scouts, horse show management, city equestrian committeeā€“but all as a volunteer.

2 Likes

Following this brief tangent: also in the 50s my great aunt was working on her PhD. She applied to a prestigious position at university and was told she was qualified, but they couldnā€™t hire her since sheā€™d be taking a job from a man with a family to support.

3 Likes

I had a womenā€™s studies class in the early 1980ā€™s that was amazing.
We had a broad spectrum of ages in the group, and a number of the women who had been actively recruited into the workforce during WWII were told afterwards to go homeā€“they were taking jobs away from veterans.
The striaght out of highschool students were utterly shocked.

4 Likes

It seems as though she had a very fulfilling life but I guess everyone wonders how their life would have turned out if they had made other choices.

4 Likes

True, this.

1 Like

Life is not a double-blind study.

2 Likes

I was a wild teen. There was a moment when I made a random choice. My life could have turned out differently, thatā€™s for sure. And not in a good way.

2 Likes