Unlimited access >

Shipping - Maryland to Colorado

My horse arrived safe and sound today! He was not the first off so he wound up in a box size by the time he got to the farm. Annick tied a cute bow on him :lol:. She was really easy to work with and provided ample updates. I would use her again for sure. Her rig isn’t a big tractor trailer but it is still really nice.

She called me right away after I filled out the quote form on her website. Since you have some time, it might be worth trying to figure out if she could work you into her trips. Good luck!

I am in Seattle and barn manage for a top H/J barn. I will only use Brookledge, well worth the added cost. They haul for me all over the country, just took a load to Palm Beach. They now have rigs on the West Coast and go to Colorado frequently.

whoever you decide to use, think carefully. Here is a thread for Eventing.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?454805-New-OTTB-She-s-Here

Have you tried calling Johnson Transportation? http://www.johnsonhorsetransportation.com/

I have used them for trips up and down the east coast, I believe they also ship throughout the US.

I’ve used Brookledge twice. Once from PA to ND and then back. Like Goneaway hubby is military and we got upgraded to a box stall. I was already in ND when I shipped my gelding out so my sister and the barn owner at the time got him onto the trailer and he did great. I can’t say enough good things about Brookledge. Yes they are kind of expensive but I think all the long trips are going to be and at least they have a good reputation so you don’t worry the entire time!! (I was so nervous the first time I shipped my horse but when it came to ship him back I had no trouble because I knew they were going to take good care of him and he arrived in great shape!) I plan on using them next summer when I ship him from PA to CA, now that is an expensive trip!

Well, merrygoround gave me nightmares now haha. Thanks again for all the tips! IPEsq, I haven’t heard from Annick at all which I thought was weird - planning on calling her once I’m home from work. Thank you for the recommendation!!

I found she is pretty accessible by phone if she hasn’t responded to your web inquiry. Good luck!

Have you tried Bob Hubbard? I shipped a horse from KY to CO a year ago and was happy with the service.

Years ago I used Nationwide a few times and was always happy with them. It seems like all I see now are bad experiences, so it’s too bad their service went downhill!

I just purchased a new horse in MN this past week and have been trying to find a hauler. Nation-wide was recommended to me by another company who didn’t haul between Minnesota and Colorado. I made the mistake of checking all the reviews after I had already booked him with NW. When they called to confirm my booking they told me the truck would leave between the 11th and 13th and he’d be picked up on the 15th give or take a day.

I called Monday morning to make sure everything was set as they had never taken a deposit from me. The lady about gave me a heart attack when she made it sound like he may not be booked. She checked the file though and confirmed he was scheduled and took payment over the phone. Good thing he was or she may have been dealing with a temper tantrum to rival an eight year old. I WANT MY PONY!!

Anywho, she told me the truck had already left and still didn’t have an exact date of pick up but that it was still looking like the 15th +/- a day with delivery by the end of this week. All in all, the communication at this point leaves a little to be desired. I’ll update you with how it goes.

Update on Nation Wide - They called yesterday to let us know that the tentative pick up time would be today between 10 am and 2 pm Minnesota time. They called 1 hour before arrival to let the people at pickup know when they would be there. They got there at about 11 am and got him loaded without any issues. The office then called me this afternoon to let me know delivery would be between 8 am and noon tomorrow as they have one more stop in Iowa today. So far so good. The former owners who were there at pick up said the drivers were really nice and knew what they were doing. I’ll let you know tomorrow how he comes off the truck. That is, if I can pull myself away from him for a few minutes! :slight_smile:

My guy arrived this morning, they called an hour before they got to the barn. He came off happy and calm, legs were a little wobbly but otherwise wonderful. The driver that brought him off was very nice and patient when he was a little nervous about coming down the ramp. He went right in the stall, munched hay and drank without issue. From my experience I would recommend them but I am lucky enough to live 20 miles from their home base here in CO and my guy was the second to last stop so he was only on the truck for 22 hours. It may be different for a horse going coast to coast.

I’ve tried contacting Johnson, but they haven’t gotten back to me since they don’t usually go as far west as Colorado apparently.

Annick has been pretty vague as well - I asked her a few questions but only got an answer to one back…she has significantly less cost than Brookledge, but I’m considering going with Brookledge just for the confidence I have in a name brand…does that seem foolish? I’m normally a very laissez-faire horse mom but am truly freaking out at the prospect of shipping her off across the country, so maybe I just need to work on talking myself off the ledge haha.

There is one big problem with using Brookledge - I’m not entirely positive that they could get a rig in/out of the barn my horse is at (it’s a very small operation). I’ve seen a semi make it in/out of the barn across the street, should I consider that an option?

Brookledge has “shuttles” that can meet the big rigs at a more central location. My guy rode in the semi from Omaha to Lexington, then Lexington to the MD area, where he was loaded onto a smaller shuttle trailer and delivered to the farm.

Honestly, I think you’re better off spending the money and getting the peace of mind that comes with it. I’m not putting down Annick (I think she may have been the one to haul an ISH gelding my old employer sold down to FL and that was a good trip), but if you can’t get the communication to close the deal and you need to make a decision, I don’t think you can go wrong with Brookledge. I was very happy with my experience, and it was one less thing I had to worry about in an already stressful move across the country.

Thank you GoneAway!!

I also got a quote from Equine Express - has anyone had issues with them besides the one poster that said the trip was suddenly delayed? That wouldn’t be a big deal as long as it wasn’t delayed by two months or something - my biggest priorities are safety/care for my horse and good communication.

Thanks again everyone!

A lot of COTHers have had good experiences with Equine Express, but I chose Brookledge over them because EE’s hub is in Texas (not at all on the way) and there was a possibility of a weeklong layover there. Brookledge had a layover, too, but it was only a day and I was able to confirm the facility was top notch, all things that eased my mind about the whole trip!

I have been very happy with EE. Their rigs and drivers are as advertised (no surprises).

I used Brookledge for Pa to Tennessee no issue - I used a box. I also moved mine (including seniors in their 20s) from Pa to Indy in straights with no issue.

Brookledge was totally worth the money.