Unlimited access >

Should I renegotiate working off board or just move?

I had been working off board on horses since I was a kid. Luckily when I hit my 30s I was able to afford to stop. Some places were easy gigs and I was getting an amazing deal. Some were slave labor. Some arrangements were informal. Others counted my hours to the minute and billed me any difference accordingly.

But they all had one thing in common: eventually, they came to an uncomfortable end.

It sounds like this arrangement may have just run its course.

14 Likes

Seriously - look into this. I’m thinking about a vacation in July and need a dog and horse sitter. The farm sitter is going to cost more than the Air BnB but I’m willing to pay it so that I don’t have to worry.

If you were interested, you could probably pick up a handful of farmsitting gigs to cover vacations through a year and make more than you were working off.

9 Likes

Another vote for this! I have a competent farm sitter but would prefer one that actually has horse experience.

I will offer that my requirement that they have an actual business with liability insurance rules out my using most of the people who do this casually. (I don’t think they realize the risk they are taking on by going to someone else’s property and getting paid to do work there.)

If it’s helpful, here is the insurance coverage my farm sitter uses: Pet Sitters Associates, LLC
I contacted them to confirm that horses/farm animals are covered and they said yes as long as they are considered pets. So this works for her coming to my house to care for my ‘backyard horses’.

3 Likes

You should totally start farm sitting. I’m having the absolute hardest time people that are willing to call me back or even give me available times.

I’m tempted to do and barter with neighboring farms.

Consider as an independent contractor sitter, you can be bonded for very little a year, along with standard liability insurance, check into it.
Then add that bit more to your bills.
In the oil field is a very common requirement for many such contractors.
It may give your clients more peace of mind that you are responsible.

1 Like

IRS on barter

I remember when the IRS got a handle on how widespread this was. All that taxable income disappearing.

1 Like

indeed! It would be a pleasure to hear about it actually. I’ve so sympathized with OP…

2 Likes

This thread reminded me that in the last week I saw a FB ad for “part time” help: 5 hrs a day, 6 days a week for a stall in return. The second time I saw it, it was added that this was a $715 value IIRC.

I resisted to urge to say “Wow, $5/hr” the first time I saw the ad and guessed $600/month board.

4 Likes

The IRS is way too busy to go after this stuff now.

4 Likes

Never seen situations like this successful long term in over 50 years boarding out. Theres nothing in writing and, bottom line, its her property and her horses yet you make most decisions. Sooner or later she will start resenting your taking over her farm and horses. Sounds like you disagree with what she thinks so do it your way and, no matter the right or wrong, thats going to blow up on you.

This passive aggressive relationship on her part is a lit fuse. She will explode on you over your decisions.

Best be prepared. Not a good long term set up and you sound like you have gotten emotionally involved with her farm and horses. Step back and think about it. Doesn’t matter if you are right, she is the owner. Sooner or later that fuse will hit the bomb.

10 Likes

Not sure what else you do but I know I would not want to take care of a barn twice a day 7 days a week. If it were me, I’d find another situation for your retired horse if you can afford it.

1 Like

None of this has to be framed as right vs wrong. Just “Over time, the time/effort required for horse care that I’ve been providing has increased, and I’m afraid the current situation isn’t a good fit for me.”
Then: “What would make it a good fit is if we can do 1, 2, and 3. Will that work for you?”

You don’t owe any reasons, apologies, or excuses - just “I realize you are disappointed, but I’m hoping we can craft a revised agreement that will work for both of us.” If she gets testy, give her space to process. “Thanks for hearing me out and I hope you’ll give my suggested solution some thought. I’ll circle back in a few days to hear what you think.”

Chances are, she’s not purposely piling more work on you-- she may be oblivious to how much the workload has changed, and in any event, it’s fair for her to assume that you didn’t object since you’ve accepted the changes. But since what you are proposing will increase her costs, it’s always possible she’ll react badly. So I’d have a backup boarding situation already scoped out before having this conversation.

(Likewise, don’t be offended if what you propose doesn’t work for her. This no-fault attitude needs to go both ways. It’s just not a good fit.)

4 Likes