Unlimited access >

Delete

delete

First, where are the owners in all this?

Second, where is the vet?

You should get an actual Cushings test so you know what you are dealing with and discuss the options with the vet.

There’s no herbal supplement that will cure Cushings. It’s a tumor on the pituary gland.

6 Likes

First, you need a diagnosis, from a real veterinarian, definitely a guess is not a diagnosis.
Without blood work you can’t tell if he has Cushing’s and what dose of medication or herbs?? will be adequate.

If he looks poorly and is not quite acting right, a vet can help sort what may be going on.
Cushing’s is just one of several possibilities.

Very nice of you to try to help him and that you are asking for ideas to do so.
Best luck finding what is going on with him and a way to help him. :sunglasses:

12 Likes

that is my question also, they need to be consulted first

7 Likes
  1. Cost - it’s part of taking care of animals
  2. Dose - you have no idea how the dosage will play out without regular testing. There are a LOT of horses who don’t have to increase dose. There are lots who start out at half a typical dose, and end their lives on a full typical dose.
  3. Depression - the pergolide veil is successfully navigated by the vast majority of horses whose owners take the time to do what it takes
  4. Side effects - like living a longer healthier life?
  5. Beliefs - the horse doesn’t know what you believe, and the science doesn’t care (and I don’t mean that in a snarky way)

There are zero herbs proven to do anything other than help manage symptoms of PPID. None.

You are seeing multiple major symptoms of this disease, and the owner needs to get him tested. It is their job to do that unless your lease agreement says it’s on you. If that’s what it says, then it’s on you. You don’t have the right to not treat a horse that isn’t yours

The symptoms you describe can easily mean he should have started Prascend a while ago. He sounds like a ticking time bomb going into Fall, with the seasonal rise. Rings on his feet, some warmth, I almost guarantee he’s already laminitic

So no, I don’t agree with your idea that you don’t want to use Prascend, and I won’t move on, because that is ignoring what’s in the best interest of the horse. It isn’t your decision to make, it’s the owners.

The owner needs to be involved as the first step. If they aren’t interested in his care, then it’s on you to make sure he gets tested, and started on the proper dose of Prascend asap, or I fear this Fall may end badly for him.

16 Likes

Going to echo everyone else and gently say he is not your horse and you’re a minor. It is the owners responsibility to sort this out. They need to be in the loop with any diagnosis and treatment, even herbal remedies.

7 Likes

Super worried.

5 Likes

@fairiepony

There are some very smart people here. Believe them.

A forum tip for you - Making the title “delete” only makes more people read the thread.

20 Likes

Very rude to delete the topic as it wasres all our thoughtful advice that could be useful to other readers in future.

Fortunately it was quoted in a reply.

I expect the very young poster did not like the advice. I expect they wanted to be reassured and given some advice about turmeric, and not be told to worry or involve the adults.

I think it’s great that the young OP is alert and thinking enough to see the very early signs and be concerned. Lots of kids wouldn’t. I am impressed.

But this is the kind of thing the owner needs and deserves to know about. And the horse needs real medical care. The meds are effective and can extend the horses life a long time. Whereas laminitis and founder are a death sentence.

10 Likes

Yup, it’s the only reason I’m here :wink:

7 Likes

:rofl: Because we are smart?

Or the more obvious thread title?

4 Likes

I just clicked on it because of the delete title for sure. So sad to hear how everyone in this horse’s life are apparently failing him, he definitely doesn’t deserve that. Hopefully this will open the OPs eyes and realize everyone involved has to step up and do right by him. And no, I won’t argue with you about Prascend because there is nothing to debate. You either take proper care of the horse or you don’t.

9 Likes

Increased thirst/urination can also be a sign of kidney problems. In case it’s helpful for anyone searching the forum in the future
You don’t want to go throwing herbs or any chemicals (anything that actually has an effect on the body is a chemical, whether it’s “natural” or manufactured) at a horse showing these symptoms without some bloodwork and having a vet involved and an actual diagnosis.

4 Likes

Because there is something about the title “delete” that makes we want to check the popcorn and wine section of my kitchen, just in case.

14 Likes

" Delete " got me too. I am glad that Bluey thought to quote it.

@fairiepony You need to let the owners know what is going on ( if they don’t already). It is up to them to decide how to treat and with what. You also need a vet to confirm what is actually wrong with him so you can treat accordingly.

3 Likes

Like everyone else said, let the owner of the horse in the loop to decide the course of action they want to take. I can almost guarantee they’re not going to care about your beliefs if they care about this horse.

2 Likes

Here for the “delete”. :laughing:

1 Like