Selevit Injectable

This is an issue with the FEI medications rules. Sometimes doesn’t promote cleaner sport just using other (riskier?) substances. It also seems unclear how this one and the arnica was administered also.

8 Likes

If there is any good in this, the owner /rider are apparently asking for some changes regarding the USEF “Loan of the horse” and evidently the US has discontinued the use of Selevit, and

4 Likes

No surprise there. :roll_eyes:

This tragedy should never have happened, and I am appalled that USEF gives its team vets free rein to use off-label treatments without first clearing it with the horse’s owner. I don’t blame Branscomb for being in a rage about it!

38 Likes

I am simply aghast at the number of injections after what is apparently each performance FEI horses are given.

33 Likes

As am I.
One wonders what real evidence supports their use.

32 Likes

The report is so unclear. Isn’t the active ingredient of Traumeel arnica? So two injections of the same homeopathic substance, or one? And no blood work prior to giving selenium (especially to a California horse) is to me, like practicing without a license.

24 Likes

Yes! I think there is something extra in Traumeel though in addition to the arnica.

The reporting does lack clarity as to how each medication was administered, and the specific timing… except for the selevit - that was clearly given IV, and the horse experienced acute distress minutes after the shot, then got Dex… but was not given epinephrine (was it even available?)… and the horse passed away minutes later.

I wonder why they didn’t try epinephrine. Really sad.

6 Likes

Traumeel is always confusing to me… It’s “homeopathic” but somehow not. It contains actual active ingredients, rather than just water that’s been exposed to agents and then diluted to nothing (which is what homeopathy is.)

Anyway, here’s an actual research paper that discusses Traumeel and it’s ingredients, both the injectable stuff and the cream. It does have arnica, but quite a bit more.

6 Likes

It literally doesn’t. Homeopathy is at best saline and at worst god-knows-what since it’s not manufactured to drug standards.

Anyway, here’s an actual research paper that discusses Traumeel and it’s ingredients, both the injectable stuff and the cream. It does have arnica, but quite a bit more.

That paper was paid for by the outfit that manufactures and sells Traumeel and written by a professional freelance medical writer. It says so right at the end in the acknowledgments section.

28 Likes

Interestingly I use the former team vet who stepped down recently after a long stint and we were chatting last summer. He feels that the rampant overuse of medication in the sport is a huge risk of it ceasing to exist. Something like this, for example, he says is just as easily a threat to our sport as the poor horsemanship from pentathlon changing theirs forever.

41 Likes

I think it’s safe to say that horse was insured out the ying yang. I wonder what the insurance company has to say about all this. I have a feeling this will drag out for at least a couple of years, and it should. Some heads need to roll and someone needs to get hit hard in their wallet for this one

7 Likes

Yes! This is also very common in barrel horses as well, and after the initial instance they usually recover fine, and most owners use lasix (there aren’t strict drug rules like USEF). Quite a few also use supplements that have been developed as of recent to help manage it as well.https://barrelhorsenews.com/barrel-racing-articles/horse-health/bleeder-basics-myth-busting-common-misconceptions-about-exercise-induced-pulmonary-hemorrhage/

2 Likes

And the administering vet needs to have his veterinary license revoked.

17 Likes

I wouldn’t be so quick to assume the horse was insured. It’s expensive to insure a horse like that for full value, and many breeders insure for just enough value to obtain major medical coverage or self-insure. I have no idea whether this horse was insured or not, and for what value; I’m speaking in generalities.

16 Likes

It’s a reasonable question to ask, is it ethical to continue using horses at a level of sport that requires so much medical intervention just to maintain their bodies?

40 Likes

I linked it to share the ingredients, not as support of it’s use, which I thought was clear from my post.

But it’s clearly HERBAL rather than HOMEOPATHIC, which is why it’s odd it’s somehow considered homeopathic.

11 Likes

They are looking for any edge up. Legend will genuinely help the horse the next day. Adequan will help but probably not the next day. The Traumeel is probably neither here nor there, as long as it was not mis-manufactured or contaminated. The Selevit is notorious for severe reactions. I would be curious who authorized giving it.

5 Likes

Thank you for revealing Traumell’s ingredients. It’s puzzling to me that the vet injected the horse with a substance that contains both belladonna and St. John’s wort, both of which are extremely toxic to horses. As a topical, perhaps. I know it is very popular with athletes as a topical.

1 Like

I found the wording in the article weird about the timeline of the medications given. Read one way, it looks like all those meds were given in one shot, which would be really odd. Read another way, the horse had been given the other meds at some point, but the E-se was the one administered shortly before the bad reaction.

7 Likes

I cannot believe USEF is doing anything other than throwing the full weight of their support behind the owner. Hugely problematic for a sport that relies on owner generosity and million dollar animals.

41 Likes