Unlimited access >

Should I take my dog to Rolex?

Add me to the NO category. For all the above reasons (and I happen to love dogs).

Sorry if this sounds cranky, but Rolex is my one trip away every year. It’s expensive and requires a small army of volunteers at home to allow me the freedom to go. Something about making all those plans, and the crazy expensive plane ticket, to find myself tripping over dogs, stepping in poop, and secretly wishing someone would muzzle the yapsters on xc day … Ugh.

It is a horse show after all.

No.

[QUOTE=ACMEeventing;7518563]
find myself tripping over dogs, stepping in poop, and secretly wishing someone would muzzle the yapsters on xc day … Ugh. [/QUOTE]
Agreed. Never understood why people bring ill-mannered pushy barkers and don’t pick up their dog poop (even on the well-traveled paths).

No ~ go and simply enjoy without DOG ~

No ~ simply go and enjoy Rolex without your DOG !~

Personally, it’s too much of a hassle to constantly be worried about my dog’s well-being to bring him on a trip like that. The weather is too variable and the days can be long. Dealing w toting their water around, making sure they aren’t in the way/being a bother just gets in my way of relaxing and having fun. It’s easier to leave them at home. Then I can eat, drink, shop, cheer the horse/riders on as I wish. :smiley:

I bring my dog every year. She wants to be with us and is a good traveler. I have been going to Rolex from the beginning and I can’t even remember a time when a dog has been a serious problem. My terrier is small so we put her in a baby stroller. Yeah, we get a lot of comments, but who cares? She doesn’t get stepped on and that stroller makes one fine shopping cart. Its also a great way to haul the cooler out to XC with plenty of room for my pup. If your dog is well behaved and up for crowds, bring him. I wouldn’t do the daycare either. And don’t forget your baggies :slight_smile:

I vote “no” as well. It’s just too much of a hassle and though our dogs are great with horses, I don’t find mixing the two much fun.

If you do opt to to bring your dog, please make sure you keep it away from Buck Davidson. The poor man has had the devil’s own luck with dogs on xc. :lol:

[QUOTE=JER;7517865]
I took my dog to Rolex last year. She’s not the outdoorsy type at all but she does like to go for a ride in the car with me.

I left her at the kennel. She was fine. Other dogs barked. She doesn’t care about other dogs. She slept in her cage, probably relieved that she didn’t have to tromp around XC.

The kennel does require vaccine records, however, so don’t forget them if there’s any chance you might leave your dog at the kennel.[/QUOTE]

I have taken my dog (JRT) twice in the past; once when she was about 9 months old, and again in 2009, when she was 10. It was hot the last time I took her, and as I discovered, her endurance had declined more than I thought. I used the dog daycare each day thereafter and not only was she fine, she was a big hit. The tent is run by the Lexington Humane Society and the volunteers, with my permission, let her play with the children in the doggy swimming pool. I realize some people might consider this flippant on my part as a dog owner, but she loves children, is a social butterfly, and carrying 12 pounds of exhausted dog gets heavy! I did, however, decide after that event that I wouldn’t take a dog to Rolex again unless I lived close enough to drive in for XC day.

We did it once and never again. Granted, he’s not a good horse dog in general, just gets way worked up when the horses go by and can’t contain himself. I spent most of my time on XC distracting him and trying to place him for success and to not totally annoy people.

Leaving my dog home…

Thanks for everyone’s comments. I’ve decided to leave my dog home. He is very good with crowds and people and I would never use one of those flex leashes with crowds of people but sounds like the best decision to leave him home…especially for my first time. Thanks again everyone![INDENT][/INDENT]

I’m resurrecting this thread, as my dog is coming to rolex as I won’t be able to go without him (no boarding options, and my parents dog does not get along).

This dog is very farm/horse/people/dog friendly, and has been extensively socialized. He has been to many crowded outdoor malls and art galleries, so I am not too worried, although I will be watching to ensure he is not overwhelmed. (And to the people worried about him taking a spot along the string during xc day, he knows a down stay in between my legs, so he will only take as much room as I do!)

I will be bringing treats, bags, water, bowls, and food to carry during the day; as well as multiple leashes (only short ones!) and collars to make sure we are prepared incase something happens. We will also have a muzzle and raincoat for him. Dog is chipped and will wear tags all weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I am not thinking of?

Why do you have a muzzle for your dog? What kind of muzzle?

We will also have a muzzle and raincoat for him. Dog is chipped and will wear tags all weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I am not thinking of?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Arzny;8604644]
I’m resurrecting this thread, as my dog is coming to rolex as I won’t be able to go without him (no boarding options, and my parents dog does not get along).

This dog is very farm/horse/people/dog friendly, and has been extensively socialized. He has been to many crowded outdoor malls and art galleries, so I am not too worried, although I will be watching to ensure he is not overwhelmed. (And to the people worried about him taking a spot along the string during xc day, he knows a down stay in between my legs, so he will only take as much room as I do!)

I will be bringing treats, bags, water, bowls, and food to carry during the day; as well as multiple leashes (only short ones!) and collars to make sure we are prepared incase something happens. We will also have a muzzle and raincoat for him. Dog is chipped and will wear tags all weekend.

Why not day board him locally here in Lexington? We have several doggie day care places and boarding kennels.

I’m against dogs at Rolex after stepping in dog crap and watching them get loose and run on course. Not to mention how crowded it is, especially if you plan to do any shopping.

[QUOTE=kcrubin;8605078]
Why do you have a muzzle for your dog? What kind of muzzle?

We will also have a muzzle and raincoat for him. Dog is chipped and will wear tags all weekend.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I am not thinking of?[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

As a responsible owner for a dog that has been trained in bite work, whenever he goes in public I always have a way to prevent the absolute worst from happening. While he is trainer to only go when given a command, and has never offered any aggression, his breed (Belgian Malinois), and his training make me feel better if I have one.
It’s just a basic basket muzzle.
Edited to add: he’s never worn it in public, and his trainer insists that he will be fine and doesn’t need it, but I like the option. Much like putting a stud chain on a quiet horse when walking across at busy road at a show, etc

[QUOTE=Arzny;8605140]

As a responsible owner for a dog that has been trained in bite work, whenever he goes in public I always have a way to prevent the absolute worst from happening. While he is trainer to only go when given a command, and has never offered any aggression, his breed (Belgian Malinois), and his training make me feel better if I have one.
It’s just a basic basket muzzle.
Edited to add: he’s never worn it in public, and his trainer insists that he will be fine and doesn’t need it, but I like the option. Much like putting a stud chain on a quiet horse when walking across at busy road at a show, etc[/QUOTE]

Unreal. If I saw a large breed dog (I don’t know you from Adam) wearing a muzzle in a large horse park with children running around, the words that come to mind for you sure wouldn’t be “responsible.”

I can’t do anything about it because KHP allows it, but I would sure expect someone to complain about you anyway.

As George Morris once said 'I don’t bring my horse to dog shows, so don’t bring your dog to horse shows." I love dogs, but Rolex is not a place for them. Especially for a large dog trained in bite work. Dog may be perfectly behaved but the Rolex can be overwhelming with people, activity, noise, crowds, and horses.

Thanks all who replied, I’m going to be calling boarding places in Lexington, any suggestions?

To those who are uncomfortable seeing a large dog in a muzzle, genuine question: When you see police dogs in muzzles, are you uncomfortable? This is very interesting to me, as often where I live you see muzzled dogs, (service dogs, working police and military dogs, etc). Thanks!

I see a muzzle and I absolutely think - responsible owner. Not getting at all why that would suggest the opposite – do people just assume it means the dog is aggressive?

I mean, wouldn’t you rather see a potential problem controlled and prevented rather than denial of a potential issue (“poopsie would never hurt anybody!” followed by poopsie snapping at the kid who runs up and grabs him unexpectedly).

I guess it’s like being at the beach with your reliably trained dogs, but still obeying the leash laws – and having everyone else ask you if your dogs are a problem because you are actually, you know, obeying the law. ???

All that in defense of muzzles said, however, I wouldn’t take a dog to Rolex or many horse events at all. I like the idea of finding local doggie daycare.

[QUOTE=Arzny;8604644]

Something to scoop the poop and a place to keep it until you can find a trash can. My friends forgot there aren’t always trash cans right there when you scoop and bag a fresh deposit, she ended up toting a few around for quite awhile rather then lose a prime viewing spot at Head of the Lake and didn’t want them in her camera bag or jacket pocket…imagine that

I never minded dogs at horse shows, used to bring an Aussie with me out in So Cal until he got into it with a Heeler despite the fact both were leashed. But these days getting to dislike them. Seems there are 20 time more then there used to be and a good percentage of them are not particularly well controlled by owners who do not even attempt to pick up after them. Really bad in the vendors areas and human eating areas-despite posted signs in some places.

[QUOTE=Arzny;8605260]

To those who are uncomfortable seeing a large dog in a muzzle, genuine question: When you see police dogs in muzzles, are you uncomfortable? This is very interesting to me, as often where I live you see muzzled dogs, (service dogs, working police and military dogs, etc). Thanks![/QUOTE]

A police or service dog has far, far better training than Joe Schmo’s dog. And yes, you are Joe Schmo when you are wandering around in a crowd of thousands at Rolex.

[QUOTE=Rallycairn;8605290]I see a muzzle and I absolutely think - responsible owner. Not getting at all why that would suggest the opposite – do people just assume it means the dog is aggressive?

I mean, wouldn’t you rather see a potential problem controlled and prevented rather than denial of a potential issue (“poopsie would never hurt anybody!” followed by poopsie snapping at the kid who runs up and grabs him unexpectedly).[/QUOTE]

I would far rather see that “potential problem” be left at home. And yes, I would ABSOLUTELY assume a dog muzzled in public is aggressive, who wouldn’t?!

I have a Belgian. I am a responsible owner, and he is (soft) muzzled at the vet for everyone’s safety, as most who have the breed will tell you is recommended. I sure as heck would not put him, voluntarily, into any other situation where I would feel that I need to muzzle him. That is also being a responsible owner.