Unlimited access >

Should I charge extra to feed/administer Regumate?

Exactly!

As with human doctors, vets are not often well versed in pharmaceuticals and all of the possible exposure risks. My twin sister’s best friend is a pharmacist and manages multiple locations, and more often than you would expect she has to call doctors to change the prescription sent through for a patient because it would literally kill (or cause serious medical issues) them when combined with the patient’s other medicines. So, I prefer to do my own due diligence.

Altrenogest is readily absorbed through the skin. Acute effects are possible, however chronic effects are extremely likely. It’s one thing to say it’s not a huge deal if it gets on your skin once. But the risk of administering it daily for months or years greatly increases the risk of chronic exposure and the health hazards that result.
I guess if one has already gone through menopause it’s not a problem.
To each their own but, even a small risk of reproductive effects is not worth it for me.

Dropping it from a bag into her feed pan still poses a risk of the mare rubs her mouth on the stall walls, stall door, licks while eating, etc.

7 Likes

This should be screamed from the roof tops.

I some times put a drizzle of molasses on top of one horse’s feed to get them to eat the supplements. It is amazing where I find molasses smears. I only see them because molasses is dark. A little molasses can be smeared lots of strange places by a busy horse lip.

2 Likes

A friend of mine had a mare on Regumate. Each week she provided the BO 7 syringes already filled with the Regumate dose so the BO only dealt with giving it. It seemed to work out well for her and the BO.

Still, if easy, low key horse management is your ideal program Regumate does not fit in, IMO.

3 Likes

Yes charge extra, if you do it at all. I wouldn’t be willing to give Regumate to anything that didn’t live in a stall where I could easily dose them on my own.

I worked at a barn where we had one mare on Regumate. It was a HUGE hassle. We kept the container in a special bin where it couldn’t drip on everything. Whoever was dosing that day had to put on goggles and doubled-up gloves to just fill the syringe/gun/doser. A second person then drove them out to the pasture where the mare was, grabbed the mare and held her while the first person gave her the dose. Then everything had to be put back, wiped down, and cleaned.

1 Like

Yeah, I told the boarder I would prefer she switch to the injections… My husband or one of the barn girls will often do chores for me and I don’t want to have to ask them to give it to the mare orally or even have them glove up to put it in her feed. Just a lot of hassle for my non-horsey husband. And it can mess with men’s libido, so it’s not like he’s immune to it’s influence… :grimacing: I board horses so I can afford to ride and show my own horses, so that means I want to have as much time as possible to work with them, not clean my clothing or barn. :wink:

5 Likes

This is your reminder that no matter how much you like a boarder if their horse’s needs can’t be met by your management routine they must either look after it themselves or move the horse. Don’t get into extra fees for things you don’t do. It’s not worth the pittance you charge.

Too many people try to accommodate everyone instead of defining the services offered and letting the boarder decide if it works for them.

6 Likes

My mare gets it put directly on her feed. She is on it about 8-9 months of the year. Another mare is also on it .

The barn owner does not charge extra, they may view it as a the same as adding the arsenal of supplements that a lot of boarders use.

I don’t think the monthly shot works as well, it I could be wrong

1 Like

Normally I would not charge extra if I did stall board and knew none of the other horses or myself would come in contact with it. But since it would cause me and my help to change our routine, that’s why I’m charging extra or requesting she switch. Also I’m very sensitive to progesterone, so even a little bit could mess up my hormone balance.

You are correct the monthly has had mixed reviews on it’s effectiveness, but the bi-weekly has been seen as just as effective as the daily doses. For only $40 extra per month to save me some headaches or worry, I’d say that’s not too bad. However, there are many barns in the area if the owner preferred to stay on the daily doses that would probably accommodate her. We’ve already talked though and she’s happy to switch back to the injections as she’s done it in the past and I found a supplier that is cheaper for her than when she had previously given it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What injectable are you referring to? Depo can kill a horse. https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/side-effects-may-include-sudden-death

What injectable are you referring to? Depo can kill a horse. https://www.chronofhorse.com/article/side-effects-may-include-sudden-death

Slow-release formulations of altrenogest (Regumate) are available with a prescription.

A single 500mg dose willmsuppress estrus for an average of 32 days. These are different from “Depo”.

3 Likes

Thanks! I have to look into that… my mare’s on Regumate.

I saw a post on FB about an alternative to Regumate. Was something similar to the “marble method” but one that actually has been researched. And they get intentionally taken out after 6 months or so.

Just found it. It’s called iUPOD and was developed by Tufts. The “pearls” are placed in the uterus for six months at a time. Then they are removed with a strong magnet. The plan is to use them just during the time of year when mares cycle.