Unlimited access >

Short back horse, DP, Pegasus, Tad Coffin?

I just got a four year old with the shortest back I’ve ever seen. Tried him in every saddle in the barn and no dice, he has big round ribs and is VERY compact. Riding bareback (yes we resorted to this for a week between saddles) put me in the perfect spot and I’m thrilled that my new Pegasus puts me there too and allows him all the shoulder and lumbar freedom he needs to move comfortably. I’ve only had it two weeks but he seems to really like it which is a big change from everything else I tried prior. His gaits are unrestricted and his ears are forward. I got an older Uta Graf model because it allowed for a trial and it was local to me. Ron, the owner of Pegasus Butterfly is great to work with and easily accessible by text or phone. He recommended the Lukka (made for really short backed Icelandics) and I would have liked to try that too but because the Uta Graf was local to me I opted for that and the seven day trial. I’ve been using my memory foam half pad with a shim for cantle but the Pegasus shimmable memory foam pad is in the mail. Definitely would recommend trying. Some people seem to hate them from what I’ve been able to pull up from old threads but so far I’m really happy with mine… If you buy used (there are a few with trials on the tack groups on fb) Ron will change panels to extra short pony panels (16”) for 350 plus shipping. If you buy from Pegasus (allsaddles.com) you get a 30 day trial but if for some reason you don’t like it, you can only exchange for a different saddle from all saddles and don’t get money back. That was too much of a commitment for me after going through 7 saddles so found the used local saddle and went that route. In retrospect the used lukka he had in stock would probably have worked great too. He also offered to walk me through tack up and shimming over a face time call. Good luck! I’ll attach a pic of my really short backed boy.
PS- I believe there is a “breaking in” period when you buy them brand new while the hinges take a few rides to adjust to the width of your horse(s). The idea of putting a saddle on my neon green four year old to break in didn’t bode well and I figured I’d have to get the hinges limbered up on my older quiet gelding before trying it on the baby, but since Ron does have a few used models in stock too (with extra short panels for very short backs) I imagine that that would be a non issue with them.

62FE41B2-2194-4E23-96EE-C15FCB752FC6.jpeg

4BF085C4-8E90-4620-B4F1-C725DECD48E0.jpeg

F222C846-5748-4A89-8558-DE1897DA31CF.jpeg

2 Likes

Oh can I relate! Some of the suggestions I received were downright laughable and clearly people enterpret “short backed” as “normal backed” for some reason. Like, have they ever seen a horse with an actual short back?

Mine has barely enough real estate for a 16" saddle. Never mind the 17.5" that I need. I tried a saddle with short panels under a larger seat and it made him sore. This time I went with Sommer and a different style panel that he likes much more.

Best of luck with your search.

Look for models that are upswept on the back Visit for more

I rode my short-backed 15 hand Paint in an 18" Spirig with absolutely no issues. (I didn’t really need an 18", but it didn’t really feel too big, and it’s set-back stirrup bars were a godsend for my shortlegged self. It is upswept in the back. My saddle is used and now over 30 years old, but they do still make them.

1 Like

I have a Spirig. It is also a Swiss saddle, an very well made. It was fitted by Michael Spirig himself…but I ended up having it readjusted by a local fitter. Given a choice of the Roosli or the Spirig, one of my horses definitely says he prefers the Roosli and the other the Spirig.

1 Like

That sounds amazing! I talked to a Pegasus Rep and they sound like a really great design. I wish I knew more people who had ridden in them. I also think the Tad Coffin sounds amazing but I am not sure they are adjustable.

This helps a lot! I talked to Ron today and he seems like he might be my answer!

2 Likes

Thank you so much! It sounds like people have had a lot more experience with Pegasus than with DP.

My 13.1 pony has an extremely small area for a saddle and is built downhill, no withers. My saddle fitter recommended an older Passier. Upswept panels and not difficult to adjust with a Baum tree. Found an ancient one on eBay for just over $300 and he loves it. Very minimalist, just a tiny knee roll, very close contact. I can just whisper my aids.

1 Like

I have impossibly short backed Lipizzan ponies and tried a few hundred saddles. Finally found the Loxley dressage with shortened panels, fits like a dream and rides like a pro saddle. Wonderful quality at a very reasonable price point and can be customized at no extra charge

I was going to suggest this as well. My trainer has a very short-backed, round morgan mare and so far, this has been the only saddle that worked. I’m saddle shopping for my boy and I tried her saddle. At first I wasn’t sure but by the end of the ride I was loving the saddle. Unfortunately, I don’t think it worked as well on my horse. I may try a non-cob model to see if it works better.

I get it. My gelding has something like 17 inches of workable space. I think people on this site told me I must be mistaken, because their perspective of a short back was pretty much a normal back to my horse’s by comparison. Btw, the space was correctly measured by two saddle fitters, so he really is just a shortie backed boy.

That being said, the only affordable saddle that fit the space was a Presrige Lucky, which is basically their pony saddle. I do not know how small you are, but I am short and thin, and it is still a little snug at times as far as the blocks go. I could probably have them altered, but I haven’t yet. My 5’6 trainer did ride in it and showed in it also, and said it was okay for her, so it obviously varies for different body types, like anything else. Best part is, they are cheap.

I have a Sommer Diplomat for my short backed, very round Arab cross. It also has short points to accommodate her big shoulder.

So, I, too, am curious about some of these saddles that are designed for shorter-backed horses. My horse isn’t SUPER short-backed, but he’s more compact than a lot of other horses in our barn. This might be a weird question, but how do some of these saddles like the Pegasus with the shorter panels and cut-out withers work for riders who are middle-aged and fluffy and who don’t have the figure we had 20 years ago? lol It just seems like there wouldn’t be as much room in the seat?

I just went on the Pegasus Butterfly saddle site.

On the sale page I saw one 19.5" saddle and several 18" saddles.

They should have more room in the seat for the rider.

Because there is no traditional pommel you have more room for your seat in the saddle than it appears.

1 Like

I just received my Prestige X D1D zero. I usually ride in a 16.5 inch seat but it was suggested that I purchase the 17 inch because of my age as opposed to going with the Prestige Lucky which is what got me looking into this brand in the first place. I had two saddle fitters look at my horse and tracings and strongly recommend that I try out the pony saddle by Prestige. Well when I spoke to Ron at All Saddles, he explained that the Prestige seat runs smaller than true to size and he explained that in my situation in that I’m vertically challenged but I have a long inseam for my height (longer femur) and basically no waist (very short torso) the 17 inch seat in one of their other models would be better. I was concerned that my knee would shoot over the front of the flap/knee roll of the Lucky. He offered to put the extra short panels on the Prestige X D1D zero and explained how this saddle even without the short panels is designed for the shorter back. Well after one ride I’m not going to make any declarations but this, the extra short panels on this model and the 17 seat to accommodate my mature body was the right recommendation for us both. The saddle definitely fits within my horse’s (welsh cob) minimal real estate lengthwise and appears to accommodate his more beer keg (though not in need of a hoop tree) shape. He’s really developed through his shoulders and his loin and there is plenty of clearance of both areas. I have to work tomorrow but am looking forward to Friday when I get to ride again.

2 Likes