Unlimited access >

Shed Row Barn Ideas (Share your picture)

[QUOTE=fatappy;7784797]
Here’s mine.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I don’t consider this a true shedrow barn, but a regular, enclosed barn with a big, oversized door opening in front.

That is a wonderful barn, beautiful and well thought out to fill the needs of the ones working out of it and, unlike shedrow barns, the front of the stalls is protected inside the barn, which is what makes barns so nice to work out of, compared with shedrow barns, that are by definition very much open to the elements.

True shedrow barns may or not have an overhang, but are basically open in front to the elements.
People may add curtains in front to keep rain and snow out of the aisle and stalls, but they are open otherwise.

There are climates and land requirements and aesthetics, the taste of the owner in barns, that may make a shedrow barn adequate for any one place.

In general, shedrow barns are not as efficient at protecting what is under their roof as center aisle or at least, as the one in the quote above, somewhat to completely enclosed barns.

That is something anyone building from scratch has to consider, how they will be working out of what they build, in all kinds of weather, day and night and be aware that true shedrow barns give the least protection of any in themselves, unless you start adding to them to make them more like a regular barn with screens or enclosures to keep the weather out.

Bluey makes a good point. Probably why I love fatappy’s barn so much. :wink:

I wanted to add, I don’t have a shedrow “barn” but my run in (we are almost done with…thank goodness) is 16’ deep x 12’ wide (true interior is 15.5’ with a foot overhang beyond the end, so 16’6"). I hid in there during a storm for a bit last night and I am really happy I have the extra depth (from the typical 12’ mentioned in the original post). The only thing I would do differently if I were rebuilding it tomorrow is go 16’ wide instead of 12’.

[QUOTE=TrotTrotPumpkn;7792130]
How big is your too-small tack room? That’s my project for next year.[/QUOTE]

I think it’s 12’ deep by like 7’ wide.

Bluey, I think? that IS why I love fatappy’s so much! the primary discussions I’ve ever heard are: Center aisle, or shedrow? See, I don’t think that is the only option. IF you can situate your barn where, you can have an ‘enclosed’ overhang shedrow, you get the best of both. Put a large double door opening on the ‘long side’ and openings on both ends. then, you get an enclosed aisle in winter, and triple airflow in summer. Me likey.